Work from home LJ

That sounds very odd. Did you call Eaton [800-328-3850] to make sure? I know when I bought my ARBs, it was very confusing because the "3.73 & down" and "3.92 & up" weren't accurate for a Rubicon due to the thick cut ring gears. I had to contact them to make sure I bought the proper ones.

No I haven’t called. I’m probably a month out from actually installing so hasn’t been a priority. Have a few projects to button up before I get that far. I agree it’s odd and am hoping someone here knows specifics.

Which arb did you have to get @sab? I’m intending on putting 5.13 thick gears in my rear Dana 44 so likely need same setup you ended up with for your rubicon

I ended up with the RD-117 for both my Rubicon axles. However, they're not installed, yet, so I've not confirmed fitment 100%.

Reactions: kameronkales
In my research for the eventual demise of the factory lockers, I found quite a bit on the ARBs. The difference in a RD116/117 in a Dana 44 is thick vs standard cut gears. As long as the gears are correct for the carrier, either will work in a Dana 44 housing.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...le-carrier-breaks-explained.20622/post-335808
Screenshot_20230412-073245.png

Interesting. 3.73 and down is what Id need in rear w thick 5.13s. Thanks for info.

Yes, what I remember from the conversation was that you use 3.73 and down with the stock Rubicon thick-cut 4.11 gears. If you re-gear after that, you have to order thick-cut gears to keep that locker. However, if you re-gear and put the locker in simultaneously, you can use the RD-117 with thick-cut gears or the RD-116 with thin-cut gears. It's very confusing...

Reactions: rasband and PRNDL
After a bit more research, it appears the shaving was for a JK carrier, not a TJ carrier. Heres thread where I learned that.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/are-jk-and-tj-dana-44-carriers-the-same.37296/post-617348.

It appears the ring gear bolt holes need to be reamed out to 7/16th to use thick gears with a non rubicon carrier (stock is 3/8th).

Im going to go with Eaton E Lockers and get started on first regear job. Its starting to get warm in Charlotte and I am itching to daily drive the LJ again

Last edited:
After a bit more research, it appears the shaving was for a JK carrier, not a TJ carrier. Heres thread where I learned that.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/are-jk-and-tj-dana-44-carriers-the-same.37296/post-617348.

It appears the ring gear bolt holes need to be reamed out to 7/16th to use thick gears with a non rubicon carrier (stock is 3/8th).

Im going to go with Eaton E Lockers and get started on first regear job. Its starting to get warm in Charlotte and I am itching to daily drive the LJ again

You'll be glad you did the regear yourself. That's been one of the most satisfying projects I've taken on.

Before I tear LJ down again to do gears I figured Id write a "things Ive learned so far" for anyone else considering a "35s done right" build.

- Tools matter - Every time ive gone cheap Ive regretted it. Ive wasted a bunch of time and eventually ended up buying the tool. This is a hobby for me so I dont treat any of this as an "investment" but good tools buy your time back, which is a great deal.

- Check lift height on any floor jacks you end up buying. The ones I have lift to 24-1/4 in which is good enough for 35s w 1.25" body lift. More would be better, but you can get by with that.

- 6 ton jack stands (at least). 3 ton wont be tall enough once you go up in tire size. Learned this the hard way

- Plan everything out - Write it down, and only buy what you need for the next job. Even better, post here and let people tell you what you are doing wrong. A few times Ive acquired parts months in advance, and could have changed build plans to end up with better setup if I had only purchased what I needed for that job.

For example, I had opportunity to acquire rubicon axles this week. I decided against it for a few reasons, but a factor in that decision was parts acquired Id need to rebuy. If I only had bought what is currently installed on my jeep Id probably have pulled the trigger.

- Buying parts in advance has burned me a few times with incomplete kits. Some more experienced people might have caught right away, but I didnt. And companies dont usually help if you email them 6 months after your order.

- Cut off wheel / Sawzall will be used more than you want - I use Harbor Freight cheapo specials and havent had an issue. Get plenty of discs / blades and know pretty much anything you mess up can be fixed (dont cut your frame in half though)

- Parts go quick - Ive seen a few great deals locally, and before I had truck It took too long to figure out how to move them. Dont buy a vehicle solely for this, but the good stuff is gone way faster than you can coordinate a friend or rental.

- Brake caliper bleeder screws always go up

- Double adjustable control arms are worth their weight in gold - In the last week Ive driven jeep, made slight adjustment, driven jeep, slight adjustment, etc. Its 10x easier to adjust without taking arms off, and only slightly more expensive than single adjustable.

- Good parts can be rebuilt. Suspension parts can be expensive, but once you buy once, maintenance should be cheaper. Johnny joint rebuild kits are 30ish bucks. Can't beat that.

