ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

I never thought to do the steering drag link. I've just done the horizontal tie rod. Is the zj parts an upgrade there as well.

No, the ZJ drag link is the same as the TJ version it’s only the tie rod that is beefier.

Alright guys, whats the trick to separate the Drag Link from the Pitman Arm? Mine is so F'ing stuck its ridiculous. I have a Pickle Fork and a BFH (no luck), and I borrowed a pitman/tie rod separator from Auto Zone and it would have worked but I have no clearance to turn the bolt, I cannot even put a wrench on it its right up against the steering box.

Reactions: Mud dauber
Smack the side of the pitman with a good size hammer right at the joint, it'll drop free after a few hits.
Definitely tried that but maybe my hammer doesn't have the weight required. I'll try again though and see what happens. Thanks.

EDIT: OK! Got it. I hit it several more times on that right side and nothing, but I gave it a few whacks on the left side with the handle of the pickle fork itself and it dropped right off.

Wow, what a pita. All the other tie rod ends came right off no prob, but that pitman arm was a beast.

Last edited:
So I assume that your tie rod is all in one piece, and since it was rusted solid didn't move at all and you can use it to measure against for the replacement?

So I assume that your tie rod is all in one piece, and since it was rusted solid didn't move at all and you can use it to measure against for the replacement?
Oh yeah! Just got the tie rod with drag link and steering stabilizer off as 1 piece, layer it on the ground nice, and assembled the new stuff exactly as it was. All measurements are right on. Now to reinstall everything and see how it fits up under there.

Reactions: Serbonze
Oh yeah! Just got the tie rod with drag link and steering stabilizer off as 1 piece, layer it on the ground nice, and assembled the new stuff exactly as it was. All measurements are right on. Now to reinstall everything and see how it fits up under there.

Great! I'm glad it worked out, and hopefully it was easier than you anticipated.

One thing I did too that I don't think that I mentioned was spray the adjustment sleeves with Fluid Film just as a precaution.

FYI, the ZJ conversion with a TJ Drag Link is now costing about $300 on Amazon Prime if you get a new steering stabilizer as well.

There needs to be more clarity on what you need to do this conversion in the OP. Of course, I'm adding the Drag Link, so it could be added as an addendum

ES3095R Tie Rod End (x1)
ES3096L Tie Rod End (x2)
DS1312 Tie Rod End (which is your Tie Rod) (x1)
DS1430 Tie Rod End (which is your Drag Link) (x1)
Steering Stabilizer of your Choice
Ok showing my ignorance on this subject here. Why is the ES3095R Tie Rod End required?

Thanks,
Lou

Thanks Arizona - checked out this link and watched a few YouTube videos and I am good to go. Just have to save my milk money to buy the new gear for the upgrade.
Lou
Good deal. Sorry for the delay. Been out of town today

ok so what i have gathered i can get the ZJ tie rod pieces from NAPA. if this is true i have a family member who can get wholesale prices there. should make it much cheaper. below are the part numbers from Stu-offroad. I am trying to verify i have this correct. if anyone has the parts list they used lying around it would be appreciated. just want to verify im good.

Tie Rod End

269-2788 (Napa #)
ES3096L (Moog #)

Adjusting Sleeve
269-1134 (Napa #)
ES2079S (Moog #)

Tie Rod
NCP 269-6085 (Napa #) or
DS1312 (Moog #)

Last edited:
I would be willing to be that many hundreds of Jeepers have used those part numbers. I know I did when I wrote the article....and I've answered hundreds of questions over the years. Not a single person ever said the part numbers are wrong. I didn't verify if you copied them correctly....I leave that up to you.

I would be willing to be that many hundreds of Jeepers have used those part numbers. I know I did when I wrote the article....and I've answered hundreds of questions over the years. Not a single person ever said the part numbers are wrong. I didn't verify if you copied them correctly....I leave that up to you.
nope copied from stu olsens jeep site. just wanted to make sure. thank you for your input.

wasn't trying to offend you by suggesting your part numbers were wrong. there has just been some questions raised as to which parts should be used and connect flawlessly.

wasn't trying to offend you by suggesting your part numbers were wrong. there has just been some questions raised as to which parts should be used and connect flawlessly.

No offense taken. I've yet to be informed that there have been any connectivity issues regarding the parts and whether they carried a Moog or Napa designation. As I mentioned, that list has been up for a while....I'm thinking about 16~17 years, give or one. Good luck on your project.

Best regards, Stu

@Chris

Here are the torque specs for this Conversion from the 93-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ Full Service Manual for the 4.0L I6 and the 5.2L V8.

Drag Link to Pitman Arm Nut - 81 Nm / 60 ft.lbs.
Drag Link to Knuckle Nut - 47 Nm / 35 ft.lbs.
Drag Link Clamp Bolts - 49 Nm / 36 ft.lbs.
Tie Rod Clamp Bolts - 49 Nm / 35 ft.lbs
Tie Rod Knuckle - 47 Nm / 35 ft.lbs
Tie Rod to Drag Link - 75 Nm / 55 ft.lbs.

Hope this helps somebody
You are a gentleman and a scholar sir. Was thinking I remembered someone posting this. Thank you.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Used the same numbers and ordered all Moog stuff from Amazon. Everything went in smoothly.
20180830_154320_resized.jpg