Yukon YA WU-07 front hub kit (5x4.5") under $1,100

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do installs but I try not to buy anything unless it comes from my Yukon authorized seller simply due to all of these issues.
I learned this one the hard way. I had problems with a kit, contacted Yukon, and they told me, literally, "next time buy directly from us". :cautious:

I learned this one the hard way. I had problems with a kit, contacted Yukon, and they told me, literally, "next time buy directly from us". :cautious:

Sounds like they hired the same "Customer Service" department that Skyjacker employees. That was basically the same message I got when I had issues with my black max shocks.

I've mentioned more than once that I wheel almost exclusively with 1st Generation Broncos. In more 10+ years of doing so, I've never seen a major failure on a dana 44 front. That's with heavy wheels, V8 power, stock 19 spline outer shafts, and, in several cases, 37" tires. I've seen a couple hubs blow and a few busted u-joints, but that's it. I'm not saying they are perfect, but they hold up surprisingly well.

Yeah...I actually found a Dana 44/9" bronco combo the other day on FB. It was pretty inexpensive (600 bucks, IIRC). I probably should have jumped on it, but its a lot of money to have tied up "just in case."

I REALLY dislike the marketing gimmick jeep employed with the "Dana 44" front axle in the rubicon. Its really a Dana 30/44 Hybrid in that its a Dana 30 with A bigger center section....but most people don't know that so If I do change it to something better (like a High Pinion Dana 30) most people wouldn't understand...and it would probably tank the resale. A Dana 44 from a bronco though...those that know would get excited about that and those that didn't wouldn't know any better anyway.

Yeah...I actually found a Dana 44/9" bronco combo the other day on FB. It was pretty inexpensive (600 bucks, IIRC). I probably should have jumped on it, but its a lot of money to have tied up "just in case."

I REALLY dislike the marketing gimmick jeep employed with the "Dana 44" front axle in the rubicon. Its really a Dana 30/44 Hybrid in that its a Dana 30 with A bigger center section....but most people don't know that so If I do change it to something better (like a High Pinion Dana 30) most people wouldn't understand...and it would probably tank the resale. A Dana 44 from a bronco though...those that know would get excited about that and those that didn't wouldn't know any better anyway.

I have a Rubicon 44 front sitting in the garage now that I decided not to put in the TJ. I wasn't going to take the weight penalty for a 44 with Dana 30 outers. Given the reliability of the Dana 30, it's what sent me down the path of a HP30, with 30 spline inners. If I can ever get a locker delivered, I'll dig into assembling it! ;)

Reactions: TRE3TOP
I have a Rubicon 44 front sitting in the garage now that I decided not to put in the TJ. I wasn't going to take the weight penalty for a 44 with Dana 30 outers. Given the reliability of the Dana 30, it's what sent me down the path of a HP30, with 30 spline inners. If I can ever get a locker delivered, I'll dig into assembling it! ;)

The HP30 makes great sense for your 31" tire set-up.

I won't run anything less than 5.38s (turning 35s), so I'm married to the Dana 44 (and would keep my 5.38s for 33s as well).

I went with the WU-08 kit mainly because I didn't want the 1.5"+ wider track width that comes with the 07 kit. I didn't realize about the 07's wider track-width until after I purchased the 07 kit (Blaine popped my brain when he educated me on that...amongst other things).

The center bore for 5x5.5" Mickey Thompson Classic IIIs will clear the 08 kit as will Pro Comp's classic III equivalent aluminum wheels. FWIW, I haven't seen a single 5x5.5" 15" steel wheel option work for the 08 kit (center bore is always too small).

I had issues receiving my back-ordered MT wheels and didn't like the chalky-gray look of the Pro Comp's, so I went with Method Racing "304 double standards." I don't love the wheels by any means but they do the job.

wheel .jpg

While my shimmy at highway speeds with 5.38s isn't nearly as bad as Chris's shimmy with 4.88s (luck of the draw), I'm still super happy that I went with this kit because highway driving feels like I'm riding on rails (it's very pleasing compared to the alternative).

Last edited:
Reactions: Irun
The HP30 makes great sense for your 31" tire set-up.

I won't run anything less than 5.38s (turning 35s), so I'm married to the Dana 44 (and would keep my 5.38s for 33s as well).

I've had both 5.13 and 5.38 on 35" tires. The difference isn't really noticeable. However, your point about squeezing everything you can out for a 42rle is noted!

Reactions: MikeE024
squeezing everything you can out for a 42rle is noted!

Yea man that’s all I was getting at.

The 42RLE dropping an additional ~200RPMs when going into lockup after already dropping RPMs when going into OD drives my reasoning for wanting 5.38s at minimum for a 42RLE and 35s.

That said, our tastes/priorities might differ.:D

I went with the WU-08 kit mainly because I didn't want the 1.5"+ wider track width that comes with the 07 kit. I didn't realize about the 07's wider track-width until after I purchased the 07 kit (Blaine popped my brain when he educated me on that...amongst other things).

The center bore for 5x5.5" Mickey Thompson Classic IIIs will clear the 08 kit as will Pro Comp's classic III equivalent aluminum wheels. FWIW, I haven't seen a single 5x5.5" 15" steel wheel option work for the 08 kit (center bore is always too small).

I had issues receiving my back-ordered MT wheels and didn't like the chalky-gray look of the Pro Comp's, so I went with Method Racing "304 double standards." I don't love the wheels by any means but they do the job.

View attachment 346125

While my shimmy at highway speeds with 5.38s isn't nearly as bad as Chris's shimmy with 4.88s (luck of the draw), I'm still super happy that I went with this kit because highway driving feels like I'm riding on rails (it's very pleasing compared to the alternative).

I have 15" steel wheels from Bassett racing (see my build thread for details) with the 5x5.5 WU-08 kit. 4.25" center bore, 4.75" backspacing (also comes in 4.5" bs), ~21lb per corner.

Reactions: MikeE024

View attachment 346125

Awe crap, it adds to the front track width??? I’m already pushing it with 3.75 backspace wheels…

How much track width is added with the 5x5.5 setup? Is it zero? Or just less than 1.5” (.75” per side)?

Awe crap, it adds to the front track width??? I’m already pushing it with 3.75 backspace wheels…

How much track width is added with the 5x5.5 setup? Is it zero? Or just less than 1.5” (.75” per side)?

As far as I know the 5x5.5 kit adds no width and the 5x4.5 adds 7/8" per side.

yes, this.

The 7/8" per side depends on when it was made and by whom. I have 2 Yukon hubs here that are not the same thickness.

View attachment 346223

View attachment 346224

so should we be saying it's 3/4 - 7/8" or 7/8 - 1"? And within Yukon, is this an early/late differentiator or is it random like they're just picking today's hub supplier out of a hat?

Status
Not open for further replies.