My under hood light has been out for awhile. I saw @oldjeepman had some for sale, so I bought one. Then he suggested I buy another for the twins Jeep. So I did.

These are great little lights! Easy to hook up. Just drilled a couple holes, mounted it. Had a blown fuse, but fixed it and all is good now. It has 16’ of retractable wire and a magnet 🧲 on the back of the light 💡 ! It’s amazing where you can get light with this thing. Super handy!

BA164666-BE44-400A-8A98-09F97B7673CC.jpeg

29E3FFEA-BE9B-4063-A331-71438C694385.jpeg

A84BFF6D-14E1-4892-AD0D-8DFB687CE55B.jpeg

Front pinion seal leak. Before I remove the nut that holds the yoke on, do I mark it, count the threads and mark the yoke and driveshaft so I re-install everything in the same position? I'm worried I might crank it down and mess up the pre-load. Or is that nut supposed to be cranked down to 220 ft lbs?

Front Dana 30 is crush sleeve.
So I could mark the bolt, nut, yoke and driveshaft and count the visible threads on the pinion shaft and just reassemble to the original position after changing the seal to maintain the original pre-load?

Sounds good in theory. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in. That won't take much, lol!

Reactions: JMT
I had already ordered something pretty cool for the Jeep before the pinion seal went bad, so be watching for some news early next week.

HINT: I walked the plank

Last edited:
Reactions: Tldelaney
New shoes?
Home Run Matt! 😉

I kept watching FB Marketplace and CL for weeks, and all I could find were 35x12.5r18/r20, et al, then 4wd.com advertised no tax and $150 off on my tire of choice, which was the KM3 (for a grand total of $839 for 4 tires, hard to beat).

For those interested, I wanted this tire for several reasons:

1) smaller diameter for a 35 and I’m running 456 gears with the 6-speed and 4.0 and I just want it as friendly as possible till I re-gear
2) lighter 35, weighing in at just 64lbs, so again, trying to keep it peppy till I re-gear
3) they get pretty good reviews for an MT in snow and ice (in addition to other terrain)
4) I’ve never tried them before but many do

This will mean I’ve tried GY MTR, Cooper STT Pros, Maxxis Razr MT, and now the KM3. I had KM2’s on the Rubicon, and they did fine, but never put to a real test. My boys have the Cooper Discoverer AT and they hook up really well for the small amount they’ve seen, and I’m sure good on snow and ice.

I’m ditching Discount Tire. The one here on N Division has been crap for balancing the 33’s. I’m going with a small local joint that people swear by. Looking forward to meeting them. They sound like gearheads.

Home Run Matt! 😉

I kept watching FB Marketplace and CL for weeks, and all I could find were 35x12.5r18/r20, et al, then 4wd.com advertised no tax and $150 off on my tire of choice, which was the KM3 (for a grand total of $839 for 4 tires, hard to beat).

1) smaller diameter for a 35 and I’m running 456 gears with the 6-speed and 4.0 and I just want it as friendly as possible till I re-gear
2) lighter 35, weighing in at just 64lbs, so again, trying to keep it peppy till I re-gear
3) they get pretty good reviews for an MT in snow and ice (in addition to other terrain)

This will mean I’ve tried GY MTR, Cooper STT Pros, Maxxis Razr MT, and now the KM3. I had KM2’s on the Rubicon, and they did fine, but never put to a real test. My boys have the Cooper Discoverer AT and they hook up really well for the small amount they’ve seen, and I’m sure good on snow and ice.

I’m ditching Discount Tire. The one here on N Division has been crap for balancing the 33’s. I’m going with a small local joint that people swear by. Looking forward to meeting them. They sound like gearheads.

Awesome, cant wait to see the setup! congrats

Reactions: JMT
Awesome, cant wait to see the setup! congrats
To think, when I got on here Chris and everyone else said the biggest you ever need is 2.5 OME and 31’s. That wouldn’t work where we wheeled so I added a BL and went to 33’s. Then one day, out of the blue, when Chris was on about Jeep 3, he went crazy, and ever since then everyone has been going crazy. Happy with my build, but won’t hold a candle to some 35 builds on here. Kudos to them!

I will say that I love the Currie 4” coils and Rancho 5000X with a Full TT, lockers, gears, et al.

To think, when I got on here Chris and everyone else said the biggest you ever need is 2.5 OME and 31’s. That wouldn’t work where we wheeled so I added a BL and went to 33’s. Then one day, out of the blue, when Chris was on about Jeep 3, he went crazy, and ever since then everyone has been going crazy. Happy with my build, but won’t hold a candle to some 35 builds on here. Kudos to them!

I will say that I love the Currie 4” coils and Rancho 5000X with a Full TT, lockers, gears, et al.

I knew it was coming since I remember you talking about 35" tires a while ago. You will have some shocks to try out soon too.

So are the boys getting your 33" tires?

• Haha
Reactions: Tldelaney
I knew it was coming since I remember you talking about 35" tires a while ago. You will have some shocks to try out soon too.

So are the boys getting your 33" tires?
Yeah, I’m coming through next week for the Walker Evans shocks! next Saturday to be precise. I’ll be in touch with you about the time. Don’t want to mess up your day. 😇

It looks like they will. We’re on Grimm Jeeper and I’m showing them that the RPM difference between 32’s and 33’s with the 42rle is very minimal. After fooling around with the calculator they decided on 513 gears.

Yeah, I’m coming through next week for the Walker Evans shocks! next Saturday to be precise. I’ll be in touch with you about the time. Don’t want to mess up your day. 😇

It looks like they will. We’re on Grimm Jeeper and I’m showing them that the RPM difference between 32’s and 33’s with the 42rle is very minimal. After fooling around with the calculator they decided on 513 gears.

OK right now I don't think I have anything happening that day. Are you going to try out the Crab Pot while in Seattle?

Hopefully when the boys have the funds and are ready to regear my Jeep will be out of the garage so they can bring it over. I might charge them a case of beer and a T-Bone steak that I can cook at home....... But of course we'd have the BBQ while you all were here.

And the work on your Jeep still needs to get done. I'm open whenever you want to attack it.

Home Run Matt! 😉

Which shop? Being new to the area and not knowing all the good places is driving me nuts

Reactions: Wildman
Home Run Matt! 😉

Your diffs will thank you :) Congrats, that’s a great deal. Are you changing the wheels then?

Reactions: Wildman
My pinion nut came loose when I first got the Jeep. I torqued her down to the middle of the spec range and prayed that it was the right torque for the crush sleeve. 2 years later and been fine. Not saying it’s the right way but it worked for me

Which shop? Being new to the area and not knowing all the good places is driving me nuts
I’m going to try Bison Tire in Airway Heights. Cutting Edge Customs I know is very good shop in ID. Here’s a screen shot of the other suggestions people made.

1B6E1D77-C2EB-4B83-B59D-CF91FDC7196F.png