ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

What differences did you notice on the test drive?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Best way to describe it was before it felt almost like driving a boat or remoinded me of my 61 GMC truck I use to have. Wandered some. Bump steer wasn’t too bad. Drove it on interstate but didn’t feel comfortable over 60.

All my joints could easily be moved by hand.

I replaced everything starting at the pitman arm.

Reactions: Mikester86
I actually read some pretty bad reviews. Some guys said it would be better to just get the Moog parts

So I'm another happy TJ owner who found this thread and upgraded to the ZJ conversion. I ordered all Moog parts from amazon. Added the TJ draglink to the order just to refresh everything since my jeep has high mileage. The install went really well but due to lots of rain in SoCal and a set date for my lift install I ended up installing the steering before painting it. Just finished painting it today, not too bad!!! I'm so stocked I found this thread.

So I'm another happy TJ owner who found this thread and upgraded to the ZJ conversion. I ordered all Moog parts from amazon. Added the TJ draglink to the order just to refresh everything since my jeep has high mileage. The install went really well but due to lots of rain in SoCal and a set date for my lift install I ended up installing the steering before painting it. Just finished painting it today, not too bad!!! I'm so stocked I found this thread.

View attachment 78395

View attachment 78398View attachment 78399
Looks great! Your whole front end is looking strong

Reactions: Steven Preyer
Update

I got 2 coats of primer on the steering components and I'm sort of liking the color. Kind of matches the silver color of my jeep. So my question is.....should I keep it primer color and just seal it or should I go black and not draw attention to the components?

Update

I got 2 coats of primer on the steering components and I'm sort of liking the color. Kind of matches the silver color of my jeep. So my question is.....should I keep it primer color and just seal it or should I go black and not draw attention to the components?

View attachment 78476

View attachment 78477
If you like the color, then keep it! But I would buy that paint color and paint it. I don’t think primer is meant to protect. More to adhere the paint coat.

I almost did the same and paint matched after the primer coat but figured since replacing the Trac bar is on my list (will probably paint match it if the one I go with is black) I went with black just to keep things a little more toned down.

To each his is own but yes I would get a coat or two of paint on it.

All the new components I added to the front end of my jeep (springs, sway bar links, track bar, steering stabilizer) are black so the more I think about it since I need to get some paint on it I think i will just go black. Thanks for the input jazngab and AceShooter.

Just received my crown heavy duty Parts from Amazon. I'm going to install on Saturday morning. Any last-minute advice? How many beers does it usually take to install?

Just received my crown heavy duty Parts from Amazon. I'm going to install on Saturday morning. Any last-minute advice? How many beers does it usually take to install?

When you remove your current setup, lay it on the ground and measure it so you have a good starting point for adjusting the ZJ tie rod and ends before bolting them up.

In the morning it’s a 3 beer job.

Did you end up installing the Crown? How was it?

I need to do upgrade the drag link and tie rod and currently Crown is cheaper than the Moog parts. But I don't want to waste the money on Crown if it is terrible quality. Picture of my current stock setup. Any thoughts?

IMG_0465.jpg

I know this was not asked of me, however I just completed my upgrade with Moog parts Sunday from their problem solver line. They were well made and corrected all of the steering vibration that I still felt. The cost runs ~ 190.00 (little less) on Amazon. Of course if your a Prime member, no tax or shipping.

DS1430 - 85.79
DS1312 - 41.79
ES2079S - 12.28
ES3096L - 48.56 ( for qty. 2)

You are correct the Crown unit is ~ 20 bucks cheaper but I am not sure @Jim King or I really have enough pavement time to know much about longevity, but I would expect them to install the same. I think the only unknown here would be the joints as I am certain you know. Also I had to paint everything except the sleeve. Not a problem just another step.

Give heed to @JMT 's advice and lay out the new one against the old assembly as I found it to be solid advice when I reassembled mine.

Reactions: mikespine and JMT
I know this was not asked of me, however I just completed my upgrade with Moog parts Sunday from their problem solver line. They were well made and corrected all of the steering vibration that I still felt. The cost runs ~ 190.00 (little less) on Amazon. Of course if your a Prime member, no tax or shipping.

DS1430 - 85.79
DS1312 - 41.79
ES2079S - 12.28
ES3096L - 48.56 ( for qty. 2)

You are correct the Crown unit is ~ 20 bucks cheaper but I am not sure @Jim King or I really have enough pavement time to know much about longevity, but I would expect them to install the same. I think the only unknown here would be the joints as I am certain you know. Also I had to paint everything except the sleeve. Not a problem just another step.

Give heed to @JMT 's advice and lay out the new one against the old assembly as I found it to be solid advice when I reassembled mine.

Do I need two ES2079S? One of the drag link, and one for tie rod?

Hello all,

I am putting together the parts to do this. I found someone on CL selling the DS1312 and 1430 locally. Is there anything in the box besides the rods-no baggies of parts or anything?

Thanks!

Yes... 99.99% sure... Both of those parts should have small parts bags which include the cotter pin, the nut & zerk fitting...

& I believe the grease boots should be installed already... if not they should be in the parts bag also

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
Rockauto.com has pictures of what is in the box. You should have to put the boot on. DS1312 doesn't mean Moog and a seller with a new part in a Moog box doesn't mean a Moog part either. Don't pay good money for a $17 Ultra-Power part.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
Thanks for the info. I did ask if he had the baggies, and he does. I also asked if he had the reciept from where he got the parts. Said it was from Amazon and sent a screen shot of the order. Here is the link to the CL ad. Is there anything I should look for that would give away it is not a Moog part? is the Ultra power hollow like the stock part?

Thanks again for all of your help.