Will a 32RH work well with 4.88 gears and 35s?

This doesn't need to turn into a Manual or Automatic debate.

Rubicon88,
All those types of terrain you listed are what I wheel on here in WA and I run an auto tranny. I use to be a die hard manual tranny guy too but once I was injuried I had to switch to a automatic transmission. Would I go back now if I had the choice? Nope not likely.
You obviously haven't used more modern autos on the trail by your comments because that is how I use to think also.
And my 46RE isn't even CLOSE to being as modern as some of the new 6-10 speed automatics offered now. And you can choose which gear to be in and they do offer the same compression braking that a manual transmission does.

About the only thing you can't do in a auto that you can a manual is to compression start your rig.

Wouldn’t the aw4 also be an option? You can find those everywhere and have been many write ups on installs. I know it has it’s quirks but there was a time it was the next big mod. My only experience is swapping the drivetrain from an xj into a yj and the only complicated part was wiring.

Wouldn’t the aw4 also be an option? You can find those everywhere and have been many write ups on installs. I know it has it’s quirks but there was a time it was the next big mod. My only experience is swapping the drivetrain from an xj into a yj and the only complicated part was wiring.
The AW4 is longer and it runs hotter than the 32RH which is why it's no longer the popular swap it used to be. I'd run a 32RH over an AW4 if it's for a SWB TJ.

ALSO, with the 32RH , is it geared lower? so when I put my transfer case in low gear what will the ratio be ? will it be a lower gear ration than my current set up??

I'm not that familiar with it either but I suspect with 4.88s that it will not automatically downshift as 2nd gear at freeway speeds would be in excess of redline RPMs, based on the Grimm Jeeper charts.

It does have a lockup torque converter but if I recall correctly it only locks on 3rd gear. I'll bet it can lock and unlock at freeway speeds based on throttle input, but unlocking it doesn't give you nearly as much gain as being able to use a more appropriate gear.
It does unlock with enough throttle. It’s a difference that can be felt. Even more throttle will get you a downshift and it will sound like it’s trying to go somewhere. In my opinion the downshifting at the upper extreme doesn’t give enough bang for buck considering the revs.
I live in an area with readily available freeways so I don’t plan to gear any lower. If I lived out in the sticks or planned to only drive my Jeep as a toy, I would consider 4.88.

ALSO, with the 32RH , is it geared lower? so when I put my transfer case in low gear what will the ratio be ? will it be a lower gear ration than my current set up??
Due to the magic of its torque converter, an automatic has a lower EFFECTIVE 1st gear ratio than any manual transmission. Before you pro-manual types jump in to disagree, you have to understand that the 1st gear ratio given for an automatic is not (!) the net 1st gear ratio. An automatic's 1st gear ratio is effectively infinitely low due to its torque converter.

Another way to put it is a Jeep with an automatic has an infinitely low 1st gear ratio and thus an infinitely high crawl ratio.

If you want to go .0000001 mph with an automatic for ultimate control on a technically challenging part of a tral, it'll let you do that because its torque converter allows that. Not so with a manual transmission with its fixed 1st gear ratio.

Not to mention the 2-3X torque multiplication that takes place inside the automatic's torque converter which gives more 'oomph' when getting up & over tough obstacles.

All of which is why rock crawlers love and convert to automatic transmissions.

Due to the magic of its torque converter, an automatic has a lower EFFECTIVE 1st gear ratio than any manual transmission. Before you pro-manual types jump in to disagree, you have to understand that the 1st gear ratio given for an automatic is not (!) the net 1st gear ratio. An automatic's 1st gear ratio is effectively infinitely low due to its torque converter.

Another way to put it is a Jeep with an automatic has an infinitely low 1st gear ratio and thus an infinitely high crawl ratio.

If you want to go .0000001 mph with an automatic for ultimate control on a technically challenging part of a tral, it'll let you do that because its torque converter allows that. Not so with a manual transmission with its fixed 1st gear ratio.

Not to mention the 2-3X torque multiplication that takes place inside the automatic's torque converter which gives more 'oomph' when getting up & over tough obstacles.

All of which is why rock crawlers love and convert to automatic transmissions.
Good explanation. Well said.

Due to the magic of its torque converter,
Jerry do you know if the 32RH torque converter uses a lock up clutch ? I have read where some of the older torque converters dont use a lock up clutch , but the more modern torque converters do use a lock up clutch as part of the assembly of the torque converter

Jerry do you know if the 32RH torque converter uses a lock up clutch ? I have read where some of the older torque converters dont use a lock up clutch , but the more modern torque converters do use a lock up clutch as part of the assembly of the torque converter
Have you not been reading the replies in this thread? Lockup has been mentioned multiple times. A 32rh from a TJ uses a lock up converter.

Last edited:
Have you not need reading the replies in this thread? Lockup has been mentioned multiple times. A 32rh from a TJ uses a lock up converter.
Easy there Lou, I've read all the replies multipule times. Not knowing anything about torque converters , Ive been watching vids and reading about the most impressive part of the automatic transmission. Some of them actually have a clutch plate (the newer ones) and maybe the older ones did not. The stator still locks up for initial start off due to a bearing that only spins one way. but the clutch plates takes up slack and makes for a smoother change over and even more torque. I really dont know when the clutch plate was implemented into the torque converters, but looks like it was a great thing.

Easy there Lou, I've read all the replies multipule times.
It does have a lockup torque converter but if I recall correctly it only locks on 3rd gear. I'll bet it can lock and unlock at freeway speeds based on throttle input, but unlocking it doesn't give you nearly as much gain as being able to use a more appropriate gear.
It has 3 forward ratios and a lock up.
It was purely a mechanical swap, no wiring changes needed to be done other than to replace the PCM with one programmed for the 32RH so its lock-up torque converter would work properly and lock once a cruising speed is reached.

Im really not trying to be a dick but come on man...

Exactly what is it you're disagreeing with?

Have you not been reading the replies in this thread? Lockup has been mentioned multiple times. A 32rh from a TJ uses a lock up converter.

He's not disagreeing with anything he was pointing out that it had been said more than once that the 32RH has a lock up torque converter.