Winch rope life span

Plumber1

Tito's, Tacos and Trails
Supporting Member
How long should I expect my winch rope to last? I know a lot of people say that the sun is a killer for rope but mine spends 85% of its life parked in the garage, as it is not my DD. I also know that dragging it across rocks is bad so I try and avoid this. I do take the time to pull it out and wash it after ever couple of runs, as on most runs it does not get used, but it does go through dusty trails

So again does rope have a life span if it's well cared for?

How long should I expect my winch rope to last? I know a lot of people say that the sun is a killer for rope but mine spends 85% of its life parked in the garage, as it is not my DD. I also know that dragging it across rocks is bad so I try and avoid this. I do take the time to pull it out and wash it after ever couple of runs, as on most runs it does not get used, but it does go through dusty trails

So again does rope have a life span if it's well cared for?
They receive a UV protectant coating to protect against damage from the sun. If the rope isn't frayed and is in good physical condition it will last until it has developed significant damage from being dragged over trail obstacles. My synthetic ropes have certainly outlasted the wire ropes my current and previous winches came with.

Reactions: L J
My rope is about 6-7 years old. I use it more now in recent years then I did in the past. So far, I see no need to replace it.

Your steel degraded somehow? Synthetic is easy to break and replace, I guess that's a good thing.
My wire rope didn't degrade, it kinked and stands would eventually break after doing multiple pulls in single days when level rewinding between pulls wasn't easily done. That pulled the rope down through layers kinking it and eventually breaking individual wire strands.

I went through 2 wire ropes before making the switch to more durable synthetic 3/8" synthetic.

Reactions: MikeM and pagrey
Yea I switched after getting poked one to many F'ing times

Unknown.jpg

I've never had a synthetic line break, they are way stronger (a 3/8" is 2X stronger) than the wire ropes that come on winches. More durable and problem-free in situations that damaged my wire ropes too. I'll never go back.