04 LJK Repair, Redo, Recycle - The 3 R's of a First Build

Honestly I did not expect it to be that hard. Had to sand the hinge on driver side to get the plastic bushing in. I got everything thing in ok, had to remove pass side bracket and drill it out. Tried to remove driver side and top torx stripped out.

Now.... Where did I put those hinge nuts I took off a year ago? 🤔

PXL_20210307_005610104.jpg

Reactions: Apparition
Honestly I did not expect it to be that hard. Had to sand the hinge on driver side to get the plastic bushing in. I got everything thing in ok, had to remove pass side bracket and drill it out. Tried to remove driver side and top torx stripped out.

Now.... Where did I put those hinge nuts I took off a year ago? 🤔

View attachment 231864
I also found if you overtighten the hinge nuts, you’ll never need them again.

I do hunt, and I moved here from Montana. I am also lucky to have some great private/public access over near Leadore Idaho.
That's pretty close to where I'm looking in MT area (if we draw)..planning to head to the Dillon area. We love hiking & hunting timber. We went way east MT two years ago, miles city, it's all open and road hunting trying out more west now.

My kids sanded these power wheels parts down over the last 3 months. I painted them yesterday and now we will reassemble and then I'm going to rewire for M18 batteries. My boy is pretty stoked.

PXL_20210308_214951611.jpg

B00mb00m. I'm having 2nd thoughts on the JK axles for my TJ-R. I have another set of TJ Rubicon axles I'm working on and I can either strengthen these for 37's or continue the F&R JK Rubicon axle build. I'm planning a 100" stretch and around my woods, narrow rigs squeeze through trees and can take several lines JK's and JL's can't.. While vice-versa happens on uphill obstacles. Did you ever, at any point, regret going with wider Jk axles? Or did you regret not going even wider with 1-ton axles?

B00mb00m. I'm having 2nd thoughts on the JK axles for my TJ-R. I have another set of TJ Rubicon axles I'm working on and I can either strengthen these for 37's or continue the F&R JK Rubicon axle build. I'm planning a 100" stretch and around my woods, narrow rigs squeeze through trees and can take several lines JK's and JL's can't.. While vice-versa happens on uphill obstacles. Did you ever, at any point, regret going with wider Jk axles? Or did you regret not going even wider with 1-ton axles?
I know this is directed at Boom. He has a wicked build.

I just finished my 1ton swap and narrowed my front KP60 to match the rear Sterling (approx 65.5" JK width). I live in Vancouver , BC (PNW) and found that it is just perfect for the narrow tree trails that I used to run on Rubi44s, BUT have that extra width for stability etc..

Reactions: B00mb00m
I have no regrets with JK axles for the reasons I bought them for, except that now i want tons only because JK axles are not bulletproof. I get to wheel with guys whos axles are bulletproof, they can push with no worries and i have to be careful. Thats going to eventually be a problem. I would've ended up with absolute dogshit suspension and steering for my pricepoint and tons. Rockjocks were NOT an option budget wise. I've been able to incrementally build and that has been a help.

The big driver for JK was i wanted wider axles for looks and stability, i wanted that kind of buggy look, and i wanted bigger brakes and high pinion, lockers, gears, etc.... JK axles were a good way to get into that for the money, for me. I go through skinny stuff no problem and we have lots of skinny stuff here at 65WMS and 4.5" backspacing.

I know this is directed at Boom. He has a wicked build.

I just finished my 1ton swap and narrowed my front KP60 to match the rear Sterling (approx 65.5" JK width). I live in Vancouver , BC (PNW) and found that it is just perfect for the narrow tree trails that I used to run on Rubi44s, BUT have that extra width for stability etc..
You got a build thread LJ? I'd like to read about 1 ton work. What year sterling got you 65.5, 99-04?

You got a build thread LJ? I'd like to read about 1 ton work. What year sterling got you 65.5, 99-04?
Hey Boom

I kind of documented my build on FB and my local BCjeepclub.ca

I didn't have time with the kids to make one on here. Sign up for Bcjeepclub.ca and you can see my build. IF you would like to chat, you can always call me (PM me ).

I took axles from a 91' F350 Diesel SRW

Reactions: B00mb00m
Hey Boom

I kind of documented my build on FB and my local BCjeepclub.ca

I didn't have time with the kids to make one on here. Sign up for Bcjeepclub.ca and you can see my build. IF you would like to chat, you can always call me (PM me ).

I took axles from a 91' F350 Diesel SRW
Sounds good I'll ck out your club writeup

Finished the power wheel jeep Barbarian for my boy on his birthday today. He's a happy kid!

Here's the video I used for the electronics in case anyone wants to do an M18 swap.

I also wired in some amazon fog lights.

PXL_20210314_040102865.jpg

PXL_20210314_040053335.jpg

PXL_20210314_041506379.jpg

Last edited:
I'm tagging along with the local wheeling club (tamers) tomorrow at reiter. Should be some easy wheeling I just HAVE to get out and try my atlas! I haven't wanted to wheel in the rain but fuckit it won't stop raining whatever.

I'm tagging along with the local wheeling club (tamers) tomorrow at reiter. Should be some easy wheeling I just HAVE to get out and try my atlas! I haven't wanted to wheel in the rain but fuckit it won't stop raining whatever.
Does it ever stop raining where you are? :)

Can’t wait to hear how you like the new case. We expect a full report.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman

Hehehe,
You wetside guys can't catch a break. It has sprinkled here the past two days but that has been it & it's been in the high 40's & low 50's.

Have fun at Reiter.

No, no it doesn't EVER stop raining here!! Its ridiculous. It was a pretty rad day. The Atlas did great. I loved the additional ratio. I got the 3.8, for the rock crawling 4.3 would be even better I'm sure but it probably wouldn't be as versatile.

I tried front digs everywhere today. Honestly, I didn't find the perfect time to use the front dig. I definitely need the cutting brakes, the atlas by itself was insufficient for turning corners.

Wheeled with a new JL in our group. Those things are just too big for Pnw trails.

PXL_20210320_214250872.jpg

PXL_20210320_192828354.jpg