Winch cover or not?

I made a Kydex cover for my synthetic lined Warn. Just buy a 12" by 12" sheet of kydex, and trim to size. Heat with a heat gun and mold it wearing gloves. It's just for UV protection covering the spool and the synthetic line. Snaps on, snaps off. Had for a couple years now.
My steel wired winches I don't cover at all..

I thought about manufacturing these and selling them for maybe $30. But they are so simple to make my profit margin isn't worth the time.

20190205_115914.jpg

20190205_115923.jpg

Of course if enuf of you are interested... I'll post a you tube video of how it works.
Send me some dimensions of your winch and I'll knock out a few and sell them for material cost and a cpl bucks for my time.
Or we can meet at TDS and I'll build and install one on your winch. 😉

Of course if enuf of you are interested... I'll post a you tube video of how it works.
Send me some dimensions of your winch and I'll knock out a few and sell them for material cost and a cpl bucks for my time.
Or we can meet at TDS and I'll build and install one on your winch. 😉

Thanks for the offer, that's very kind of you and I like your design but Alabama to California and back is more of a road trip than I want to tackle in my TJ!!! :)

Reactions: OldButStillJeeping
Is that cover made from neoprene?
No...A quote from the website...

"our covers are made in the U.S.A. using our seat cover fabric and 1/4" open cell foam backing. "

Its pretty nice, but NOT water or dust proof. It does breath nicely though, so I haven't seen any "trapped Moisture" like you might get with a vinyl or neoprene cover. I bought it mostly for sun protection and because its a cleaner look to me than just having the winch hang out in the open.

If you are going to cover the rope, also do the end where the clevis is...that is probably the most fragile part of the rope...
You're right, of course. Not sure how I'd do that, without sucking the hook into the fairlead and damaging the aluminum though. Need to get one of those nice ends from TRE.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I made a Kydex cover for my synthetic lined Warn. Just buy a 12" by 12" sheet of kydex, and trim to size. Heat with a heat gun and mold it wearing gloves. It's just for UV protection covering the spool and the synthetic line. Snaps on, snaps off. Had for a couple years now.
My steel wired winches I don't cover at all..

I thought about manufacturing these and selling them for maybe $30. But they are so simple to make my profit margin isn't worth the time.

View attachment 75932

View attachment 75933

I did much the same thing using thin sheet steel. Keeps the UV off the rope and doesn't trap moisture.

I live in an environment that an uncovered winch will corrode after 3-4 years. My jeep has a 10 year old winch that had a neoprene cover on since new and has zero corrosion. Every Jeep I’ve owned has had a covered winch and I take the cover off on a regular basis to let it dry out.