Work from home LJ

Note: I didn't mean to poo-poo your reason for getting a bigger press. Justification by any means necessary... ;)

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and kam04LJ
Note: I didn't mean to poo-poo your reason for getting a bigger press. Justification by any means necessary... ;)

oh you didnt. This is the 3rd or 4th item its struggled with. I can get around it by heating up bearings but its annoying when I bought the press to not have that problem. Add it to the "eventually" list

Reactions: sab
Add it to the "eventually" list

Great plan! Just an FYI - I will always go to heat/freezing instead of pressing for things like this, whenever possible. It's easier, and it's less stressful on the parts (usually).

Great plan! Just an FYI - I will always go to heat/freezing instead of pressing for things like this, whenever possible. It's easier, and it's less stressful on the parts (usually).

I was initially against it bc I wasn’t sure the grease packed in the bearing would tolerate the heat.

Then I said screw it on the 2nd one

Reactions: JMT
I was initially against it bc I wasn’t sure the grease packed in the bearing would tolerate the heat.

Then I said screw it on the 2nd one

You can always re-grease. Just don't use heat if there's any rubber (seals) or plastic (some roller or ball cages are plastic) in the bearing. I used to build KTM RFS engines for a SuperMoto bike. They actually have a very simple, but ingenious, tool for pulling crank roller bearing races off the crank. It's a split-collar with handles that you heat up with a hot plate, slip over the bearing, wait for the heat transfer from the collar to the bearing, and then squeeze the handles and lift the bearing off the crank. Easy peasy!

1714080979790.png

Reactions: JMT and kam04LJ