Will this Detroit locker fit?

Are you wanting to transfer your existing thick cut 5.13 gears over to the Detroit? If so, you need a 3.73 and (numerically) lower carrier.

Are you wanting to transfer your existing thick cut 5.13 gears over to the Detroit? If so, you need a 3.73 and (numerically) lower carrier.
I'm not sure how any of that works. I just wanted it locked up in the rear at all times. I thought the Detroit was the way to go.

I'm not sure how any of that works. I just wanted it locked up in the rear at all times. I thought the Detroit was the way to go.
Then you want a spool instead.

Either way, because the Rubicon locker is a 3.73 and down locker, it uses thick cut gears to run the 4.10 that came from the factory. Your 5.13s are also thick cut.

Therefore, in order to use your existing gears, you need a 3.73 and down locker. If you plan to use a fresh gear set, then you can buy a 3.92 and up locker and use standard cut gears.

Yes that's the right model for standard (non thick) 5.13 gears but it won't work for yours. Assuming your present 5.13 gears are installed onto the factory Rubicon locker, those same gears cannot be moved over to that particular model of Detroit Locker.

The issue is your Rubicon Locker is made to hold 3.73 and down. When you want to install 4.10, 5.13, etc. you have to buy special 'thick' R&P gear sets which would not fit the above version of the Detroit Locker.

What you can do is get the other version of Detroit Locker which is made for 3.73 and down and you can then bolt your existing ring gear to the new Detroit. Set the back lash and you're good to go. Like this one that will accept your current ring gear since it has the same ring gear position as your current Rubicon locker. https://www.justdifferentials.com/Dana-Model-44-Detroit-Locker-p/det187sl-16d.htm

Reactions: LakeBeard
if you are having a shop do the install I'd let them order it. @Jerry Bransford has mentioned that from time to time and I think it's good advice. If you are doing the install be prepared for some shim madness.

Reactions: LakeBeard
Yes that's the right model for standard (non thick) 5.13 gears but it won't work for yours. Assuming your present 5.13 gears are installed onto the factory Rubicon locker, those same gears cannot be moved over to that particular model of Detroit Locker.

The issue is your Rubicon Locker is made to hold 3.73 and down. When you want to install 4.10, 5.13, etc. you have to buy special 'thick' R&P gear sets which would not fit the above version of the Detroit Locker.

What you can do is get the other version of Detroit Locker which is made for 3.73 and down and you can then bolt your existing ring gear to the new Detroit. Set the back lash and you're good to go. Like this one that will accept your current ring gear since it has the same ring gear position as your current Rubicon locker. https://www.justdifferentials.com/Dana-Model-44-Detroit-Locker-p/det187sl-16d.htm
Thanks!
if you are having a shop do the install I'd let them order it. @Jerry Bransford has mentioned that from time to time and I think it's good advice. If you are doing the install be prepared for some shim madness.
I'm having a shop do this work, this is way over my head.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford