Your diffs will thank you :) Congrats, that’s a great deal. Are you changing the wheels then?
Thanks Matt. I thought a lot about new wheels. In some ways I want a change, in others it’s like an indelible imprint that marks my rig. I looked at Raceline beadlocks, Walker Evans, the classic Moab look alikes, and in the end, I don’t really need them, so I’ll just stay for now, I think. 🤔

Reactions: Wildman
Thanks Matt. I thought a lot about new wheels. In some ways I want a change, in others it’s like an indelible imprint that marks my rig. I looked at Raceline beadlocks, Walker Evans, the classic Moab look alikes, and in the end, I don’t really need them, so I’ll just stay for now, I think. 🤔
I just wasn’t sure since you were looking at a two different diameters (or at least I thought so, I certainly could have misread).

I just wasn’t sure since you were looking at a two different diameters (or at least I thought so, I certainly could have misread).
There have been times I thought about 17’s, especially with 35’s. IMHO, there are pros and cons. On paper, 15’s win out for me.

There have been times I thought about 17’s, especially with 35’s. IMHO, there are pros and cons. On paper, 15’s win out for me.
Lol... I knew it wasn't going to be long before you made the move. Once you hit 4" of lift...its hard to come up with reasons NOT to run 35's. I've been watching too. I'm going to put 35's on the Pintlers (17" wheel). The Coopers I had were from 2008! So...needless to say, they have come back off. I spend enough time on the highway that it scared me to run around on 13 year old tires!

I knew it wasn't going to be long before you made the move.
I’m a hopeless addict. 😁

It will be interesting to get your feedback on the 17’s. IIRC, you thought 15’s with 35’s were too squishy. Something like that. Get me squared away if I’m wrong.

I’m a hopeless addict. 😁

It will be interesting to get your feedback on the 17’s. IIRC, you thought 15’s with 35’s were too squishy. Something like that. Get me squared away if I’m wrong.
I noticed a difference in ride. Not sure exactly what it was. It might have been the extra sidewall, or the C rating (even at 26 PSI), or the extra unsprung weight (7 lbs a tire more). Hell, it could have been the old tires!

I'm trying to figure out what to buy right now. I don't really want to spend 300+ a tire, but I might. I'm trying to decide between a 35 x 10.5 Kenda and the 35 x 11.5 Toyo. Both Hybrids, the Toyo is C range, the Kenda is D. Toyo is about 100 dollars more a tire. The only thing that worries me about the Kendas is the fact that I have a 9" wide wheel and will it spin on the rim at low pressure....

Same, price per tire being a big part of it. Not everyone likes the "balloon" look - but some of that depends on the wheel. For example on mine, black on black ❌. But I also wouldn't recommend my wheels regardless, I've lost too many beads - on top of that the valve is in the way of re-seating it on the trail easily.

I’m a hopeless addict. 😁
I've also noticed a trend among a few of us...there is a bit of "current" pulling us all along roughly the same path. Some have stepped out into the faster moving waters...and gone crazy (Chris, Sri, etc). Then there are the guys like you and I that seem to all do roughly the same upgrades at roughly the same time.

I have another round of mods planned (much to my wife's disappointment) that is kicking off soon. Been accumulating parts all summer. Sure wish I could get some Master install kits for my gears...

will it spin on the rim at low pressure....
The 9” rim is an oddity. Guys around here run 10” rim with 35x13.5 Toyo’s. I have two on soft 8’s you can have. Just get them out of my yard!

Same, price per tire being a big part of it. Not everyone likes the "balloon" look - but some of that depends on the wheel. For example on mine, black on black ❌. But I also wouldn't recommend my wheels regardless, I've lost too many beads - on top of that the valve is in the way of re-seating it on the trail easily.
Price for sure. 17’s are a big $ jump both for wheel and tire. Also not as many options for load c tire. Ballon look with 15’s can be a downer, especially if it’s accentuated, as you mention.

I haven’t lost a bead yet. Maybe I’m not trying hard enough. On Jeep Forum I read several threads, “you don’t need them till you do” was a common theme. Another theme was not to turn too sharp when the tire is going to be wrapping over a rock or the tire may roll off. Lesson there was; drive smart if no beadlocks. Probably not drop below 8-10psi, though some rims have less of a lip, and that’s a limitation.

