Update, the company is Richmond Gear. The tech is sending the tiny .810 spring out today, scheduled for delivery tomorrow. At least that’s what he said. We’ll see. I hope it’s AM so I can plug it in, test, RTV the diff, put in the gear oil, plug it up and drive an hour plus to wheel by 12:30pm. Yes, take a deep breath.

Reactions: derekmac
Update, the company is Richmond Gear. The tech is sending the tiny .810 spring out today, scheduled for delivery tomorrow. At least that’s what he said. We’ll see. I hope it’s AM so I can plug it in, test, RTV the diff, put in the gear oil, plug it up and drive an hour plus to wheel by 12:30pm. Yes, take a deep breath.
Dont worry... Everything is going to work out. I know it sucks but you will be happy in the end.

Reactions: JMT
yeah that would piss me off too. Sorry for that. QC has gone to shit lately. In a different thread @derekmac bought a JKS track bar that was missing the bushing completely. At least they jumped on it for you, as well they should, but it sucks when you get excited to finally get going on a project and the QC sucked.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Dont worry... Everything is going to work out. I know it sucks but you will be happy in the end.
Yeah, this will work out. I decided yesterday that no matter how this went, I was just going to chill. I did call the guy back and ask if I could go ahead and check if it’s working or not without the spring with tires off the ground. He said, yeah, it won’t hurt anything. You need two people to do the check, so when my wife gets home I’ll check it. If all is good, I’ve already put everything back together, disc brakes, axles, tie rod, wheels. So then all I’ll have to do is put the spring in, make the RTV gasket, close it up, add the fluid and hit the road. Should’nt take more than 20 minutes. It just depends on what time it gets here, of course.

yeah that would piss me off too. Sorry for that. QC has gone to shit lately. In a different thread @derekmac bought a JKS track bar that was missing the bushing completely. At least they jumped on it for you, as well they should, but it sucks when you get excited to finally get going on a project and the QC sucked.
Yeah, I saw that @derekmac, trackbar. JKS makes one of the best trackbar in the business, too. No bushing. How could you miss that?

Yeah, I was all game for a wheelin’ trip tomorrow with @b0xcar, but it’s sort of on hold till we know what time this part comes in. It sort of stinks because my boys are out of town and my sister in law is in town and it’s her, my wife, a bunch of girls and babies. So I had the garage time planned and a wheelin’ trip just to save my sanity. Oh well, if I have to hang out with babies tomorrow, I guess I can laugh at them a little.

20180921_134432.jpg

Found a spare inside my pen that I keep in my pocket. Can we get this one to work?

View attachment 56187

Found a spare inside my pen that I keep in my pocket. Can we get this one to work?
Yeah, don't you know how to improvise @JMT ...lol..
I'm sorry, couldn't resist.
I hope they deliver the right spring pronto, you are more patient than i.
Can't wait to see how it performs. Your detailed pics and install commentary makes me want to get a front locker. :)

Reactions: JMT
I bet Macgyver could! I think I seen him use one of those to defuse a bomb once!
MacGyver could fix anything with anything. I think that was a total guy show

Reactions: ac_
Hey @ac_, remember the other recent QC issue, you’re tires. They said they had no idea where your tires were! WTH?

Hey @ac_, remember the other recent QC issue, you’re tires. They said they had no idea where your tires were! WTH?
Yeah that was a mess. But I will say in the end the road force balance was awesome.

Check this. They tape weighted the wheels. and two of wheels got a quarter ounce. and two the the wheels got a half ounce and one tire got about 4 oz. I made that my spare, but do you think there was something wrong with the tire or the rim? How do you balance tires so good but then you are OK with one that needs so much weight? I am fine with it because I can run it as a spare, but I would have been a little more shook had they sent me two tires like that.

I ended up finding a performance shop here in Tempe that does road force balance only and they are not cheap nor do they give any discounts so if you want it you pay for it, but they seem legit from what I understand. When I need new tires, I am just going to bite the bullet and go to them from now on.

As far as tire rack. I would still use them if I buy wheels and tires, but the only reason why I was so pissed about their losing my shipping was I took a day off work to get them because they told me the day they were going to get delivered. I couldn't take any time off of the following week and they wouldn't deal, but some how they worked a deal with the shipping company who did find my tires and had them shipped on the weekend.

It really wasn't Tire Racks fault other than they chose to use a flighty shipping company.

I would say worse was the crappy powder coat of my Warn stubby winch bumper. That they should have caught, in my opinion.

Yeah that was a mess. But I will say in the end the road force balance was awesome.

Check this. They tape weighted the wheels. and two of wheels got a quarter ounce. and two the the wheels got a half ounce and one tire got about 4 oz. I made that my spare, but do you think there was something wrong with the tire or the rim? How do you balance tires so good but then you are OK with one that needs so much weight? I am fine with it because I can run it as a spare, but I would have been a little more shook had they sent me two tires like that.

I ended up finding a performance shop here in Tempe that does road force balance only and they are not cheap nor do they give any discounts so if you want it you pay for it, but they seem legit from what I understand. When I need new tires, I am just going to bite the bullet and go to them from now on.

As far as tire rack. I would still use them if I buy wheels and tires, but the only reason why I was so pissed about their losing my shipping was I took a day off work to get them because they told me the day they were going to get delivered. I couldn't take any time off of the following week and they wouldn't deal, but some how they worked a deal with the shipping company who did find my tires and had them shipped on the weekend.

It really wasn't Tire Racks fault other than they chose to use a flighty shipping company.

I would say worse was the crappy powder coat of my Warn stubby winch bumper. That they should have caught, in my opinion.
What did you do with that bumper? Did you repaint it or live with it?

One of the good things that came out of my fiasco today, was I repainted my Dana 30 cover, tie rod, tie rod couplers, and drag link. I also took a few minutes to wash the back side of my front wheels. Anyway, it looks better.

I spent 4 days stripping it with airplane stripper and then I prepped and primerred it and panted it is with Rustoleum Hammered black. It actually came out nicer than the powder coat in my opinion, but it ended up costing me an extra 150 bucks to get it that way. In the end it is unique and pretty cool so it is OK, but it was 4 days of hard labor haha.

Reactions: KCsTJ and JMT
I spent 4 days stripping it with airplane stripper and then I prepped and primerred it and panted it is with Rustoleum Hammered black. It actually came out nicer than the powder coat in my opinion, but it ended up costing me an extra 150 bucks to get it that way. In the end it is unique and pretty cool so it is OK, but it was 4 days of hard labor haha.

Good times brah!