2003-2006 42RLE transmission shift interlock fix

Sure. And it's cheap too! Not as cheap as a chopstick, but $20 isn't bad. Here is the link. I don't know if the link is working, but there is also a picture of it below too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLFY93I/?tag=wranglerorg-20
1645557994099.png

Reactions: buildbigboats
I found this cheap fix on another forum years ago. I hope someone here will find it useful.

One day, while wheeling in the dunes, I could not get my 04 TJ out of park. Pressing the button on the shifter did nothing. I ended up removing the shift indicator cover (PRND21) and manually pressing down on the shift interlock tab to get it into drive enabling me to get home.
Then, the internet search was on! I found out that this is a very common problem with the 42rle transmission shifter. Some have had the problem while in drive, not being able to shift the Jeep into park and remove the keys. Also, when this happens, you can not shift the Jeep into low gear as well.

What happens is the white plastic rod inside the shifter breaks. The two broken ends then pass each other, not allowing your shift button to press the interlock far enough to engage. Many non mechanical owners have found themselves stranded, and/or having to leave their key in the Jeep because they can't shift into park.
Pull hard on the T shift handle. It will pop off. You will see a white plastic rod inside the shifter. If you can pull it out, it is broken and you have identified your problem.

Easy fix right? Yes and no. The dealer will try and sell you the whole shift assembly, which requires removing the center console to gain access. Then, you replace the same faulty part with another identical faulty part. The broken rod is not replaceable. It is a permanent part of the entire shift assembly requiring a complete new assembly to replace just the rod.

Better fix: Cheap and easy. Simply make your own replacement piece out of a chopstick (yes, Chinese food), or a piece of plastic coat hanger. Cut it about 1/8" longer than the broken piece you pull out. Massage one end to fit back inside the shift handle. Put it back together and you are done! The larger diameter of the chopstick, or coat hanger, will not pass the broken piece way down inside the shifter, and you interlock will function again.
5 minute fix.
My chopstick has been going strong for ten years, with no signs of failure.

This is my spare along with the broken plastic rod out of my shifter.
View attachment 40490
Thanks. I just did this fix, but, used a 6.5mm aluminum rod. I cut it to the exact length of the plastic piece that broke off inside the shifter. WORKED PERFECTLY!! Just saved myself $500(assembly+labor) by doing it myself. It was extremely easy!

Reactions: 06lj
My shifter started sticking in and out of park this week. Pulled the handle and sure enough the plastic is broken. I took calipers to all of my plastic clothes hangers and found one under 7mm, cut it to length and hit the end with the dremel to sand it down a little to slide in the handle. Put it all back together and I could cycle through all of the gears without pushing the button, trimmed it a little shorter and it’s working great. Cut and sanded a second and dropped it in the console. Thanks guys.

My shifter started sticking in and out of park this week. Pulled the handle and sure enough the plastic is broken. I took calipers to all of my plastic clothes hangers and found one under 7mm, cut it to length and hit the end with the dremel to sand it down a little to slide in the handle. Put it all back together and I could cycle through all of the gears without pushing the button, trimmed it a little shorter and it’s working great. Cut and sanded a second and dropped it in the console. Thanks guys.

Nice fix. Hadn't thought of plastic hanger rod.
So...a bit less than 7mm dia. What was the final length so we can make up spare for the glove box?

Nice fix. Hadn't thought of plastic hanger rod.
So...a bit less than 7mm dia. What was the final length so we can make up spare for the glove box?

Looks like my hanger was oval instead
of round, the wide side was right at 7mm. The smaller side closer to 6mm. I sanded the wide side down to 6.3mm. My total length was 120mm.

0855592A-1A1F-4EF6-868D-947778B8D36D.jpeg

A7E3BB45-8DA0-4D74-9388-574FEE4124FE.jpeg

8B4E7DB5-7BD3-4425-B0E7-21A4A9479D4D.jpeg

Reactions: buildbigboats
Looks like my hanger was oval instead
of round, the wide side was right at 7mm. The smaller side closer to 6mm. I sanded the wide side down to 6.3mm. My total length was 120mm.

View attachment 408665

View attachment 408666

View attachment 408667

I did the same thing on mine. Used a plastic hanger. I think the diameter of mine was a bit big, so I just shaved down the end of it to fit. That was about 5 years ago, never thought about it again.

This happened to us while on a jeep ride in the desert. We were able to pull cover and manually get out of park to get home. Found this info on the forum and my husband and I used a chop stick to repair. Works like a charm. We now have several chop sticks in the glove box in case any other club members have the same issue in the future!

IMO it is such a flawed design that it isn't worth a penny.

I guess we'll have to keep using chopsticks and hangers!

Thanks for letting us know. Was thinking about buying the Dorman as a backup.

Maybe this isn’t my problem. Just picked up an 04 TJ with an automatic for my soon to be 16 year old daughter. Everything shifts fine, BUT the shift lever BARELY goes into 2nd and won’t go all the way to 1st. Everything else works fine from park to drive and back. When driving everything is fine. So, I have to believe the “shifter park release link” is the problem. If it is, I would really like to get the lower broken part out, but cannot find anywhere in the web on how to do that. Glad my TJ is a manual!! Thank you all in advance.