“Thought it was done” build / blog

2017, before the latest fire,
2373a2350a139731c2f618660f30d6e8.jpg
20170820_125930.jpg
20170820_140245.jpg
20170820_143338.jpg

I like the flipping the case, but the adapter would be a good option for me too
Ya I like the flip kit mostly due to the shifters being made by AA and TJ specific. The kit comes with short linkage so I ordered the linkage for the 4 speed.

Little bit of progress this week, man I’m glad I’m over the flu bug I had last week. Got 2 cases mostly together with flip kits installed. Hopefully have them completed and doubler boxes mocked up to them by the end of the week. Plan is to get at least one of them installed in one of the rigs this weekend. We will see if all goes as planned. Lol

90775067-CC75-46C0-80AC-F1C4756A896F.jpeg

5CEDD387-67B8-46BC-BF80-B541A29FCE68.jpeg

Reactions: Wildman
Worried about the “what if’s”. Lol. I think the Installs will go smooth. Getting the shifters installed and dialed in will be the most time consuming part me thinks.

Worried about the “what if’s”. Lol. I think the Installs will go smooth. Getting the shifters installed and dialed in will be the most time consuming part me thinks.

I can say my trials and failures trying to get shifters dialed in was not confidence inspiring. But I'm "HOPING" the cable shifters will go a little more smoothly than the mechanical ones I've had up til now.

The doubler is a cable setup. The twin sticks for the Dana 300 are Atlas shifters so I am hopeful they won’t be too bad.

The doubler is a cable setup. The twin sticks for the Dana 300 are Atlas shifters so I am hopeful they won’t be too bad.

The shifters from STaK's were a royal PITA. Their first setup were really bad and then about a year after they released a second version that was better. Since I'm going with the GR custom center console I'm going cable this time around.

I think you should be OK with the AA shifters from everything I've read and the NWF shifter from a buddy who has one says it works well.

Reactions: Gollywomper
I have not read anything negative about the AA sticks. Cables would have been the preferred shifters but I wanted to keep a stock look. Keeping the twins in the stock location and the doubler next to the E brake should keep it very stockish looking. Cables will look sweet mounted to the GR console.

I have not read anything negative about the AA sticks. Cables would have been the preferred shifters but I wanted to keep a stock look. Keeping the twins in the stock location and the doubler next to the E brake should keep it very stockish looking. Cables will look sweet mounted to the GR console.

I like where you are going with this. A LONG time ago JP magazine I think it was did a article on what you're doing. I thought I'd kept that issue since I have a SE but can't find it now. I honestly don't remember which transfer case they used but it was a good How To article at the time.

I’m putting together a couple proven parts so it should work out. Dana 300 is plenty strong for a SE, even behind the doubler. The nwf eco box is proven to handle way more hp and torque as well. Should be a pretty sound assembly. Just worried about any new vibrations or gear noises. Have hubs up front on mine so only have the rear to worry about. My old 231 is noisy so should be quieter than it is.

Well as I've said before I'm interested in seeing this come about as I'd thought about doing it before I did the engine swap. But I still like seeing what others are doing with their 4 bangers.

I hope it all works out. Gear driven t-cases always had a little more "noise" than chain driven but I can't say that it's a BAD thing.

Reactions: Gollywomper
I’m putting together a couple proven parts so it should work out. Dana 300 is plenty strong for a SE, even behind the doubler. The nwf eco box is proven to handle way more hp and torque as well. Should be a pretty sound assembly. Just worried about any new vibrations or gear noises. Have hubs up front on mine so only have the rear to worry about. My old 231 is noisy so should be quieter than it is.
The worst vib/noise for me is when i lug the motor (thanks 42RLE) atlas rattles like crazy. Terrible noise. Got better when i adjusted my rear DS but still there.