ZJ Tie Rod Conversion

Is the ZJ tie rod upgrade really for someone that wheels their rig and runs larger tires?

Curious to know If there is any benefit of this upgrade for a street Jeep that runs 2.5” lift with 33s. Does it help or prevent anything that the lift may have caused? Even if the factory tie rod and ends are in good shape.

Hitting a curb, or hitting a rock, strength is strength. Compare the two and you'll see why it makes sense to upgrade. FWIW, two things to not cheap out on...brakes and steering!

The upgrade is in strength, if your factory stuff is not worn at all then I would wait till you bent it or wore it out if you don't go wheeling. Sure it's not going to hurt anything to do the upgrade aside from your wallet and it's not that bad.

Reactions: freebo86
I installed it and my Jeep is a DD, I won't run anything bigger than 30x9.5x15. I'm very happy with it and I don't think it's overkill at all for you or me. If you were talking about the Currie steering, yeah that might be more for folks who do more serious stuff.

Also, for the price (especially if you do it yourself), it's a no brainer upgrade.

Reactions: Irun and CodaMan
If your stock components are in good shape that's great. If you have to replace them, you might as well go with the heavy duty.

I got my tie rod off a junkyard ZJ In perfect shape for $10. Highly recommend

That's a hell of a deal. I bought new from Amazon, I think the total bill was just under $200 .

It's probably worth pointing out again that someone has problems with the parts bag with the drag link and tie rod end if you order from Amazon. Got my DS1312 in today and was planning on getting this installed - both boxes are missing the accessory bag with the castle nut, pin, boot, and grease fitting. So that kinda effs up my day. Called Moog - they're sending everything but the castle nut. He didn't have those, but I should be able to find one of those around here.
Poop.

It's probably worth pointing out again that someone has problems with the parts bag with the drag link and tie rod end if you order from Amazon. Got my DS1312 in today and was planning on getting this installed - both boxes are missing the accessory bag with the castle nut, pin, boot, and grease fitting. So that kinda effs up my day. Called Moog - they're sending everything but the castle nut. He didn't have those, but I should be able to find one of those around here.
Poop.

Sucks - that happened to me with one of mine as well. You can definitely get the castle nut at a hardware store. Extra assorted grease fittings from Oreilly or any auto parts store, it's likely that at least one of the zerks won't thread in. There's always one for me at least ha.

Does anyone know where you can order JUST replacement/spare boots for the TRE's and stuff for Moog? I'd really like to have some on hand but I'm not aware of any way to purchase the correct ones by themselves

Reactions: starkey480
Does anyone know where you can order JUST replacement/spare boots for the TRE's and stuff for Moog? I'd really like to have some on hand but I'm not aware of any way to purchase the correct ones by themselves
I don't think moog sells spare parts for their stuff. While the part number means what the application is, the taper and threads, over the years the joint size, boot style and design changes. They aren't in the business of making old boots and keeping track of a million joint revisions. That's probably why then don't list or sell boots. You might have carefully measure to find a generic solution and hope it works.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=323991765953

To beat the dead horse, just because you have a Moog ES3096L dose not mean that it will take the same boot as my ES3096L depending on when we bought the joint.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I don't think moog sells spare parts for their stuff. While the part number means what the application is, the taper and threads, over the years the joint size, boot style and design changes. They aren't in the business of making old boots and keeping track of a million joint revisions. That's probably why then don't list or sell boots. You might have carefully measure to find a generic solution and hope it works.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=323991765953

To beat the dead horse, just because you have a Moog ES3096L dose not mean that it will take the same boot as my ES3096L depending on when we bought the joint.

Makes sense, appreciate the suggestion and the link. Would explain why even generic boots don't seem to be too common

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Poop.

I got a bag castle nuts from Fastenal for like $3. Think its 1/2-20. I had a couple strip out when I removed them. May have been over tighten by the last person working on it.

Poop.

I've had this happen to me several times now and it's incredibly frustrating. I no longer order steering parts from amazon as a result.