ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

Is that nut on the driver side swaybar link axle bracket loose? It looks to be off kilter, but it might just be the angle of the photo...
OK, No that bolt is supposed to be loose so I can wiggle the sway bar disconnect in and out. The sway bar disconnect is adjustable in length for different sized lift kits. I am limited to a 2" lift so my disconnect bar is a little long and that forces some downward tension on that bolt making it look cocked. I did shorten the bar fully which it was not and got a few more threads showing on that bolt. Thanks for that observation. The TJ is a little better tuned because of you.

s2sUC1hkS5uYTVWIiUzUag.jpg

OK, No that bolt is supposed to be loose so I can wiggle the sway bar disconnect in and out. The sway bar disconnect is adjustable in length for different sized lift kits. I am limited to a 2" lift so my disconnect bar is a little long and that forces some downward tension on that bolt making it look cocked. I did shorten the bar fully which it was not and got a few more threads showing on that bolt. Thanks for that observation. The TJ is a little better tuned because of you.

View attachment 72495
What brand of swaybar disconnect is that? It does not look familiar...

Reactions: RonnieS
Hi all,

Im looking to make this same upgrade, but living in New Zealand means a) RHD Jeep, and b) we never got the V8 Zj, so no spares junkyard finds, meaning its still easier and cheaper to buy parts from the states! However this means no returns if I make a mistake!

So, can anyone see any major issues to installing a LHD tie rod onto a RHD jeep??
I get the drag links will be different (to clear the diff cover) but surely the drag link, tie rod and sleeve work? To look something like this (not my Jeep)

Thanks in advance!

01SteeringRHD.jpg

Hi all,

Im looking to make this same upgrade, but living in New Zealand means a) RHD Jeep, and b) we never got the V8 Zj, so no spares junkyard finds, meaning its still easier and cheaper to buy parts from the states! However this means no returns if I make a mistake!

So, can anyone see any major issues to installing a LHD tie rod onto a RHD jeep??
I get the drag links will be different (to clear the diff cover) but surely the drag link, tie rod and sleeve work? To look something like this (not my Jeep)

Thanks in advance!

Actually with more research of this post, looks like the ZJ tie rods are bent to clear the diff cover, meaning the LHD will not work... And the tapers would probably end up backwards..

So, any affordable suggestions?
I'm only looking for a mild strength improvement, Not really any big rocks etc down here

Last edited:
So I knocked out installing the new ZJ tie rod and a new steering stabilizer. It was pretty straight forward. Everything came apart easily with the handy impact wrench and good ole BFH. Thanks @derekmac and @JMT for the help. I was able to locate all 7 zerks and cleaned them all up from all the caked up grease. Is there a certain grease gun fitting for the zerks I need to buy when I buy the grease gun?

So I knocked out installing the new ZJ tie rod and a new steering stabilizer. It was pretty straight forward. Everything came apart easily with the handy impact wrench and good ole BFH. Thanks @derekmac and @JMT for the help. I was able to locate all 7 zerks and cleaned them all up from all the caked up grease. Is there a certain grease gun fitting for the zerks I need to buy when I buy the grease gun?
Typical grease gun fits on the zerks

Reactions: jazngab
Good work! Now make sure and do a front end alignment, 1/16” toe in, and also center your steering wheel

Good work! Now make sure and do a front end alignment, 1/16” toe in, and also center your steering wheel
I need to read up on the “how to do alignment” thread. But I did measure the new tie rod and made it exact length of old one so hopefully it didn’t throw it off much if not at all.

I need to read up on the “how to do alignment” thread. But I did measure the new tie rod and made it exact length of old one so hopefully it didn’t throw it off much if not at all.
Center you’re steering whee first at the drag link, then align with the adjustable coupling on the drivers side of the tie rod

X2. @Mud dauber, can't the swaybar just go up a bit more to get the end of the links on the pins with the nut tight?
I don't think that endlink bolt should be loose as it will wallow out the mount hole.
Thanks for pointing this out. I called the manufacturing. They stated that the bolt holding the sway bar disconnect was loose (see photo above) It should look like this (see below) The bottom photo has the the lynch pin oriented in the correct position. Thanks for your help!

UuOr3qhLR0WhsQYKoggxew.jpg

8ilET1xnTYy591j4s1GoMg.jpg

Center you’re steering whee first at the drag link, then align with the adjustable coupling on the drivers side of the tie rod
I actually did the aluminum square tubing method. Didn’t center steering yet as it’s up on jack stands still and I just pulled the axles in prep to install a lunchbox. So I’ll do that when it’s put back together. Quick question, I’ve read that certain greases don’t work together. I greased the zerks with the Lucas red n tacky but the old grease is a dark green color that bleed out. Should that be ok still?

Reactions: JMT
I actually did the aluminum square tubing method. Didn’t center steering yet as it’s up on jack stands still and I just pulled the axles in prep to install a lunchbox. So I’ll do that when it’s put back together. Quick question, I’ve read that certain greases don’t work together. I greased the zerks with the Lucas red n tacky but the old grease is a dark green color that bleed out. Should that be ok still?
IDK, but I wouldn’t worry about it, you’ll be back under there in six months checking them again.

I pulled this image off another forum. It states I want to get the additional Tie Rod Ends and Adjusting sleeves. Do I need to purchase the extra parts or stick to the following plus the damper?
View attachment 74206

Just those 3 parts for ZJ tie rod conversion.

EDIT: you can replace the other parts if you want a brand new steering setup but they aren’t “upgrades” from stock set up.

Reactions: dieselvrr