04 LJK Repair, Redo, Recycle - The 3 R's of a First Build

When are you testing the tires?
Not sure yet. My tow rig is down for a blown pinion seal, dropped it at my cousin's today to get fixed. Also it's last couple weeks the ski area is open.... That being said i REALLY want to test these out

Took my axle housing up to my in-laws so I had something to do besides sit and eat all weekend. I got a lesson in oxy-acetyline cutting from my father in law and then went to work with the angle grinder. I got everything removed except the LCA brackets, I can't recall I think the LCA brackets might be sames Jk to TJ.
PXL_20210405_223725159.jpg

I was finishing up removing powder coat with the wire wheel and I finally smoked my dewalt grinder, it literally caught on fire.
PXL_20210405_221546918.jpg

Then my FIL comes outside, "that's not an angle grinder, THIS is an angle grinder." Channeling his inner Croc Dundee.
PXL_20210405_221609268.jpg

Got my new tires + balance beads up to 55mph... I don't know what it was but I didn't love it. Felt loose and or bouncy. Not sure if the beads are working like they're supposed to be? I was at 26 psi cold. I put another 2 psi in when I got home to see if that makes a difference.

Figuring out some measurements on the potential 44/60 hybrid. i already have my coilover mounted a couple inches from the C and I want to protect for a similar mount on the new axle. My initial thought was leave the tubes exactly as they are and simply remove the 44 C's an add the Dana 60 currie C's. If i do that, my calcs show (i think?) that i'll end up at 69.5WMS axle with about 81.5" outer to outer on 12.5" wide tires. Thats actually seems reasonable. Here's my diagram:
1617685589353.png

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I drove with the ESCO beads (8oz) for two days and thought they acted like they didn't have enough beads. So I called ESCO and told them the situation and they looked up on their chart which is apparently different than what is posted online and since theyr Mud-Terrains 37s then it takes 14oz....😩

So after dinner I broke two of the beadlocks down and added 6 more oz of beads. I got it down to an hour a piece. I also picked up a super nice Starett 150-750 inlb torque wrench to do the job right. I stopped at two of the four because it was feeling dangerously like work and it's Friday.

so this 4.5" increase in length is just within the Dana 60 ends? from tube end to WMS?
are they all =? would a spyder 9 end finish the same? trailgear makes an oddball C too IIRC.

we'd really have to be able to eat that extra width inside the rims to not kick the wheels way off the tub.

so this 4.5" increase in length is just within the Dana 60 ends? from tube end to WMS?
are they all =? would a spyder 9 end finish the same? trailgear makes an oddball C too IIRC.

we'd really have to be able to eat that extra width inside the rims to not kick the wheels way off the tub.
Ya the increase as I drew it up is all in the Dana 60 ends from C to WMS essentially. Where I wheel i'd say 82" tire outside to tire outside would be absolute max. 80 would be ideal IMO.

Ya the increase as I drew it up is all in the Dana 60 ends from C to WMS essentially. Where I wheel i'd say 82" tire outside to tire outside would be absolute max. 80 would be ideal IMO.
The JK axle is 65" add 4.5 per side and your in the 75" ball park. And that's gonna leave the inside of the wheel at the tub edge 80"and your beyond unless you got deep rims.

The JK axle is 65" add 4.5 per side and your in the 75" ball park. And that's gonna leave the inside of the wheel at the tub edge 80"and your beyond unless you got deep rims.
Are you able to see the picture i made in powerpoint? It shows all the dimensions, the C dimension is 2.25" longer per side on the 99-04 Dana 60 C per the measurement i got from Toximus's thread where he showed it with a tape measure. W_tot in the picture is my measurement from outside tire to outside tire (81.5). This is also with 4.5 backspace, i haven't fully investigated what the max backspace is with 99-04 knuckles.

Took my axle housing up to my in-laws so I had something to do besides sit and eat all weekend. I got a lesson in oxy-acetyline cutting from my father in law and then went to work with the angle grinder. I got everything removed except the LCA brackets, I can't recall I think the LCA brackets might be sames Jk to TJ.
View attachment 241208

I was finishing up removing powder coat with the wire wheel and I finally smoked my dewalt grinder, it literally caught on fire.
View attachment 241209
Then my FIL comes outside, "that's not an angle grinder, THIS is an angle grinder." Channeling his inner Croc Dundee.
View attachment 241210
is that a custom wood handle with a carriage bolt I see? if so I like your FIL already

HAH im not sure if its custom or not, if so he probably whittled an old growth fir from full size to handle just to make it.

reminds me of my fathers grinder...I think it was Sears and Roebuck's floor model from 50 years ago...size of a small dog and must be 12" or bigger..what the hell do you do with a grinder that big lol

reminds me of my fathers grinder...I think it was Sears and Roebuck's floor model from 50 years ago...size of a small dog and must be 12" or bigger..what the hell do you do with a grinder that big lol
you lose an appendage thats what you do, holy shit that thing is a handful.

• Haha
Reactions: P man
Are you able to see the picture i made in powerpoint? It shows all the dimensions, the C dimension is 2.25" longer per side on the 99-04 Dana 60 C per the measurement i got from Toximus's thread where he showed it with a tape measure. W_tot in the picture is my measurement from outside tire to outside tire (81.5). This is also with 4.5 backspace, i haven't fully investigated what the max backspace is with 99-04 knuckles.
ya, my stupidity.
i did the math wrong, adding 4.5 per side instead of 4.5 total, which is much more reasonable.

i sit pretty wide already. with a 13.5" swamper on either 3.75 or 4" (i can't recall off hand), and a 79" spread.

171183662_3822813387809396_7654284352048905928_n.jpg

ya, my stupidity.
i did the math wrong, adding 4.5 per side instead of 4.5 total, which is much more reasonable.

i sit pretty wide already. with a 13.5" swamper on either 3.75 or 4" (i can't recall off hand), and a 79" spread.

View attachment 244329
I like that width, 80" is good for me i think. I just need to figure out a quick disconnect hinge method for the windshield then when i got to Rimrock i can pull everything that can be rubbed on off the jeep and jam-er in.

I like that width, 80" is good for me i think. I just need to figure out a quick disconnect hinge method for the windshield then when i got to Rimrock i can pull everything that can be rubbed on off the jeep and jam-er in.

80" is too wide IMO for a lot of the trails in the PNW. I like to stay between 75-76" wide if I can.
After I crinkled my windshield frame at Rimrock I ordered the protectors/armor for the frame. They have worked good when I've had the windshield up. The only thing I can say is that since I've installed them the bad part is that I've cracked my windshield glass.

80" is too wide IMO for a lot of the trails in the PNW. I like to stay between 75-76" wide if I can.
After I crinkled my windshield frame at Rimrock I ordered the protectors/armor for the frame. They have worked good when I've had the windshield up. The only thing I can say is that since I've installed them the bad part is that I've cracked my windshield glass.
I don't actually wheel at rimrock so I don't think that will matter. Reiter and walker and evans should be ok I think. I looked at the trail jamboree runs and there was only one trail they said required under 80.

I don't actually wheel at rimrock so I don't think that will matter. Reiter and walker and evans should be ok I think. I looked at the trail jamboree runs and there was only one trail they said required under 80.

You haven't had fun until you wheel at Rimrock.

There are tons of people running wider rig but I have always tried to stay as narrow as I could.

Reactions: B00mb00m

There are still places I can take you but there are some places wide won't fit.

The sad/bad part is that over the last 20 years a lot of the trails have been cut out and are wider now.

The Shoestring trail & Naches Wagon pass trail are two examples of this. Back in the 70's the Shoestring was a 2 day trip to run it.