ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

All the parts arrived for this upgrade! Hoping this weekend I can get this accomplished!
Dilemma, tomorrow will be warm enough to install, but too cold to paint it. Do I install, then paint it in place once warm enough? Or just hold off all together and wait for warmer weather? Jeep is in garage stored for winter.

Dilemma, tomorrow will be warm enough to install, but too cold to paint it. Do I install, then paint it in place once warm enough? Or just hold off all together and wait for warmer weather? Jeep is in garage stored for winter.
I’d paint it before installing. So much easier.

I’d paint it before installing. So much easier.
I was able to paint it in the garage, then moved it to the basement to dry. Should be good to go for tomorrow, and once installed, I can touch it up if necessary.!

Sun is out and temp around 50, I was able to get the new tie rod installed. Funny how the most difficult part of this job was removing the damn cotter pins!

My torque wrench snapped when tightening down the tie rod to drag link, my fault for using a 1/4 drive. So I tightened it down the best I could by feel and look.
Update 2-6-19: Ordered new 1/2” Drive torque wrench and will torque all correctly! :)

Things to note, the tie rod end is reverse threaded into the sleeve. I had a little difficulty, as I was able to get it started into the sleeve, then had to hold the sleeve with vice grips and thread it in. It wasnt turning easily by hand, like the sleeve did onto the tie rod itself.

Next up is replacing the thermostat and housing gasket, as it appears to be leaking just sitting there!

Last edited:
So ordered all the stuff to do the upgrade.
Stupid question but should I paint the tie rod ends? The bare metal portion not the threads or the actual bushing components.

Also, it seems that most everyone is using POR-15. Is it that superior and do you really need the metal prep or just good cleaning/degrease sufficent?

So ordered all the stuff to do the upgrade.
Stupid question but should I paint the tie rod ends? The bare metal portion not the threads or the actual bushing components.

Also, it seems that most everyone is using POR-15. Is it that superior and do you really need the metal prep or just good cleaning/degrease sufficent?

For the tie rod/tie rod end you can use rattle can spray. I sprayed the tie rod ends and just wiped off what I could off the bare metal area. I did a few light coats. Nothing crazy. POR15 works for rusted metals. Not so much clean rust free metal.

Reactions: AceShooter
For the tie rod/tie rod end you can use rattle can spray. I sprayed the tie rod ends and just wiped off what I could off the bare metal area. I did a few light coats. Nothing crazy. POR15 works for rusted metals. Not so much clean rust free metal.
Thanks!

So pretty much just rattle can everything since it’s all new and rust free.

Reactions: Mikester86
Thanks!

So pretty much just rattle can everything since it’s all new and rust free.
Hit it with a coat of self etching primer first. Then two coats of the acrylic enamel/bed liner/whatever you have on your shelf

Reactions: AceShooter
Just fyi for anyone wanting to do this right now, if you order ALL the parts (including two adjuster sleeves and two ES3096L) from O'Reilly in their Mastercraft brand (still lifetime warranty) they have a 20% off discount and free shipping. Just ordered everything for $172 after discounts and sales tax.