I’ve been messing with this for a month now. Shuddering noise which you can hear in the videos below.

1) shuddering sound in 1st-3rd under acceleration
2) can’t replicate in 4H
3) can’t replicate with rear DS removed
4) pinion 22.3/shaft 23.7
5) driveshaft serviced by Adams and ujoint replaced last week
6) pinion does not move significantly under load from what I can tell.
7) I can replicate it to a lesser degree in reverse under hard acceleration
8) can’t replicate with rear on jackstands

@tworley, @Mike_H, @mrblaine @rasband? Please see this video and the next one in next post (total 15 seconds). Any help is appreciated. I just want to get it back on the road at this point.

Last edited:
In this video we laid the phone on the ground and used slow-mo. You can definitely hear where the sound is coming from. The sound was the same before and after I sent the shaft to Adams. They replaced a ujoint. Ring and pinion are good. The only way I could link to this is through iCloud. YouTube upload eliminated the slow-mo, rendering it useless. Hopefully this will work.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0xC5YNTUKmqivIHar6fkYc0mg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: DrDmoney
In this video we laid the phone on the ground and used slow-mo. You can definitely hear where the sound is coming from. The sound was the same before and after I sent the shaft to Adams. They replaced a ujoint. Ring and pinion are good. The only way I could link to this is through iCloud. YouTube upload eliminated the slow-mo, rendering it useless. Hopefully this will work.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0xC5YNTUKmqivIHar6fkYc0mg
Timing of the noise definitely seems to line up with the driveshaft rotation in this one. I'd probably move the GoPro around down there to narrow in, or find someone to swap shafts with for a test run.

If you drive similarly in reverse, is the noise the same?

Timing of the noise definitely seems to line up with the driveshaft rotation in this one. I'd probably move the GoPro around down there to narrow in, or find someone to swap shafts with for a test run.

If you drive similarly in reverse, is the noise the same?
It’s much less pronounced in reverse. I really have to get on it to hear it, but it is there. Nothing compared to forward.

GoPro tomorrow

does kinda sound like it a turning part making contact somewhere and does seem to time with the shaft revolutions.
the noise seems to peak when the bottom end of the shaft and the dif go overhead.

shafts new...... whens the last time you peeked into that diff?

or 1 and 3 are the power gears and might put the most torque into the drive sys and a sloppy mount is letting something torque to far?
or the TC end joint appears dead center of the tunnel but the diff is favoring 1 side more. are we inline?

Damn I wish you were closer. I'm not sure what it is but I'd be pulling your diff cover and checking all the teeth on your R&P gear. And then if that is OK I'd drop your t-case and have a look inside it too.

does kinda sound like it a turning part making contact somewhere and does seem to time with the shaft revolutions.
the noise seems to peak when the bottom end of the shaft and the dif go overhead.

shafts new...... whens the last time you peeked into that diff?

or 1 and 3 are the power gears and might put the most torque into the drive sys and a sloppy mount is letting something torque to far?
or the TC end joint appears dead center of the tunnel but the diff is favoring 1 side more. are we inline?
I was in the diff yesterday. I rotated the ring and pinion and looked at all the teeth. Perfect. Nothing in the fluid.

Axle is centered (within 1/4”).
Damn I wish you were closer. I'm not sure what it is but I'd be pulling your diff cover and checking all the teeth on your R&P gear. And then if that is OK I'd drop your t-case and have a look inside it too.
TCase is an option, I guess. 4H and 4L are fine. Don’t forget I have the Tera-Low 4:1. It sounds absolutely normal in 4H and 4L. I’ll run some more tests tomorrow if I have time. I have to work all day.

Reactions: someguysjeep
I was in the diff yesterday. I rotated the ring and pinion and looked at all the teeth. Perfect. Nothing in the fluid.

Axle is centered (within 1/4”).
TCase is an option, I guess. 4H and 4L are fine. Don’t forget I have the Tera-Low 4:1. It sounds absolutely normal in 4H and 4L. I’ll run some more tests tomorrow if I have time. I have to work all day.

Man it sounds like a broken tooth problem but I really can't see the t-case sounding like that. Now noise travels in our rigs and it makes it really hard to track down. When was the last time your front diff was opened?

Man it sounds like a broken tooth problem but I really can't see the t-case sounding like that. Now noise travels in our rigs and it makes it really hard to track down. When was the last time your front diff was opened?
Oct 6, 2020, which was 10,000 miles ago, so I’m due in about 3,000 miles. Sound clearly coming from rear though. When I remove rear DS everything is normal

Oct 6, 2020, which was 10,000 miles ago, so I’m due in about 3,000 miles. Sound clearly coming from rear though. When I remove rear DS everything is normal

DANG NAB....

I don't know what to tell ya. I don't see how it could go away in 4WD either mode but it's there in 2WD until you've removed the driveshaft. Like I said these noises can be a PITA to track down. Wish I could help more.

Reactions: JMT
the under shot seems it could be a shear clicking while the drive by is more vague but definitely a rotational event.

Jeremy have you tried engaging your locker while it’s happening to see if it effects it?
Yes. I went off-road about 5 days ago, right after I got the driveshaft back from Adams, and it worked fine. When I checked the gears over I looked as best I could in the locker itself and the teeth looked good there too. Of course, there was no metal in the oil, so I didn’t expect to find any broken teeth. Thanks for suggestions.

I rotated the shaft by hand and watched for any contact. I can't find any, and there are no marks on any metal parts that show contact. The pinion and flange nuts are good.

What do you think about pinion bearing or axle bearings being the source? Which of those could evince a problem under torque?

EDIT: I have an email out to Adams DS with the videos to see if they have seen something like this before.

Reactions: Wildman
What do you think about pinion bearing or axle bearings being the source? Which of those could evince a problem under torque?
thats what my next comment was about being under it and givin it a bit of a power brake. if you do have a sloppy pinion bearing everything being lined tight up might not be allowing wiggle, but the load might force enough torque to for it to reveal.

thought you said you can not duplicate it while on stands or with no rear shaft in, so it may have to happen loaded with a torque stress on something. F and R should show it fairly quick if it's there i might think.

Reactions: Wildman and JMT
thats what my next comment was about being under it and givin it a bit of a power brake. if you do have a sloppy pinion bearing everything being lined tight up might not be allowing wiggle, but the load might force enough torque to for it to reveal.

thought you said you can not duplicate it while on stands or with no rear shaft in, so it may have to happen loaded with a torque stress on something. F and R should show it fairly quick if it's there i might think.
Ok, I just need to get the GoPro mounted under there somewhere, maybe on the inside of a frame rail. The GoPro's have a good wide lens so it could hopefully capture that whole area. If I can't figure it out, there's a guy about an hour and a half away who is willing to put it on his stand and start taking a look. Like most people, his initial thought was pinion angle. I don't see how that could be it. They're only 1.4* different. I can go to the trouble of bringing the shaft up 0.4*, but that's rather insignificant. If I'm off my rocker, let me know.

Also, I agree that the sound seems at it's peak right as the pinion end of the shaft goes over the phone in that video. I really hope it's not a pinion bearing because I have no idea how to fix that. The pinion seal is not leaking.

Last edited:
The pinion seal is not leaking.
that's a positive sign it's not in there, we are kinda just bouncin ideas as it's all just a guess until we find a witness to follow.

maybe take the pinion angle to the .08" difference see if anything changes, always try the free stuff 1st.

Reactions: JMT
that's a positive sign it's not in there, we are kinda just bouncin ideas as it's all just a guess until we find a witness to follow.

maybe take the pinion angle to the .08" difference see if anything changes, always try the free stuff 1st.
okay, I'll change the pinion angle. In the meanwhile, I have a video uploading from my GoPro, and I learned some stuff by watching it. I still don't know the problem though. I hope someone else has some suggestions. I just want to narrow things down as much as possible before tearing things apart.

It is knocking in 4H now, so either it's getting worse and just now showing up in 4H, or for some reason I couldn't get it to do it in 4H before. The knocks are definitely increasing in speed as I run through the gears, so it must be related to the driveline.

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman
The video on icloud wouldn't play on my phone. Hard to diagnose over that short clip. Since it only happens under load, it's gotta be something moving.

Can you put it on Jack stands and use the brake to get enough load on the driveline to make it happen?