ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

I’ve got everything installed but 3 of the 4 grease fittings won’t accept grease. Can I get new fittings and swap them out?

so I have swapped out the grease points on the ZJ tie rod ends with the old grease points I also relaxed all pressure by breaking torque on the bolts. I put grease into the fitting and removed the fitting. There is grease inside the cavity so it’s going through the fitting but it isn’t reaching the boot. Grease inside the boot is non existent. I think they failed to drill it out all the way or drilled to small a hole and it can’t makes its way into the boot. Can I drill a bobber hole or am I destined to take all this crap off and ship it back?? Should have bought the Currie setup. Money was just too hard to come by at the time.

so I have swapped out the grease points on the ZJ tie rod ends with the old grease points I also relaxed all pressure by breaking torque on the bolts. I put grease into the fitting and removed the fitting. There is grease inside the cavity so it’s going through the fitting but it isn’t reaching the boot. Grease inside the boot is non existent. I think they failed to drill it out all the way or drilled to small a hole and it can’t makes its way into the boot. Can I drill a bobber hole or am I destined to take all this crap off and ship it back?? Should have bought the Currie setup. Money was just too hard to come by at the time.
Well, this is an anomaly. The only possible problems are they didn't drill the hole out. If there was even a small hole some grease would be getting into the boot under pressure. I would remove one grease fitting, clean all the grease off and do a very close inspection to see if there is a hole or not. If there is then something is wrong with the grease gun. Pressure is not being exerted for some reason. See if a friend has a grease gun and try it. If there is definitely no hole, I would drill it out if possible. Be patient, you'll get it.

Well, this is an anomaly. The only possible problems are they didn't drill the hole out. If there was even a small hole some grease would be getting into the boot under pressure. I would remove one grease fitting, clean all the grease off and do a very close inspection to see if there is a hole or not. If there is then something is wrong with the grease gun. Pressure is not being exerted for some reason. See if a friend has a grease gun and try it. If there is definitely no hole, I would drill it out if possible. Be patient, you'll get it.
i have contacted the seller of the crown automotive part. i wanted to hear their thoughts before i go and drill it out and possibly loss the ability to return it. we will see what happens here.

i have contacted the seller of the crown automotive part. i wanted to hear their thoughts before i go and drill it out and possibly loss the ability to return it. we will see what happens here.
Smart

Reactions: Jon Wildes
This is one of the joints. The only one that looks to have not been drilled out, when I move the bolt I don’t see any motion inside the grease fitting hole. I should. So if I drill this out and it works I still have 2 joints that are blocked in some way. Maybe they need to be drilled out also. I’m not sure. I have no way of knowing. This is why you buy good parts. I am kicking myself for buying this and not saving for the Currie.

0941B7B8-B40A-46DE-9830-B236303E650F.jpeg

I've never broken any zerks either, but thought that it would be an interesting question. Needle zerks are slooowww and messy.

All the parts showed up yesterday to do the install. Time to degrease, prime and paint. So whadda' ya think? Pink? Blue? Bright red?

Oh, while everything is out and unpainted...is there interest in pictures? If so, what of?

Does anyone know of a good source for either needle zerks or (preferably) the caps? I just put a Currie Dana 44 under the front end of my MJ and I would lime to replace a standard zerk in the location discussed earlier in this thread. Everything I've found so far is pricey for ones and twos. Thoughts?
And yes, I drive my LJ daily... :^)

Is 1993 to 1998 the years of of Grand Cherokee I am looking for these steering parts for the conversion. If so they do not look like they are any different from what is on my 05 TJ now

Reactions: Chris
Is 1993 to 1998 the years of of Grand Cherokee I am looking for these steering parts for the conversion. If so they do not look like they are any different from what is on my 05 TJ now

Yes, those years are correct.

The drag link isn't different than the one only your Jeep, it is identical.

The tie rod is however beefier, but ONLY on the V8 model Grand Cherokees.

Reactions: Mud dauber
Yes, those years are correct.

The drag link isn't different than the one only your Jeep, it is identical.

The tie rod is however beefier, but ONLY on the V8 model Grand Cherokees.
Hey thanks for the quick reply! I looked you up and saw you were a web designer so I figured you were online!

I was able to look at 6 Grand Cherokees from that era in one yard. I had looked at enough photos here to pretty much know what I was looking for but alas none were V8's. I guess those are a little harder to find.

My idea is to pull all the parts and buy new Steering tie rod end to install. I will keep looking.
Thanks Again!

Reactions: JMT
Hey thanks for the quick reply! I looked you up and saw you were a web designer so I figured you were online!

I was able to look at 6 Grand Cherokees from that era in one yard. I had looked at enough photos here to pretty much know what I was looking for but alas none were V8's. I guess those are a little harder to find.

My idea is to pull all the parts and buy new Tie Rod ends to install. I will keep looking.
Thanks Again!

Why not just buy the parts online per the original post in this thread?

Then they'd be brand new, and with as cheap as they are, there's no reason not to.

Here's the parts you need (from the original post):

Then they'd be brand new, and with as cheap as they are, there's no reason not to.
DID IT, my wife thanks you;)
This site has cost me over 500.00 in the last couple days. Just little things!

Yep, not really worth pulling used parts. I was going to pull used stuff until I realized how cheap it all was new.

Reactions: Chris
Yep, not really worth pulling used parts. I was going to pull used stuff until I realized how cheap it all was new.

Yep. Unless you're going after an entire axle, it's not worth the time or money to go pull little stuff like this from a wrecking yard. Not unless you already have a reason to go out there to begin with.

Reactions: derekmac
Yep. Unless you're going after an entire axle, it's not worth the time or money to go pull little stuff like this from a wrecking yard. Not unless you already have a reason to go out there to begin with
You two are absolutely right. What was I thinking, Spending all that time in a greasy pick-a-part yard, pulling parts off a wreck. I was hoping to get lucky.

It's in my blood though! As a kid I went around to every antique mall, auctions and such with my parents looking for jewels. HaHa It's Fun, can't take the country out of the boy. Just look at my Avatar, that looks better than my Jeep.

I'm pretty lucky I found this forum though. Thanks