04 LJK Repair, Redo, Recycle - The 3 R's of a First Build

I have friends in Norway, where they have a saying. “There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.”
Yup we live by that motto mountain climbing, mountain biking, fishing and hunting are all done no matter what comes. Skiing I really do try to avoid doing in the rain. Been there done that got the t-shirt. I've come to partially enjoy the rain in my activities because in the Puget sound if its sunny out all the world goes outside but you go out in the rain and there is some real peace and quiet.

One casualty for the day, I was turning around mid trail to winch a guy and I ask the guy "hey is there a tree behind me if I go further back? (Mirrors and rear window were not functional)." Nope he replies followed by an explosion of plastic.
PXL_20210321_181121674.jpg

skid plates were all doing their jobs that's for sure. My plate engine skid either didn't get hit or flexed out of the way enough that it didn't leave marks.

Really need to get some half doors and soft uppers. I was 1" from blowing out my driver side window on a tree.

One cool thing about this trip was my buddy I normally go with wasn't there. That in and of itself isn't cool but he's an incredible spotter and he gets me through everything without me having to think just follow directions. So today I didn't have that and in addition we had a 4 door JL rubicon with us. Guiding that jl rubi on 37s was like a master class in spotting. The break over was so bad and add to that the computer system wouldn't let him power brake.

So I tried to be a lot more creative in line choices and look for the not straight ahead path. This was one of those obstacles. Looks easy from here but the boulders are undercut from back side and they are so ramped to the point of the rock that with the rain tires just constantly want to slide off. I took a very angled line in instead and was able to walk this with ease and some good spotting. Got the video second hand. I'd like to get a go pro and a buddy who can take good video there's some super fun obstacles on this trail called boulder alley.

And after wheeling picked up a defunct teraflex housing and 35 spline jk44 ARB used. Hoping to salvage the teraflex and put currie 60 outers. Its a MASSIVE 44 housing
PXL_20210321_195021780.jpg

When I've used the front dig with my Jeep has been on tight switchbacks where I had a tree or rock to pivot against. So instead of having to do a 3-6 point turn I have been able to make it with just the front dig. I guess I'd have to see someone with cutting brakes do a front dig. I know how tight of a turn you can make with a farm tractor using the separate brakes.

I'll bet you're happy to be able get the Jeep out. And GREAT score on the TeraFlex housing & ARB.

One casualty for the day, I was turning around mid trail to winch a guy and I ask the guy "hey is there a tree behind me if I go further back? (Mirrors and rear window were not functional)." Nope he replies followed by an explosion of plastic.
View attachment 236267

skid plates were all doing their jobs that's for sure. My plate engine skid either didn't get hit or flexed out of the way enough that it didn't leave marks.

Really need to get some half doors and soft uppers. I was 1" from blowing out my driver side window on a tree.
Looks like you need a backup camera with surround view. 🤪

So I'm trying to piece together a 44/60 hybrid and got the currie C's for it. I thought the Dana 60 C's would dwarf the 44 C's but they're really quite similar the balljoint vertical spacing is nearly identical between the two which is what I thought would be the big driver for balljoint loads. Note the tera forgings are way beefed compared to dana jk forgings.
PXL_20210330_225036238.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Vasq
You must win the lottery... JL HD calipers & rotors and now the Dana 44 housing...

That is some beef. Are the ball joints larger as well?
I don't currently have those parts yet, so can't say, I think Blaine has posted comparison before and the 60 is bigger. I think the Ball Joint deletes are able to use a 7/8 in the Dana 60 vs 3/4 in the Dana 44.

You must win the lottery... JL HD calipers & rotors and now the Dana 44 housing...
Well the housing was essentially scrapped it will be up to Carl Jantz to see if he can salvage the bearing saddles. I hope it works because its like the perfect 44 hybrid housing. The tube OD is 3.25" which means the Currie C can be bored from 3 to 3.125 and the tube turned down to 3.125 for a perfect fit.

now if I could make an adapter to run the JL brakes on the Dana 60 knuckle that would be minimal change.

Well the housing was essentially scrapped it will be up to Carl Jantz to see if he can salvage the bearing saddles. I hope it works because its like the perfect 44 hybrid housing. The tube OD is 3.25" which means the Currie C can be bored from 3 to 3.125 and the tube turned down to 3.125 for a perfect fit.

now if I could make an adapter to run the JL brakes on the Dana 60 knuckle that would be minimal change.
Super Jeep

Reactions: Wildman
Chaya. Might try to get 2 swapped onto the beadlocks as my Friday evening project. I forgot how much work putting tires on is and still have to decide my redneck bead breaker method of choice. I will be using beads for balancing on
PXL_20210401_012912213.jpg
these.