ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

I did the conversion along with the drag link and a new track bar. While I was there, I also put new carrier bearings in the diff and a new wheel bearing/hub to replace a newer one that sounded bad. Radical improvement to steering and handling. It is like driving a different Jeep. Night and day improvement and the tie rods I replaced were not sloppy. A worthy upgrade. Oh, I also replaced the power steering pump and hoses, just as a maintenance item.
So which one of all those things fixed your steering? I'd guess the bad hub.

Reactions: Flivver250
My steering wasn't actually bad, I replaced it as an upgrade. The hub made some noise when turning, may have been a factory defect. The noisy hub was only 8 months old. I did not expect to gain the noticeable improvement I got. Moved it from good to great.

The ZJ tie rod upgrade is a simple, cheap, and effective upgrade for your Jeep Wrangler TJ. Found on the V8 model Grand Cherokee ZJ, this tie rod is substantially larger than the stock TJ tie rod. The threaded section of the factory tie rod end measures .65" in diameter. The ZJ end measures 1".

Below you'll find some photos comparing the ZJ tie rod (and tie rod end) to the stock TJ tie rod (and tie rod end). You can see that the ZJ tie rod and tie rod ends are much, much larger than the TJ tie rod setup. This ultimately means you'll have a much stronger steering setup (which isn't a bad thing if you like to get your tie rod hung up on rocks, logs, and the likes).

View attachment 20181

View attachment 20182

Parts Required
The ZJ tie rod conversion parts can be purchased for a very reasonable price on Amazon. You'll need the following parts:
The following parts are optional if you'd like to replace your drag link at the same time, with quality replacement parts. This is a great option if you want to refresh everything, including the drag link (not a bad idea if your Jeep has higher miles). Though the drag link will still remain the stock diameter, (the ZJ and TJ drag links are the same diameter) it will provide you with a completely refreshed steering setup, which is great for preventative maintenance.
Another option is to purchase the the Crown HD steering kit which includes the beefier ZJ tie rod, as well as a new drag link. This includes everything you need, all in one "kit".

Torque Specs
Drag Link to Pitman Arm Nut - 81 Nm / 60 ft.lbs.
Drag Link to Knuckle Nut - 47 Nm / 35 ft.lbs.
Drag Link Clamp Bolts - 49 Nm / 36 ft.lbs.
Tie Rod Clamp Bolts - 49 Nm / 35 ft.lbs
Tie Rod Knuckle - 47 Nm / 35 ft.lbs
Tie Rod to Drag Link - 75 Nm / 55 ft.lbs.

Conclusion
Last but not least, this is a good article worth reading if you're interested in the various possible steering upgrades for your TJ: What is the best steering for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

This is an incredibly easy modification to do, and can be done while your Jeep is on the ground with the wheels still on, not even jacked up at all. It's really that easy!

Thank you for this.
I just purchased the Crown HD steering kit, and can't wait for it to arrive and install it.

Reactions: Chris
Update:
I got the Crown HD kit, and HERE ARE THE PHOTOS of this AMAZING UPGRADE: *damn excited*

What I got in the Package:

IMG_6597.jpg

IMG_6598.jpg

My old setup:

IMG_6599.jpg

IMG_6600.jpg

IMG_6601.jpg

Difference between the new HD and old rod:

IMG_6602.jpg

After Installing the HD:

IMG_6604.jpg

IMG_6605.jpg

Great post. New to the group and decided to tackle this as my Next project. I need too upgrade my steering as my Jeep shakes quite a bit between 45-50 MPH and causes excessive tire wear. Decided to replace it all since I have a 145k miles and everything is still stock. After reading the whole feed here is my full parts list I am ordering.

MOOG ES3095R Tie Rod End
MOOG ES3096L x2 Tie Rod End
MOOG DS1312 Tie Rod End
MOOG DS1430 Tie Rod End (Drag Link)
MOOG ES2079S Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve
Monroe SC2928 Magnum Steering Damper

I have a lifetime alignment & tire rotation & balance at my local shop which I have used every time I get my oil changed for the past 10 yrs. Makes the cost of a $30 oil change worth it so I don’t feel bad not doing it myself.

After reading the whole feed here is my full parts list I am ordering.

MOOG ES3095R Tie Rod End
MOOG ES3096L x2 Tie Rod End
MOOG DS1312 Tie Rod End
MOOG DS1430 Tie Rod End (Drag Link)
MOOG ES2079S Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve
Monroe SC2928 Magnum Steering Damper

I'm about to order for this upgrade as well - did you read that you needed the ES3095R? I have the exact same list minus that part.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
Please let us know how it works out and how you like it! Did you order Crown SK2 (complete kit) and did you have to paint anything?

Steering honestly is better now, WAY better and I do not have to fix the alignment of my steering anymore..
Plus, I changed the Power steering pump (I got Crown) It made HUGE difference.

Paint? Nope, as they are already in black. I didn't need to paint anything.

The kit, I ordered the complete one that was suggested by @Chris
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VPUOSO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I couldn't find it in Amazon in stock, so I ordered it from ebay.

Hope my answers helped.

Steering honestly is better now, WAY better and I do not have to fix the alignment of my steering anymore..
Plus, I changed the Power steering pump (I got Crown) It made HUGE difference.

Paint? Nope, as they are already in black. I didn't need to paint anything.

The kit, I ordered the complete one that was suggested by @Chris
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VPUOSO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I couldn't find it in Amazon in stock, so I ordered it from ebay.

Hope my answers helped.

Super helpful thanks - I'm trying to determine whether the Crown kit (SK2) I'm seeing on Summit is the same kit as what you ordered (HDSTRNGCR1) - The SK2 has the steering stabilizer but I'm most concerned about whether the SK2 kit uses the ZJ tie rod upgrade like the one you ordered.

Super helpful thanks - I'm trying to determine whether the Crown kit (SK2) I'm seeing on Summit is the same kit as what you ordered (HDSTRNGCR1) - The SK2 has the steering stabilizer but I'm most concerned about whether the SK2 kit uses the ZJ tie rod upgrade like the one you ordered.

Most welcome, the kit I ordered is exactly what you see in the photos of the kit.

(steering stabilizer) if you mean the two small arms, then no they are not included in the kit.

Otherwise, @Chris can assist you in this as I am a total newbie hehe

I got everything in but after reviewing pics etc. looks like I need to have 2 adjusting sleeves. MOOG ES2079S Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve. Could someone confirm for me if these are the exact same part or if they are different?