Should I weld outside or inside?
inside has less chance of an odd breeze gassin your welds. but you can set up blocks or barriers to keep the wind off ya most of the time.

flux wire don't care about wind, just solid , but you can cheat too and jack up the gas pressure. i don't do it often cause i gotta buy the gas at home but guys at work stand and weld in a wind tunnel of fans with the gas cranked.

and welding has fumes you don't wanna intentionally be suckin in, you should always have a fan in the backround blowin just enough to take the smoke away, but strategically pointed not to blow directly onto your weld area.

Driveshaft is on the way home! Steve at Adams went through it. Found the u joint at the pinion was toast. Said he did not know why since the pinion angle looked good. He balanced it and made it all perfect again. I tried to pay and he said, “no way, Merry Christmas!” 😀

Can’t wait to drive my Jeep!

This was my first project with the welder...I put one of those certi-flat DIY table tops on it. Used some 1.5" tubing that was laying around at work. The tool box was hanging around, not being used, it will hold two bottles of gas (TIG and MIG) and has room for a plasma.

20190204_193945.jpg

20190226_183302.jpg

This was my first project with the welder...I put one of those certi-flat DIY table tops on it. Used some 1.5" tubing that was laying around at work. The tool box was hanging around, not being used, it will hold two bottles of gas (TIG and MIG) and has room for a plasma.

View attachment 293872
View attachment 293873
Very nice! Very cool project! Looks perfect and fully custom. @Wildman encouraged me to make my first project a cart. He sent me a couple of plans.

Reactions: Alex01 and Wildman

View attachment 293872
View attachment 293873
Crap, now you're just reminding me I need to actually do a project. Four years ago a buddy gave me ten 10' 2x2 pieces of steel. It was always my intent to use that to build a welding table and work bench. Needless to say the steel is still in a non-table form! :(

• Haha
Reactions: Mike_H and Wildman
Crap, now you're just reminding me I need to actually do a project. Four years ago a buddy gave me ten 10' 2x2 pieces of steel. It was always my intent to use that to build a welding table and work bench. Needless to say the steel is still in a non-table form! :(
Holy cow - today that‘s about a hundred grand worth of steel!

• Haha
Reactions: Irun and Wildman
Ah, I've never found that to be a problem.

I would suggest however, that those thin TIG welding gloves may not provide as much heat protection as you might need for wire feed welding.
Hey, welcome to the forum. Haven‘t run into you till now. Nice to meet a fellow Texan. I no longer live there, so what I tell folks is, “I live in Washington, I’m from Texas.” 45 years a Texan, 2 years in Washington. It is beautiful up here, but the politics are crap.

I wish I had done that for a first project. You'll get this figured out. You have a ton of help here.

Totally have a ton of help. I really appreciate everyone. If we all lived in the same town we’d get everything done and nothing done all at the same time. Forum would still exist. Many members would spend all day typing posts to help the guy four blocks away. The rest would be in a garage somewhere, often together with 20 guys standing around watching one guy gittr’ done. One nice thing would be the 20 guys would all be handing the one guy the right wrench when needed. Someone would always be setting up gears and we’d all learn how. The rigs would be insane. There wouldn’t be any paved roads, and lots of rocks would be hauled in to make sure driving somewhere was interesting. Personalities would clash, but not as often, and MC would get a pass most of the time. Rough Country would never get a pass even for the new guy in town. The guy in the brown truck would be the wealthiest UPS guy in America and he’d have three or four rigs himself. The Fed Ex guys wouldn’t be permitted to enter the county. There’s a lot more to the story, but I never intended this post to go the direction it went…

inside has less chance of an odd breeze gassin your welds. but you can set up blocks or barriers to keep the wind off ya most of the time.

flux wire don't care about wind, just solid , but you can cheat too and jack up the gas pressure. i don't do it often cause i gotta buy the gas at home but guys at work stand and weld in a wind tunnel of fans with the gas cranked.

and welding has fumes you don't wanna intentionally be suckin in, you should always have a fan in the backround blowin just enough to take the smoke away, but strategically pointed not to blow directly onto your weld area.
We’re very fortunate that its not windy where I live near the river. It might be a good idea to weld outside. This time of year it’s cold, of course, but most of the year it would keep me away from fumes. Thanks for the great help.

Reactions: Wildman
Hey, welcome to the forum. Haven‘t run into you till now. Nice to meet a fellow Texan. I no longer live there, so what I tell folks is, “I live in Washington, I’m from Texas.” 45 years a Texan, 2 years in Washington. It is beautiful up here, but the politics are crap.
Thanks! Nice to meet you too. Relatively new to Jeeping, I'm here to learn as much as I can. Never spent much time in Washington but I was stationed in California twice and that was basically my take: "It is beautiful but the politics are crap."

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman and JMT
Thanks! Nice to meet you too. Relatively new to Jeeping, I'm here to learn as much as I can. Never spent much time in Washington but I was stationed in California twice and that was basically my take: "It is beautiful but the politics are crap."
Van Alstyne. That’s one I had to look up! Turns out it’s not far from where I grew up in Paris. I used to drive through Melissa when I had to drive into the northern Metroplex.

FYI. I believe there is an off-road park called Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area in Gilmer, TX. I never went there bc I was surrounded by good off-road areas in Fredericksburg, but it might be a fun trip if you haven’t already been. In the Hill Country there’s Hidden Falls, Wolf Caves and other lesser known places to go

Van Alstyne. That’s one I had to look up! Turns out it’s not far from where I grew up in Paris. I used to drive through Melissa when I had to drive into the northern Metroplex.

FYI. I believe there is an off-road park called Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area in Gilmer, TX. I never went there bc I was surrounded by good off-road areas in Fredericksburg, but it might be a fun trip if you haven’t already been. In the Hill Country there’s Hidden Falls, Wolf Caves and other lesser known places to go
I appreciate the advice. Haven't been on any real trails yet but from what I can tell, Barnwell Mountain may be a good place to start. Do they have bunny slopes for newbies?