32RH transmission rebuild

I would also find out about seeing if you can use different clutches? On some autos you can use thinner clutches for more.
And see what different RPM's of torque converters you can get.
Kolele steels and redline clutches are the common upgrade, get away from the plastic accumulators and servo pistons if you so desire. Also there is a posting on here for the 32rh, it has some good sonnax info and moparts forum in the for sale section has performance parts for the 904 that is the same as the 32rh. Ymmv. Tim

Reactions: U8MYDZT and Wildman
Kolele steels and redline clutches are the common upgrade, get away from the plastic accumulators and servo pistons if you so desire. Also there is a posting on here for the 32rh, it has some good sonnax info and moparts forum in the for sale section has performance parts for the 904 that is the same as the 32rh. Ymmv. Tim

Kewl, good info. 👍

I have a slightly higher than stock stall on my TC and it hasn't given me any issues. Will probably go with the same when I replace it.

Reactions: Wildman
I have a slightly higher than stock stall on my TC and it hasn't given me any issues. Will probably go with the same when I replace it.

Since I have a V-8 I am not UP on the auto's in the 4.0 but figured I'd include it incase it was something you'd want to look at. I don't know what threads Jerry was referring to and I'm sure there are some people who didn't like a higher or lower stall speed.

There's only one transmission shop I know to trust with a rebuild of that transmission, it's just a little far to drive. Westminster Transmission in Westminster CA, in Orange County. To me it'd be worth the drive, or the shipping cost... they are trustworthy and really know Jeep transmissions, especially the 32RH. If you call them, ask for Joe... hopefully he's still there. A really good guy.
100% what he said ^^^

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
It sounds like an enormous amount of work and it also pukes fluid after the mod?

If you read further in my how to thread you'll see I haven't had mine puke since I took the low spot out of the vent hose. I read everything thread on the internet about this topic, and it seems split on people having it puke vs not puke, but I'm willing to bet at least some (if not all) of the puking crowd had a low spot in their hose where the fluid sat & prevented proper breathing.

If you read further in my how to thread you'll see I haven't had mine puke since I took the low spot out of the vent hose. I read everything thread on the internet about this topic, and it seems split on people having it puke vs not puke, but I'm willing to bet at least some (if not all) of the puking crowd had a low spot in their hose where the fluid sat & prevented proper breathing.
I did read that but couldn’t think of where the low spot would be,it looks like a 90 elbow then straight up the dipstick tube,we have some crossings here in Missouri and I get nervous when I have to ford

I did read that but couldn’t think of where the low spot would be,it looks like a 90 elbow then straight up the dipstick tube,we have some crossings here in Missouri and I get nervous when I have to ford
The low spot was from me overestimating the length of the vent hose, so there was too much slack creating a low point. Make sure the lowest point on the hose is the elbow at the top of the trans and you’ll eliminate that potential issue.

As far as the puking, like I said, I’ve read ALL the threads and the only two theories regarding why fluids get up into the tube are (1) it gets slung up there by all the spinning parts and (2) a low spot in the hose as I’ve described.

I have a REALLY hard time believing fluid is slung up into that tiny hole and around the corner and up 3+ feet of hose, or that enough pressure build up *behind a column of fluid* to push its way up the hose. But what do I know? I very much can believe that a low spot in the hose can basically function as a P-trap and enough pressure could build up to push up that small amount out the top. I know the p-trap theory is at least in part true because of the way it gurgled when I added fluid. I also very likely overfilled it during my first wheeling trip after the mod….so many variables it’s hard to know what the root cause truly is.

The vent cap I put on the tube is also stained red, so it’s hard to tell if any new fluid has gotten up there since, but there’s no evidence of it on the outside of the hose. I ought to replace that cap to know once and for all.

I would be very interested to see the results of somebody doing this mod being very intentional about the hose, and see if there is any spit up. Maybe you can be that data point for us.

Wow thanks for the low spot tip, I would have never considered it. Even if it's not the fix all for puking it worth a try.

Wow thanks for the low spot tip, I would have never considered it. Even if it's not the fix all for puking it worth a try.

I've thought about what it might take to build a catch can into the hose, just to see how much fluid gets pushed up the hose under normal operation. I'll probably never do it, but I've thought about it. I've also thought about what decision making process led to everything else getting a vent hose but the 32RH didn't.