Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Can that be welded?

I don't know. Will know more tomorrow after I talk with the machine shop. Looking online it says that Yes sometimes you can repair cracks. But don't know about this spot.

Found a used engine in Moses Lake for $400. So if they say it can't be repaired I might go get the engine and then take the block to the machine shop and have them prep it. But this kind of makes me think I won't be making the June Moab trip.

Can that be welded?

Usually yes, but it needs to be a very competent machine shop to get it right…

Unless the block is a rare find, it’s not worth it. I would always be worried about that block. I’d get a used block and start fresh with measurements and machining…

I would have the camshaft (especially the cam) and crankshaft checked as well. Just to make sure they were true…

Reactions: Wildman and Rickyd
Rick, I'm so sorry to see those cracks. That totally sucks. Do you think the cam bearing install cracked the block or bad cam or something else?

Rick, I'm so sorry to see those cracks. That totally sucks. Do you think the cam bearing install cracked the block or bad cam or something else?

I think it was the valve springs binding and then breaking the one rocker arm & then installing the steel rocker arms. I'd say that the push rods are strong.

Unless the block is a rare find, it’s not worth it. I would always be worried about that block. I’d get a used block and start fresh with measurements and machining…

I would have the camshaft (especially the cam) and crankshaft checked as well. Just to make sure they were true…

I agree with you on this. And like I said I found a used engine a little over an hour away from me. So I think I'll go pick it up.

I think it was the valve springs binding and then breaking the one rocker arm & then installing the steel rocker arms. I'd say that the push rods are strong.

I agree with you on this. And like I said I found a used engine a little over an hour away from me. So I think I'll go pick it up.

Smart to just go get the other one. You may be able to sell off some of the parts you won't be using using to recoup some $$. I was able to do that when I bought a different motor after I had a seized piston. I was able to sell the old block, heads, cam and crank.

Smart to just go get the other one. You may be able to sell off some of the parts you won't be using using to recoup some $$. I was able to do that when I bought a different motor after I had a seized piston. I was able to sell the old block, heads, cam and crank.

I'll have to wait and see. If the heads are good and no cracks they are hard to find. But once I get a new block then I've got to get all the machine work done to it too. My block is bored .030 over.

• Sad
Reactions: lBasket and Sj's TJ

I was thinking the same thing. Taking a straight edge to the cam would be a good idea

Its been a couple of weeks since I’ve caught up on your thread, Rick. This SUCKS. I’m hoping for some magic here because we all want to see you and your Jeep in Moab this June.

I'd love to say I'll make it but I'm doubting it at this point.
Called the machine shop and they are going to see if they have a spare block laying around. But they're still 3-4 weeks out with the machine work that'll need to be done.