1. Want to have your TJ featured as the November 2018 "Ride of the Month"? The winner will receive a $200 gift card from Metalcloak! Click here to submit a photo of your TJ. Submissions are accepted until October 20th!
    Dismiss Notice

ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

Discussion in 'TJ How-to Guides' started by Chris, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Jon Wildes

Jon Wildes TJ Padawan
    Supporting Member

I’ve got everything installed but 3 of the 4 grease fittings won’t accept grease. Can I get new fittings and swap them out?

2. Jon Wildes

Jon Wildes TJ Padawan
    Supporting Member

I’m gonna try and remove the ones from the old tie rod. They worked fine.

3. Jon Wildes

Jon Wildes TJ Padawan
    Supporting Member

so I have swapped out the grease points on the ZJ tie rod ends with the old grease points I also relaxed all pressure by breaking torque on the bolts. I put grease into the fitting and removed the fitting. There is grease inside the cavity so it’s going through the fitting but it isn’t reaching the boot. Grease inside the boot is non existent. I think they failed to drill it out all the way or drilled to small a hole and it can’t makes its way into the boot. Can I drill a bobber hole or am I destined to take all this crap off and ship it back?? Should have bought the Currie setup. Money was just too hard to come by at the time.

4. JMT

JMT The Jeep Guy
    Supporting Member Ride of the Month Winner

Well, this is an anomaly. The only possible problems are they didn't drill the hole out. If there was even a small hole some grease would be getting into the boot under pressure. I would remove one grease fitting, clean all the grease off and do a very close inspection to see if there is a hole or not. If there is then something is wrong with the grease gun. Pressure is not being exerted for some reason. See if a friend has a grease gun and try it. If there is definitely no hole, I would drill it out if possible. Be patient, you'll get it.

Jon Wildes likes this.
  5. Jon Wildes

Jon Wildes TJ Padawan
    Supporting Member

i have contacted the seller of the crown automotive part. i wanted to hear their thoughts before i go and drill it out and possibly loss the ability to return it. we will see what happens here.

6. JMT

JMT The Jeep Guy
    Supporting Member Ride of the Month Winner

Smart

Jon Wildes likes this.
  7. Jon Wildes

Jon Wildes TJ Padawan
    Supporting Member

This is one of the joints. The only one that looks to have not been drilled out, when I move the bolt I don’t see any motion inside the grease fitting hole. I should. So if I drill this out and it works I still have 2 joints that are blocked in some way. Maybe they need to be drilled out also. I’m not sure. I have no way of knowing. This is why you buy good parts. I am kicking myself for buying this and not saving for the Currie.

Attached Files: