J - i have figured out your future 'secret' upgrade.... we know you are considering and researching a TT.
The secret upgrade you are considering is ................... a Currie.antirock .
Would I be correct ? :)

J - i have figured out your future 'secret' upgrade.... we know you are considering and researching a TT.
The secret upgrade you are considering is ................... a Currie.antirock .
Would I be correct ? :)
I thought about that, but negative!

It’s burning up here in central TX, so I finally took the TJ to the mechanic to get the AC fixed. We’re both pretty confident it’s the compressor, since you can see compressor oil has leaked. That’s going to cost an arm and a leg.

While I’m fixing things, might as well get a new lower shifter boot. Mines torn and the heat is pouring in the cab to the point it’s extremely uncomfortable. While I’m fixing that I’m also going to add some heat shield to the transmission tunnel and console area.

That should do it for cooling things down!

Reactions: KCsTJ
@JMT , darn was hoping it was just a couple o rings in the a/c line.
I've seen a post on cheap? heat shield that is sold at H.Depot. I'm looking into that this week, my 1st summer with my 1st jeep, that tunnel does get warm

Reactions: JMT
@JMT , darn was hoping it was just a couple o rings in the a/c line.
I've seen a post on cheap? heat shield that is sold at H.Depot. I'm looking into that this week, my 1st summer with my 1st jeep, that tunnel does get warm
Peel & Seal is sold at Lowe's, and probably at Home Depot. Aluminized tar patch-type seal. I've used it extensively, and am very pleased with the results. It acts as a heat shield, and a sound deadener, as well.
77931094-7cf9-48b4-ab8e-4e231a9f48b1_1.db4d60c8b774f588133df2eb43c0f252.jpg

@Squatch where do you think is the best place to apply the Peel n Seal?

Over the top of the tunnel, (inside the tub), under the carpet, or
Underneath, under the tub, which would require the tranny be removed for access, thoughts?

@Squatch where do you think is the best place to apply the Peel n Seal?

Over the top of the tunnel, (inside the tub), under the carpet, or
Underneath, under the tub, which would require the tranny be removed for access, thoughts?
I have always applied mine inside, under the carpet. If heat is a real issue, you can even double-up the layers, if you like. Adhesion is better when applied warm (In your area, that likely won't be a problem). I applied mine with a heat gun on a low setting. Not necessary, perhaps, but I was installing on the inside of a roof, and wanted to be sure it stayed up there. It did!

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and KCsTJ
AC fixed, 30.5* at the vents. Wow, AC be good here in TX!

Lower shifter boot also came in. Hopefully I’ll get to install it this weekend, but I’m going to fab a small bracket up so I can move the console back 1”. It’s an 05. The 05-06 has a different front console that makes it much more difficult to move. I’ve been meaning to do it to get a little more room for the shifter in 2 and R, so now it’s time.

Now I'm pissed! My AC is blowing hot air. The compressor was replaced last week because the mechanic said, "That's got to be it." I even suggested, let's run some more dye through it just to make sure. But because there was some leakage of compressor oil collecting dust on the compressor, that had to be it. So I spent $591 getting it fixed. he tested it for 20 minutes to see if there were any leaks and it was tight. Now I have next to no Freon and WTH. I'm pissed. I've got five kids and a wife to house and clothe and feed and no AC. I don't' have $600 to throw away. And it's hot outside and I'm sick and tired of this bull. Now I'm stuck looking at the Evaporator. Any help here would be very nice!

Now I'm pissed! My AC is blowing hot air. The compressor was replaced last week because the mechanic said, "That's got to be it." I even suggested, let's run some more dye through it just to make sure. But because there was some leakage of compressor oil collecting dust on the compressor, that had to be it. So I spent $591 getting it fixed. he tested it for 20 minutes to see if there were any leaks and it was tight. Now I have next to no Freon and WTH. I'm pissed. I've got five kids and a wife to house and clothe and feed and no AC. I don't' have $600 to throw away. And it's hot outside and I'm sick and tired of this bull. Now I'm stuck looking at the Evaporator. Any help here would be very nice!
Is it still leaking after the compressor was replaced?

Feel your pain brah! That's a pretty fast leak if you lost all the freon in a week. Did the guy use the special light to detect the dye? Sadly, mine is leaking from the evaporator, which you know, you can't detect very easily. I can go about a month before losing all my freon. I'd make him make it right and continue looking for the leak. Make sure the shrader valves aren't leaking. Can be tough to tell because the freon dye gets all over the valves.

Reactions: KCsTJ and b0xcar
...was, rather.
He said he put it on the vacuum and it held for 20 minutes. I paid $600 for three or four days of AC. Most expensive air ever.

It’s around a grand for him to do the evap. I’ll move to Colorado before I pay a grand for it. Looks like I’ll be having the system evacuated and install the evap myself, take it back and have it recharged.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
@JMT - did they replace the o rings at the connection in the line where it was leaking ??

@JMT - did they replace the o rings at the connection in the line where it was leaking ??
Yep, replaced the compressor, all O-Rings, and the canister and all O Rings there. I have a lifetime warranty on parts and labor for all that, but nothing on the evap, and no money for that either. I need axle

This kind of stuff is why I always just try to do it myself. You can’t get anyone to do anything right anymore. You pay gobs of money for a crappy job. I’m sick and tired of it. The problem is there’s not enough time to learn to do everything. Now I’m stuck for probably a year or more without AC. Anyone want to buy this thing and save my sanity?

At that price I would be tempted to pull one from a junk yard JMT
.. Did I read that right, $1000?
I'm not much of a/c guy but isn't that rare, evaporators don't usually go bad, no moving parts I'm aware of

This kind of stuff is why I always just try to do it myself. You can’t get anyone to do anything right anymore. You pay gobs of money for a crappy job. I’m sick and tired of it. The problem is there’s not enough time to learn to do everything. Now I’m stuck for probably a year or more without AC. Anyone want to buy this thing and save my sanity?
perk... ;-) j/k u better watch what you say young man... :)

Reactions: JMT
The Mopar part is $308, plus his labor getting behind the dash. He said it would be a grand bc of having to tear that dash out. If I even suggest that I’ll do this or that part of the work he just says “Jeremy, this isn’t a hobby shop.” Oh yeah, well, it sure seems like a hobby for him. maybe he should eat his own words