Work from home LJ

I’m assuming previous owner of this axle put some in. I could pop regular uppers in with next to no resistance

1688146826400.png

You'll be back on the road in 30 minutes. ;)

Been few weeks but I just picked up new to me Dana 44 to rebuild. Paid about 1/3rd of what they typically resell for.

guess I’m doing gears this weekend

Wanna share where you found it? I looked for about a year and couldn't locate one for a decent price, which was the primary reason I went Super35.

Marketplace

So you're one of the luck ones. :sneaky: I watched marketplace and never found any 44s for a TJ. I found plenty out of Fords, but none from a TJ. I've been looking for a hardtop too for about two years now and still can't find one under $1,000.

Reactions: kameronkales
So you're one of the luck ones. :sneaky: I watched marketplace and never found any 44s for a TJ. I found plenty out of Fords, but none from a TJ. I've been looking for a hardtop too for about two years now and still can't find one under $1,000.

I’ll make you a great deal on the 44 under my LJ once I’ve done the swap. I got lucky finding this one.

I'll trade you a real nice black hardtop for a good southern frame...We can meet in Nashville or something!

• Haha
Chassis frame

They do pop up around here now and then, but they aint cheap. Usually asking $1,500, which is also close to what people have been asking for nice tops. :( Also, people on marketplace have no idea how to interact with others. :rolleyes:

They do pop up around here now and then, but they aint cheap. Usually asking $1,500, which is also close to what people have been asking for nice tops. :( Also, people on marketplace have no idea how to interact with others. :rolleyes:

Wow…that’s about what they go for here. Tops are much less than that though…everyone who buys a new wrangler here gets the hardtop, so they are all over.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueC
I picked up my new Dana 44 last weekend and left it in truck bed (under a bed cover) while I sold some other parts and cleared space in my garage.

This morning I tore down the 44, and wow the weight difference after pulling the carrier and axle shafts is huge.

I was easily able to move the 44 by myself once broken down, but might have struggled assembled.

I can only imagine how heavy a 60/80/14 bolt / Sterling is.

Last edited:
IMG_7107.jpeg

Forgot to upload pictures few weeks back but I was cleaning Jeep today (as you can tell - it needed it) and saw this.

I went with Spod approach and drilled a new 5/8th inch hole on passenger side of firewall. Threw rubber grommet and wire loom over Eaton wiring harness and ran to engine bay.

I haven’t wired the rear Eaton yet but might enlarge hole just a bit to fit that second harness through. Haven’t gotten that far yet.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Tried to get Jeep out today and drive on new gears (4wd with no rear drive shaft) but heard some grinding.

I did the gears myself and know they are solid so I’m leaning towards the shift linkage not fully engaging 4wd. I was in a rush installing the night before I had surgery smh.

I drove around in 2WD with no front driveshaft in and had no noise which is another point for something other than the gears.

I have also known my driveshaft ujoints were bad (original 2004). So I started pulling those and swapping in new ujoints.

Have a few stripped bolts on front driveshaft I’m going to have to troubleshoot tomorrow but hopefully that gets me set up.