- Savvy will take at least 2x as long as you think with an order. Dont rely on them to get your jeep back drivable :)

- Shops will struggle like you do, but charge $200 an hour while doing it. There is no magic to setting up a suspension. Its lots of trial and error and some general principles you can learn from this website. A shop is going to do exactly what you do. Yes, a lift makes it slightly easier but there is no easy button. You can be the sweat and muscle and spend your money on parts. Or you can pay the shop owners mortgage.

- Organization pays dividends - spend the money on good storage for your tools. I use to spend more time looking for X item in bottom of tool bag then it took to take a part off.

- Shops have "partnerships" with certain companies, and push their parts. Don't trust their recommendations at all. There is a reason companies like currie/savvy/genright/etc are well respected. And random shop owners don't know better than companies winning awards doing this.

Listen to what the owners have to say, but understand they make money on convincing you Rough Country / SkyJacker/ Milestar is worth putting on your rig.

- Watch videos on YouTube (BFH garage) and try to do the job. If you go slow, and use this forum as a sounding board you can figure anything out.

Once you understand the principles in how things work, you can get creative and problem solve just like any shop would do.

- Centering axles work a lot better with 1 of 4 control arms disconnected. The body will slide right over and makes this a 5 minute job. Don’t be like me and spend an hour with all 4 connected

- Lockers can require different carrier bearings/race than an unlocked axle. For example, a LP Dana 30 typically requires 2x LM501349/LM501314. However, if you buy an Eaton E Locker, you now need 2x LM102949 / LM102911 and a shim pack (SK 30214). Learn from my mistakes and research this before you buy a differential regear kit and have extra bearings you dont need :)

Tools I use and cant live without

- code scanner
- angle finder
- laser level / plumbob would work too
- floor jack / jack stands (as many as you have)
- impacts - resisted buying these for awhile but they speed everything up
- ratcheting wrenches - same as above
- stubby ratchet - so much easier to fit in small spaces (Between track bar and spring for example)
- Motive power bleeder - definitely dont need, but makes it easier to bleed brakes by yourself
- Seal puller
- Pickle fork set
- Tie rod puller
- 1 1/8th socket
- 36mm socket
- Ball joint press
- Bearing / Seal Driver
- Snap ring pliers
- Alignment tool - bolts to lug nuts and makes setting toe easy with one person
- Dial indicator
- Micrometer
- Torque Wrenches - inch pounds, foot pounds
- Backup impact batteries
- Clam shell puller - Haven't used it yet, but got an insane deal so I grabbed it.
- Setup bearings - Make these yourself. Just hone out new bearings MATCHING your gear set install kit. Dont use KOYO setup bearings if your kit has TIMKEN. etc.
- Vice

Probably a bit more I am forgetting but this is a start. Ill add to as I think of new stuff I use a lot.

Last edited:
This mornings project was putting casters on my shop press.

One of the “why the hell didn’t I do this before” moments when it rolled across my garage one handed

I need to do the same thing for my HF 20 ton. What casters did you go with?

Reactions: kameronkales
I need to do the same thing for my HF 20 ton. What casters did you go with?

Random ones off of Amazon. Just looked for good ratings, all 4 with brakes and the single mount (vs 4 mounts per corner).

There were better ones at Home Depot locally but I wouldn’t have time to make trip til weekend so Amazon prime it was.

30 seconds with step drill bit and they were mounted

Reactions: BlueC
Is there any harm is mismatching koyo bearing and timken race for the inner pinion?

Planning on using matching timken for carrier bearings/races, but my lovely online order of all timken came with one random koyo.

Went to press bearing on new pinion and realized it was wrong.

Is there any harm is mismatching koyo bearing and timken race for the inner pinion?

The only way I would do that is if I first checked the Timken and Koyo drawings for those two bearings to see if the dimensions and tolerances matched exactly. Both are reputable companies and produce parts that match their drawings, but if they are slightly different, you could have a problem. And even if they did, I'd only do it if I was in a pinch time-wise. If you have time, get either the Koyo race or Timken bearing for a matched set.

DA3665A2-0D28-48FE-AF62-428527345E9D.jpeg

New bearing arrived. I pressed on. There’s a chance this could go a tad bit more but I didn’t want to hurt anything. Spins freely. The gap looks bit large?

Reactions: PNW_LJ
I pressed bearing a tad bit more but it’s seated.

Here’s some pictures from yesterdays progress. Set up bearings, measured shims and pinion in place.

I’m just now mobile enough post surgery to walk around local junkyard. So I went this morning and grabbed some spare driveshaft bolts to make shift tool to hold yoke in place.

There was a HP Dana 30 in the yard I could have pulled, but I don’t have any true need for it and figured I’d let someone else pull it for their build.

Grabbing another coffee and going to run first pattern!

C263FB47-54EE-49DC-B804-0691A6F6ACE2.jpeg

9EE73D47-8523-415C-9869-7299BC3B7E52.jpeg

21F10B9D-43D2-4A73-8A24-2EA7F87CDF8F.jpeg