Windshield wiper nozzle spray pattern adjustment

danof76

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Not sure if it's just me or if it's just TJs in general (or at least certain years) but does anyone else's windshield wiper nozzle spray a really pitiful pattern? I'd liken the spray pattern to a squirt gun.

Just for clarification they are pointed right and appear have the right amount of power to them, but they just don't have any coverage and just spray in one spot that measures a grand total of maybe two inches around. Doesn't do me a whole lot of good especially if I need to clear off something on the top of the window, it just smudges.

Any suggestions? Any modifications, third-party or cross-compatible parts that work better? While I'm at it, does anyone have any good recommendation on wipers? The ones I have like to chatter quite a bit on their way down. Thanks!

Could be dirty or have wax in it. Have you tried to clean the holes out?

I tried a little bit, I suppose I'll give it another try. I figured it may just be the way they are though because they looked alright and didn't appear gummed up plus they both spray the exact same pattern.

Early GM models have spray nozzles attached to the wipers themselves. Snag a few put them on your wiper arms. Its a much better coverage vs a spray from a foot and half away traveling at 65 mph. Take a look at @jjvw build thread.

Reactions: jjvw
Early GM models have spray nozzles attached to the wipers themselves. Snag a few put them on your wiper arms. Its a much better coverage vs a spray from a foot and half away traveling at 65 mph. Take a look at @jjvw build thread.

Funny because between your post and the last I (incidentally) came across that post as I was going through his build thread (which is quite awesome). I may look into that solution.

Reactions: jjvw
Funny because between your post and the last I (incidentally) came across that post as I was going through his build thread (which is quite awesome). I may look into that solution.

I did the same thing with mine, the junkyard I snagged the nozzles from and various hoses didnt even charge me for them. Its nice having to spray directly on the windshield and with a much wider pattern

Adding the extra nozzels is one of my most favorite additions to the Jeep. They make driving in inclement weather far more pleasant.

Reactions: danof76
If adjusting the pattern solves the issue of the spray not getting to the windshield at 75mph as the road mist is quickly clouding your view, then go for it. Just know that things can be better if you want or need them to be. This may be a regional thing. I don't recall having quite the same driving experiences in other parts of the country where the roads are messy.

Anco 91-13 wipers.

Disconnect the nozzles and run the pump a few seconds to blow any swarf out of the lines. Use LP air to back-blow through the nozzle holes. Hook everything up and "borrow" a good-size needle from the wifes sewing kit. Adjust the two balls on each nozzle assy by rotating them using the needle as leverage. On each side, adjust one ball to spray in the upper part of the sweep and the other on the lower part, kind of a staggered pattern.

After that, they will work most awesome.

Reactions: KCsTJ and danof76
Anco 91-13 wipers.

Disconnect the nozzles and run the pump a few seconds to blow any swarf out of the lines. Use LP air to back-blow through the nozzle holes. Hook everything up and "borrow" a good-size needle from the wifes sewing kit. Adjust the two balls on each nozzle assy by rotating them using the needle as leverage. On each side, adjust one ball to spray in the upper part of the sweep and the other on the lower part, kind of a staggered pattern.

After that, they will work most awesome.

Can you go into more detail about adjusting those steel balls in the nozzles? I just cleaned mine. And could not figure out what those were for. I still don't understand how those adjust the direction of each nozzle?

if you don't have a push pin you can use a needle or anything thin enough to insert into the steel balls and move them. Might take a few tries to get them in the direction you want them to spray.

if you don't have a push pin you can use a needle or anything thin enough to insert into the steel balls and move them. Might take a few tries to get them in the direction you want them to spray.

You mean the actual head (red) of the nozzle that the hole is in right? Or the steel balls that are in the elbow (blue) of the nozzle? (The blue circled area has a ball bearing in there. ANd I could not figure out what it was for.)

I didn't realize either were adjustable? I'm assuming it's the red circled nozzle that is adjustable. SO just stick a pin in there say a couple mm and turn them to the angle you need? Higher and the two more spread out would be a GREAT improvement.

nozzles.JPG