Woodrow's 97 Green TJ Moderate Build

I began work on the Atlas install this evening. This Atlas is much larger than the NP231 top to bottom, especially on the front output (driver) side.
View attachment 495595
Despite this, I’m hoping to exploit the new 1.25” body lift to increase the amount of tummy tuck from 2.5” below the frame to roughly 1.5”. The Atlas has multiple options for clocking. The position of the stock 231 is 13 degrees down on the drivers (front output) side so I started with that. The height of the pole jack supporting the AX15 is at the height the trans sits when using the stock trans mount on the UCF ultra high clearance skid.
View attachment 495596
This gave plenty of room on top.
View attachment 495597
But that Atlas at 13 degrees also hung down too far to use the UCF ultra high clearance skid. That skid is about 1.25-1.5” below frame belly height (outside) but less than 1” on the inside.
View attachment 495598

View attachment 495599
So next I tried 7 degrees.
View attachment 495600
I liked this better. It will require some tub clearancing but should also allow the higher T-case skid.
View attachment 495601

View attachment 495604

View attachment 495602
Either way the transmission mount plate will need modification and I think I’ve decided to make a custom crossmember rather than have the transmission rest on whatever skid I use.
View attachment 495603
I‘ve got some work to do…

You'll like having the crossmember and trans/transfer mount. Makes working on the drivetrain a LOT easier too.

I began work on the Atlas install this evening. This Atlas is much larger than the NP231 top to bottom, especially on the front output (driver) side.
View attachment 495595
Despite this, I’m hoping to exploit the new 1.25” body lift to increase the amount of tummy tuck from 2.5” below the frame to roughly 1.5”. The Atlas has multiple options for clocking. The position of the stock 231 is 13 degrees down on the drivers (front output) side so I started with that. The height of the pole jack supporting the AX15 is at the height the trans sits when using the stock trans mount on the UCF ultra high clearance skid.
View attachment 495596
View attachment 495597
But that Atlas at 13 degrees also hung down too far to use the UCF ultra high clearance skid. That skid is about 1.25-1.5” below frame belly height (outside) but less than 1” on the inside.
View attachment 495598

View attachment 495599
View attachment 495600
I liked this better. It will require some tub clearancing but should also allow the higher T-case skid.
View attachment 495601

View attachment 495604

View attachment 495602
Either way the transmission mount plate will need modification and I think I’ve decided to make a custom crossmember rather than have the transmission rest on whatever skid I use.
View attachment 495603

Do you think you could clock it flat? You are so close, and that would give you clearance for the skid.

I clocked mine flat, but as you said it takes some body work. On mine, I also had to modify the driver’s seat bracket to clear the case. It was quite a bit of surgery to make it work.

View attachment 495595
View attachment 495596
View attachment 495597
View attachment 495598

View attachment 495599
View attachment 495600
View attachment 495601

View attachment 495604

View attachment 495602
View attachment 495603

If i remember right blaine puts countersunk screws in that access plate to give a little more clearance?

Reactions: Woodrow
If i remember right blaine puts countersunk screws in that access plate to give a little more clearance?

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...e-the-3-rs-of-a-first-build.30419/post-785318

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-streetable-lj-engine-swap.36240/post-1037846

1706643246562.png

BTW, as I follow this great build, did you get the Coyote Beadlocks at the 4 for 3 price? I just saw Harry is dropping that sale. Hope you got the deal!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Do you think you could clock it flat? You are so close, and that would give you clearance for the skid.

I clocked mine flat, but as you said it takes some body work. On mine, I also had to modify the driver’s seat bracket to clear the case. It was quite a bit of surgery to make it work.

I might be able to but I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. I think I can fit the 1" drop T-case skid at 7 degrees with less body massage. But I'm not sure yet. I need to get the crossmember tacked in and probably will do the access plate bolt counter sink noted below.

Reactions: Wildman
I might be able to but I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. I think I can fit the 1" drop T-case skid at 7 degrees with less body massage. But I'm not sure yet. I need to get the crossmember tacked in and probably will do the access plate bolt counter sink noted below.

Both threads I linked show their crossmembers. BoomBooms is on the next page IIRC.

Reactions: Rickyd
I always miss the sales. Darn it!

I feel you!

I’m a little jealous of some of your build, especially the Atlas. It’s the one drawback Ive got with the Savvy MUA. I’ve got a Tera 4-Low now, so I’m not hurting. I just have to be careful with wheel speed so I don’t blow the planetaries. But I don’t count on it being a forever case, especially since it has no parts support. In the long run I think it will blow. My current solution is to go back to a 231, and, with the auto I can add a Rubicrawler. It won’t get me all the ratios I want, but it’s a strong setup. Kudos on yours. That Atlas rocks!

Reactions: Wildman and Woodrow
Both threads I linked show their crossmembers. BoomBooms is on the next page IIRC.
I was talking to a guy named Keith in sales at GenRight today ordering a universal crossmember kit and elevated body mounts. He said he recommended their

Atlas Transfer Case Support Ring Kit​

1706651732636.png

He said he cracked two 4 speed transmissions on his CJ before he put this on. I didn't jump on it but wondered what anyone else thought? Obviously more money and time but also probably driveline vibrations to chassis. Here is the CJ he uses it on:
keith's CJ.jpg

• USA Proud
Reactions: Rickyd and Wildman
I was talking to a guy named Keith in sales at GenRight today ordering a universal crossmember kit and elevated body mounts. He said he recommended their

View attachment 495863
He said he cracked two 4 speed transmissions on his CJ before he put this on. I didn't jump on it but wondered what anyone else thought? Obviously more money and time but also probably driveline vibrations to chassis. Here is the CJ he uses it on:
View attachment 495864

I'm not aware of anyone on here running that ring. Wasn't planning on it with mine.

Reactions: Rickyd and Woodrow
I feel you!

I’m a little jealous of some of your build, especially the Atlas. It’s the one drawback Ive got with the Savvy MUA. I’ve got a Tera 4-Low now, so I’m not hurting. I just have to be careful with wheel speed so I don’t blow the planetaries. But I don’t count on it being a forever case, especially since it has no parts support. In the long run I think it will blow. My current solution is to go back to a 231, and, with the auto I can add a Rubicrawler. It won’t get me all the ratios I want, but it’s a strong setup. Kudos on yours. That Atlas rocks!

What's Woodrow doing with his 231?

Reactions: Woodrow and JMT
What's Woodrow doing with his 231?

I gave a 231 away about a year ago. Shipped to a guy who came on the forum about a year ago. I still have my back case that's attached to the front case Tera 4 Low, and I've got the front of my original case up in the attic. If I blew the Tera 4-Low I'm not sure if it would take out the rear of the case too. If not I'd just need to pull down the front and put it all together, but either way, one day I'll likely need something 231 related.

Another route would be to dump $2k into a used 241. Also strong. Or do both the Rubicrawler and a 241 and get all the gear ratios I want. 😋

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickyd and Woodrow

View attachment 495863
View attachment 495864

I can not help you with the extra support being a good idea Blaine would be better to ask. But is that a Genright build that actually has some suspension up travel?

• Haha