31's or 33's

haha around the corner! Is Bent Currie Club you? I might take you up on a meet up some time soon. Buy you a coffee to pick your brain
I’ve bent my Currie a few times (but never as bad as @tworley ’s recent incident), but it’s a good number of us locally. DM me whenever, I’m always up to meet new people and talk jeeps, in no particular order.

I finally added my front plate back so I stop getting ticketed in Denver 🤣

Following along as I'm in the same place. 31s, 2.5" SL, but also have 1"BL & TT. Super capable thus far, but considering lockers so, if ever a regear made sense, that would be the time.

Reactions: RINC
I'm on front range, Arvada. Just saw @rasband is pretty close!
I'm down in East Morrison. I bent my currie on Sidewinder a few weeks ago.

image000002(3).jpg

If I was still running a Dana 35, I'd be looking at the super35. Locker, chromoly shafts, smaller pumpkin and maybe even a tad stronger housing. As far as I am aware, no documented failures. Join us for random nonsense
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/jibber-jabber.18137/

• Wow
Reactions: Irun and rasband
@JMT I've always liked your setup. I am a person that hates body lift but understands the nessesity, as I have one waiting to go on. I wanted an aluminum body lift but wanted it to be as minimal as possible. Since I'm doing a mml I went with a 1" aluminum body lift from rokmen. While I know a quater inch isnt alot (savvy 1.25" BL) I perfer to keep it as little as i can while acomplishing the goals set. Plus the rokmen is roughly $50 cheaper than savvy with black anodized aluminum pucks.
https://www.rokmen.com/rokmen-1-body-lift.html
As a side note I'm slightly intoxicated so any misspellings or other negative things about this post should be called out haha

• Haha
Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
@JMT I've always liked your setup. I am a person that hates body lift but understands the nessesity, as I have one waiting to go on. I wanted an aluminum body lift but wanted it to be as minimal as possible. Since I'm doing a mml I went with a 1" aluminum body lift from rokmen. While I know a quater inch isnt alot (savvy 1.25" BL) I perfer to keep it as little as i can while acomplishing the goals set. Plus the rokmen is roughly $50 cheaper than savvy with black anodized aluminum pucks.
https://www.rokmen.com/rokmen-1-body-lift.html
As a side note I'm slightly intoxicated so any misspellings or other negative things about this post should be called out haha
You can eliminate most of the negatives of the body lift with some work. The six pucks on the sides can be replaced with raised body mounts and you can do a frame tuck on the rear. Still, a 1” BL isn’t much and it gives you so many advantages the pros outweighs the cons. You can also modify the tub for a full TT later on if you want, or just do a partial tuck. I look forward to seeing it.

Oh, I observed no misspellings or incoherence in your post, so good job! 😉😁

Thanks for bringing this thread from the past, I enjoyed reading it.

Now days not uncommon to see talks about 40s, and 35s seems like became a norm at this point. Here people are hesitant to switch from 31 to 33.

I am at the moment riding out my last set of 31s and switching to 33. On 31s Jeep will go far and beyond, but that far and beyond is steadily getting shorter and shorter.
Many trails in southern states are becoming unpassable for me, people with large tires destroy them to the point of where I get hung up on axles.

Now I don't go out when it rains unless I am with someone. Too many instances of "ohh look, a tiny puddle"... Bloop, swallows half the Jeep.
Doubt that 33s will save me, but, ehh will give them a try.

Reactions: Irun and JMT
Not necessary but more torque on a dana 35 increases chances of breaking. If I'm going to regear and ad lockers might as well beef up to a dana 44 or 8.8
Dana 35 and 44 share same housing
Dana 35 smaller pumpkin offers better clearance
Dana 35 smaller ring and pinion is not an issue
Dana 35 axle shafts are a weak point that gets replaced in S35 conversion

8.8 - no, not worth your sanity.
It was a misunderstood solution for a misunderstood problem, that pretty much turned into replacing a problem with a problem.

Downside of upgrading Dana 35 is its price. Parts and regear job will land you $1000 shy of purchasing a complete axle, to your spec, from somewhere like ECGS. Today you may feel good abut saving a grand, in few month you may wonder why didn't you do it.
If you are planning to get Dana 44 from ebay/craigs/fb - i hope you are able to inspect them well.

Reactions: JMT
On 31s Jeep will go far and beyond, but that far and beyond is steadily getting shorter and shorter.
Many trails in southern states are becoming unpassable for me, people with large tires destroy them to the point of where I get hung up on axles.

Now I don't go out when it rains unless I am with someone. Too many instances of "ohh look, a tiny puddle"... Bloop, swallows half the Jeep.
Doubt that 33s will save me, but, ehh will give them a try.
With good spotting, armor, and a willingness to drag stuff, you can wheel a Jeep on 31" tires in the rocks and have lots of fun. However, for us East Coasters, deep ruts are a reality where we wheel. Unfortunately, thanks to the 35" or 37" tires most JKs and JLs sport, even a 33" tire isn't going to make a measurable difference for our TJs in those places they've rutted out. Thankfully, parks like AOAA and Rausch offer enough versatility where you can still wheel on 31" or 33" tires and not have to worry about the rut problem.

With good spotting, armor, and a willingness to drag stuff, you can wheel a Jeep on 31" tires in the rocks and have lots of fun. However, for us East Coasters, deep ruts are a reality where we wheel. Unfortunately, thanks to the 35" or 37" tires most JKs and JLs sport, even a 33" tire isn't going to make a measurable difference for our TJs in those places they've rutted out. Thankfully, parks like AOAA and Rausch offer enough versatility where you can still wheel on 31" or 33" tires and not have to worry about the rut problem.
Spot on.
Thank you for listing those parks, I visit DC area few times a year and typically satisfy offroading crave while passing through Tennessee. This time I'm gonna hold on and visit AOAA and Rausch

Last edited:
Reactions: Irun
Dana 35 and 44 share same housing
Dana 35 smaller pumpkin offers better clearance
Dana 35 smaller ring and pinion is not an issue
Dana 35 axle shafts are a weak point that gets replaced in S35 conversion

8.8 - no, not worth your sanity.
It was a misunderstood solution for a misunderstood problem, that pretty much turned into replacing a problem with a problem.

Downside of upgrading Dana 35 is its price. Parts and regear job will land you $1000 shy of purchasing a complete axle, to your spec, from somewhere like ECGS. Today you may feel good abut saving a grand, in few month you may wonder why didn't you do it.
If you are planning to get Dana 44 from ebay/craigs/fb - i hope you are able to inspect them well.
Thats great info! Spent last night looking at the super 35s. Wont say price isn't an issue but learned a long time ago to do things right the first time. If that's a better solution I'd rather do it right once

@glwood and @Ryan Thomas . There are trails around here that could use 33's. You don't have to take them. My wife loves bigger tires. She says do it. She even said 43"s on one TJ were not too big. I know she doesn't understand all that would be involved to go 35" or bigger, so 33's would be it for me. But I was just wondering how you guys with 33's felt, bc some implied you didn't like them and some (@Nashorn101) are trying to go back down to 31's and I'm right at that decision point. Appreciate the feedback...
I went from 31s to 33s and never regretted it for a second.

Reactions: JMT
Following along as I'm in the same place. 31s, 2.5" SL, but also have 1"BL & TT. Super capable thus far, but considering lockers so, if ever a regear made sense, that would be the time.
Sorry if you already mentioned it, but what kind of SYE do you have?