I've also noticed a trend among a few of us...there is a bit of "current" pulling us all along roughly the same path. Some have stepped out into the faster moving waters...and gone crazy (Chris, Sri, etc). Then there are the guys like you and I that seem to all do roughly the same upgrades at roughly the same time.

I have another round of mods planned (much to my wife's disappointment) that is kicking off soon. Been accumulating parts all summer. Sure wish I could get some Master install kits for my gears...
The path is somewhat narrow, so most of us follow pretty much the same logic. Some would say I should re-gear again before I go to 35’s, but the market and availability are always weighed in the equation. Plus, going to 35’s first gives me a chance to see how the gears turn them. I have a PM from a guy who preferred 456 gears over his 488’s with exact same setup. Then @rasband runs 513’s. Personally I think I’d like 513’s, but I’d like to know what 456’s are like before spending $500 on gears ⚙️ + three days of work. So, there’s justification for a few different paths, though they all lead to the same destination. The current is sweeping us all away, and I think Chris knew that needed to happen because I saw when it took place. The forum wouldn’t really go anywhere if everyone built a nice DD on 31’s with 2.5” OME (really 2”, but that was the old song and dance). When he went crazy, the forum numbers increased a lot and it became a raging flood!

Reactions: DrDmoney
Another theme was not to turn too sharp when the tire is going to be wrapping over a rock or the tire may roll off. Lesson there was; drive smart if no beadlocks. Probably not drop below 8-10psi, though some rims have less of a lip, and that’s a limitation.
I’m still learning this one, two of the times were full turn coming down off an obstacle, locked. So all the weight is on that corner and it just rolls off. Someday I’ll learn, or have beadlocks.

or have beadlocks.
This is the trajectory I see you on. You have the will and the wheelin’ terrain to justify it.

We’re both those beads lost in Moab?

Only justification I have for beadlocks is the need to air down to 4-6psi in snow, but I really don’t snow wheel enough to justify it, and I’ve never got stuck in snow, yet.

The path is somewhat narrow, so most of us follow pretty much the same logic. Some would say I should re-gear again before I go to 35’s, but the market and availability are always weighed in the equation. Plus, going to 35’s first gives me a chance to see how the gears turn them. I have a PM from a guy who preferred 456 gears over his 488’s with exact same setup. Then @rasband runs 513’s. Personally I think I’d like 513’s, but I’d like to know what 456’s are like before spending $500 on gears ⚙️ + three days of work. So, there’s justification for a few different paths, though they all lead to the same destination. The current is sweeping us all away, and I think Chris knew that needed to happen because I saw when it took place. The forum wouldn’t really go anywhere if everyone built a nice DD on 31’s with 2.5” OME (really 2”, but that was the old song and dance). When he went crazy, the forum numbers increased a lot and it became a raging flood!
For me it was candid conversations about what I really wanted to do, both with myself and with some others. I have "Conquered" everything Michigan has to offer (by way of natural obstactles). Granted, its not much, but the "build for where you wheel" theory means I was set...overbuilt, really. But, knowing I want to run the Rubicon, Moab, Maybe take a trip to Az and meet up with @starkey480 and @Chris...I'm really going to be happier on 35's. So, I pivoted. Luckily, I built "correctly" and I won't have a lot of undoing and rebuilding.

This is the trajectory I see you on. You have the will and the wheelin’ terrain to justify it.

We’re both those beads lost in Moab?
One in moab, one on Trough Trail (CO), and one on the way down from bill moore lake (CO) - but the last one was an unfortunate accident getting a rig off the mountain and me getting pulled sideways.

In order to keep my Jeep a comfortable daily, I've had to make some compromises in my build plans. As I get older, I find it less entertaining to hump the big rocks, so sticking to a 33" build just makes sense for me. Not that it really matters for Jeremy's thread, lol!

In order to keep my Jeep a comfortable daily, I've had to make some compromises in my build plans. As I get older, I find it less entertaining to hump the big rocks, so sticking to a 33" build just makes sense for me. Not that it really matters for Jeremy's thread, lol!
I see myself where you are in about 10-12 years. I’d be interested in doing a build similar to @Irun about that time and letting big red go. Who knows what aftermarket parts for TJ’s will be available then. Might be more feasible to do a 2- Door JLR then.

Reactions: D M and DrDmoney