32RH transmission rebuild

I've thought about what it might take to build a catch can into the hose, just to see how much fluid gets pushed up the hose under normal operation. I'll probably never do it, but I've thought about it. I've also thought about what decision making process led to everything else getting a vent hose but the 32RH didn't.
The nv3550 doesn't have a vent hose either.

• Wow
Reactions: Vtx531
The nv3550 doesn't have a vent hose either.
I meant that the transfer case & both diffs have vent hoses, not attempting to list all the trannys that did or didn't have them. Just seems odd that those other components have them but the trans didn't in some cases. Like what was the logic there?

Reactions: Wildman and Mike_H
I meant that the transfer case & both diffs have vent hoses, not attempting to list all the trannys that did or didn't have them. Just seems odd that those other components have them but the trans didn't in some cases. Like what was the logic there?
Gotcha. Yeah, I thought that was odd too

LMAO!! You expect the engineers to use logic?

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman

Found some mud in the filter

IMG-20220227-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20220227-WA0006.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: OFF2BFE and Wildman
One thing I had on my todo list during the operation (but forgot to actually do and it cost me big time) was to inspect all the wiring in the underbody harness. I intended that to mean just looking at the connectors and stuff because I knew I had some exposed wires in some of the connectors. But in hindsight I might upgrade that item to something more like "replace wire loom, inspect wiring top to bottom, re-tape & re-loom the entire thing" since that's what I ended up doing. Having said that, it might still be easier to do all that by pulling the harness up into the engine bay, but it will be easier with the transmission out regardless of which way it's done.

Most people will probably skip all that, but I found a ton of shredded wires in mine and had to replace every connector. It's worth at least investigating. It's all 20-25 yrs old, and in an area of fairly high heat. Odds are it has degraded since it rolled off the assembly line.

Reactions: Wildman and U8MYDZT
Let the journey begin! She is out and ready for an operation

Good for you!
Due to this thread, I had to buy yet another thing, I bought the Tom Hand book. I've read some of it and skimmed the entire thing. Very clear and concise and pics are great. If you haven't purchased it, I'd recommend it.

I'm following, as mine will be done in the next few months.

Edited to add: I'd be interested to know where you source your rebuild kit and what brands you use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman and U8MYDZT
Good for you!
Due to this thread, I had to buy yet another thing, I bought the Tom Hand book. I've read some of it and skimmed the entire thing. Very clear and concise and pics are great. If you haven't purchased it, I'd recommend it.

I'm following, as mine will be done in the next few months.

Edited to add: I'd be interested to know where you source your rebuild kit and what brands you use.
I got the rebuild kit from Oregon Performance Transmission, Kit # OPT-A904-RBHP "A904 HP Rebuild Kit A998 A999 Master Banner Overhaul Automatic Transmission Dodge Chrysler Jeep".
https://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/product/OPT-A904-RBHP.htmlThis HP transmission overhaul kit comes with the following rebuild parts:

• Raybestos HP Red friction clutch plates
  • Alto black Kolene steel plates
  • Kevlar intermediate kickdown band
  • Internal fluid filter
  • Pump bushing
  • Output shaft bushing
  • All rubber clutch piston seals
  • All paper gaskets
  • All O-rings
  • All metal clad seals
  • Teflon and steel sealing rings
I also got the Transgo TF-2 shift kit. And I am trying to source a torque converter from Pro-King CR69 with a 2300-2600 stall (this torque converter has an offset bolt pattern so one of the flex-plate bolt holes needs to be elongated slightly to work. Not a big deal as I have already modified mine for this TC.) Pro-King CR90 is a direct replacement.

Oregon Performance Transmission was about the only place I could find the pump gasket. I'm super excited to see this happen.

I got the rebuild kit from Oregon Performance Transmission, Kit # OPT-A904-RBHP "A904 HP Rebuild Kit A998 A999 Master Banner Overhaul Automatic Transmission Dodge Chrysler Jeep".

Perfect.
I have been looking at rebuild kits all over the place and I came to the same conclusion about Oregon Performance. I like the kits and I also like the add-on checkboxes for things like the reverse band, bushing kit, etc. Let us know what you think once you get it, and how everything goes together, and of course how it all performs.

I don't need or want a higher stall converter, so I'd like to either have mine re-man'd or buy a re-man. I'm not sure who is reputable to deal with for this yet, I'm still searching.

Edited to add:
In looking at the "HP" kit, they only list applications up to 1999, while the "non-HP" kit of the same part number otherwise, lists applications up to 2003. I have an 02, so I have contacted them about any possible differences, though I'd be surprised if there are any.
I like the HP kit with the raybestos clutches and kolene steels.

Last edited:
Perfect.
I have been looking at rebuild kits all over the place and I came to the same conclusion about Oregon Performance. I like the kits and I also like the add-on checkboxes for things like the reverse band, bushing kit, etc. Let us know what you think once you get it, and how everything goes together, and of course how it all performs.

I don't need or want a higher stall converter, so I'd like to either have mine re-man'd or buy a re-man. I'm not sure who is reputable to deal with for this yet, I'm still searching.

Edited to add:
In looking at the "HP" kit, they only list applications up to 1999, while the "non-HP" kit of the same part number otherwise, lists applications up to 2003. I have an 02, so I have contacted them about any possible differences, though I'd be surprised if there are any.
I like the HP kit with the raybestos clutches and kolene steels.
Will definitely keep you all updated as I go. I just got my slide hammer, some gnarly lock ring pliers and the kit will be here Friday so hopefully I will be tearing down the transmission this weekend.
The Pro-King CR90 is a direct replacement for the TJ with the stock stall. I used the Pro-King CR69 for about 3 years and had no issues so I would assume their CR90 will also work well. And they're cheap, about $130!
As for the rebuild kit I would be seriously surprised if this same kit didn't work on an 02 but please keep us informed on what OPT says.

Reactions: Wildman
I think I'd source another transmission to rebuild!
I looked around but even a core in unknown state is $500+. I was able to source all the parts I need for about $250 (including tools) and I know I will have a good transmission in the end.
I did start to wonder how I could have all this destruction without any signs of metal shavings in the pan or on the magnet. Then I found a very telling little piece of metal wedged into one of the clutch assemblies. It was a piece of the metal cage that holds the overrun clutch springs and rollers together, but the overrun assembly I have in my transmission is the newer style with a plastic cage. So how the hell did I get a piece of an overrun assembly that isn't even installed on my transmission? Then the light bulb went on... The MF'ers that rebuilt my transmission last did a nasty hack job and didn't even bother cleaning out the broken parts from original failure or replace the other broken components in the transmission. Then I notice a "Jaspers Engine and Transmission" sticker on the side. SOB! Jasper has a 80+ reviews on BBB with a 1 star rating. Complete hacks. At this point I am glad I sucked in water before this thing grenaded from the terrible rebuild it got.
I found a piece of this:
Inkeds-l1600_LI.jpg

But the one installed is plastic like this:
A54654A__62609.1569336164.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, I'd installed a few Jasper transmissions and engines in rigs when I worked at a Ford garage. Good to see all the shit talking we did about them was warranted. Can you get it hot tanked anywhere close to you? Might be worth it to try and clean it as good as you can.

Man this sucks that you're on the other coast. I have a 32RH core sitting on the shelf, which was going to be used for an automatic swap. That didn't happen and it's likely never going to be used. :(

• Sad
Reactions: U8MYDZT and Wildman