York OBA Installation with ORO Bracket, A/C, and Durango Alternator

It is definitely one of my favorite upgrades, top three. However, if I had an ARB twin, it would be in my top five.

Why? I use my OBA regularly, probably more than my actual air compressor sitting on the work bench.

They are expensive to put together, moreso if you want it to work well, and they occupy a lot of space in the engine bay. And when the day comes that I have to replace the alternator that in now inside the ORO bracket, it will be a big day of disassembly and reassembly. I don't know what I would choose as an alternative, though.

Reactions: tworley and Byhumba
I like the ORO kit. It is pricey for what you get, but everything is well designed.

True that no engine = no air, but if the engine won’t run you have problems a compressor won’t fix.

Be prepared to swap idler pulleys a couple times to get the belt tension right. There are several similar pulley sizes available, details are in the instructions.

Don’t overfill the compressor oil, the kit includes more than you need and it ends up everywhere.

The tank and regulator add ons are not worth it for our Jeeps. All of the brackets (only reason to get the kit) are designed for the JK and do not match a TJ engine bay. If you need a tank and regulator, design your own install for those parts.

Reactions: Byhumba
When I bought the ORO kit, the whole kit was designed for the TJ with or without A/C. They probably don't make it anymore.

For the oil sight glass, I switched the one on the York for this one, and it is much, much better to avoid overfill.

Oil Sight Glass, 1/2 NPT Hex Head Domed Oil Sight Glass, Brass Bulls Eye Sight Glass Liquid Level Gauge Oil Indicator Window for Air Compressor Gearbox Tank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DPPJGCJ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Marklar1983
No idea. I haven't had to figure that out. But I do know that there are plenty of good options that cost less than a York and are sufficiently quick.

I'd be interested in knowing what the good options are.

I've contemplated a few options and none are really ideal but I'm ready to move past my slow and cheap compressor.

This is what that Sight Glass looks like once installed.

20230507_145925.jpg

20230507_150715.jpg

I have been on the fence now for a about a year for a high volume OBA setup. I have had my LJ for a year and am using a smittybilt for air. I had a converted Sanden (grease conversion) on my my YJ. First one lasted about 4 years the second on has lasted 7 years. So I am a fan of the sanden compressors. Sadly no one makes an after market Sanden compressor mount for the 2005 LJ. Honestly i think the York is just slightly better than the sanden but it seems to required more maintenance (and setup i.e. drier) than the sanden. I am familiar with the ORO kit, I installed one for a friends a few years ago; Everything fit great but it is a tight fit.

I just curious why JJvw wouldn't do it again. Your write up on the install was great by the way.

ARB is a good option being that it is simpler to set up and cost less than the ORO kit.. But I do not believe it is quiet as robust and definitely not as durable as either the Sanden or the York.

I look forward to hearing others experience and knowledge.

I remembered another reason I wouldn't rush to install a York. Moving the alternator down puts the power lead off of the alternator right in the way of a front outboard shock tower. I needed to cut a big window into the tower to prevent welding the alternator to the frame.
20210307_211715.jpg

Building for good shocks on both ends is not something I ever considered when I did the York in 2016. And I don't recall ever having seen anyone run into a similar interference. But my problem might be made worse because I did a front wheelbase stretch where I also moved the shocks and springs forward on the frame a couple inches.

Last edited:
What is the adapter and how full do you fill it? What oil do you use?

I shared a link in the previous page, but here it is again.

Oil Sight Glass, 1/2 NPT Hex Head Domed Oil Sight Glass, Brass Bulls Eye Sight Glass Liquid Level Gauge Oil Indicator Window for Air Compressor Gearbox Tank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DPPJGCJ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I just make sure there is oil visible at all times. I stop adding oil once I see it halfway.

Just (50/50) of any 10W-40 motor oil and STP oil treatment for some zinc and recommendation from the ORO guys.

Last edited:
I shared a link in the previous page, but here it is again.

I just make sure there is oil visible at all times. I stop adding oil once I see it halfway.

Just any 10W 40 motor oil. I add some STP oil treatment for some zinc and recommendation from the ORO guys.

I used the Amazon link and ordered the sight glass, but it looks like there’s an adapter fitting as well, correct?
IMG_7234.jpeg

I used the Amazon link and ordered the sight glass, but it looks like there’s an adapter fitting as well, correct?
View attachment 476542

Ah. Yeah, sorry. You may be able to find it at a hardware store. My local Home Depot didn't have it. You can get it here. Some Yorks may have a different fitting, so make sure this is what you need.

TAISHER 5PCS Brass Pipe Fitting, Reducer Adapter, 3/8-Inch Male Pipe x 1/2-Inch Female Pipe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N657TR3/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Ah. Yeah, sorry. You may be able to find it at a hardware store. My local Home Depot didn't have it. You can get it here. Some Yorks may have a different fitting, so make sure this is what you need.

TAISHER 5PCS Brass Pipe Fitting, Reducer Adapter, 3/8-Inch Male Pipe x 1/2-Inch Female Pipe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N657TR3/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Thanks! The sight glass it comes with has been practically useless.

Thanks! The sight glass it comes with has been practically useless.

I agree. Hard to see. There is a dip stick you can use, but it is not as accurate. This sight glass is the way to go. If you stop adding oil halfway, you will see it still fills up. You can see a small bubble on the top section in my picture. That's after stopping halfway.

Did the sight glass come with the kit? I’ve got a York system the PO put in, but checking the oil is a bit of work. I’d like to see if I can get the sight glass separately maybe if the port is in the right place.

The York came with the flat sight glass that is almost useless because of its low, rear-facing position. I had to buy the domed sight glass and adapter separately. Here are the links for future readers.

Oil Sight Glass, 1/2 NPT Hex Head Domed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DPPJGCJ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

3/8-Inch Male Pipe x 1/2-Inch Female Pipe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N657TR3/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited: