32RH transmission rebuild

Damn, that's a lot of broken stuff!
Sonnax seems to have a decent inventory of some of the hard parts you need if you are still looking.

I'd like to say I'm surprised about the Jasper thing, but my feeling is that most if not all of these mass reman motors and trannys that you get are done very poorly. Sad thing is, Jasper is supposed to be one of the better ones.

Damn, that's a lot of broken stuff!
Sonnax seems to have a decent inventory of some of the hard parts you need if you are still looking.

I'd like to say I'm surprised about the Jasper thing, but my feeling is that most if not all of these mass reman motors and trannys that you get are done very poorly. Sad thing is, Jasper is supposed to be one of the better ones.
Thanks for the input. I ended up finding all my parts but had to go through 10+ different vendors to source them all. As @mrblaine said, they are a little picky when it comes to the right parts fitting so I had to do my homework and shop around to be sure I got the right stuff.

Reactions: Wildman
I looked around but even a core in unknown state is $500+. I was able to source all the parts I need for about $250 (including tools) and I know I will have a good transmission in the end.
I did start to wonder how I could have all this destruction without any signs of metal shavings in the pan or on the magnet. Then I found a very telling little piece of metal wedged into one of the clutch assemblies. It was a piece of the metal cage that holds the overrun clutch springs and rollers together, but the overrun assembly I have in my transmission is the newer style with a plastic cage. So how the hell did I get a piece of an overrun assembly that isn't even installed on my transmission? Then the light bulb went on... The MF'ers that rebuilt my transmission last did a nasty hack job and didn't even bother cleaning out the broken parts from original failure or replace the other broken components in the transmission. Then I notice a "Jaspers Engine and Transmission" sticker on the side. SOB! Jasper has a 80+ reviews on BBB with a 1 star rating. Complete hacks. At this point I am glad I sucked in water before this thing grenaded from the terrible rebuild it got.
I found a piece of this:View attachment 313860
But the one installed is plastic like this:
View attachment 313861
Sounds like Jasper is taking lessons from A1 Cardone with their paint and ship it rebuilding process.

Well OPT kinda screwed me and only sent me a partial order. Still waiting on the front kick down band from them. So I guess I will just install my control arm skids and Savvy control arms while I wait... 

20220311_210232.jpg

Ok so I got some work done on the trans last weekend. So far the rebuild has been pretty easy. It is pretty much just take it apart and put it all back together. Far easier than building an engine and even easier than the manual transmissions I have rebuilt. I should have it all back together today and will update you all with the little important details I found along the way.

So far the rebuild has been pretty easy. It is pretty much just take it apart and put it all back together. Far easier than building an engine and even easier than the manual transmissions I have rebuilt.
This is really making me question if I should have paid to have my transmission rebuilt because I can rebuild an engine easy peazy.

• Love
Reactions: hear
I rebuilt my 30RH on the weekend and it was not that big of an issue. you just need to inspect the parts for wear and replace the worn parts. I opted and bought Sonnax problem solver parts for the tranny since I already have it apart.

pic of the tranny out and starting work on the valve body.

some of the parts I bought are:
Sonnax manual valve 22771-09
Sonnax Lube Regulated Pressure Regulator Valve 22771A-02K
Governor bore plug 22771-14K
Accumulator Piston Kit 22841-04K
Kickdown, Flex (1.60” Wide) 12022B
Washer kit 12200A
Mopar throttle cable guide 52079029
Dipstick tube seal ATP TO53
Pioneer Mater rebuild kit PIONEER 752057
Pioneer Filter and gasket PIONEER 745054
Transmission rebuild lube ATP AT201

1CA91FA9-0D1A-4B5C-970F-06A8B8D5BC65.jpeg

A07CBBC6-1150-492D-A8DA-6028C45C65CD.jpeg

Reactions: U8MYDZT
Damn, Just when I thought I was gonna get all the parts stuffed back in I found more things to replace... All the (thrust) washers in the planetary gear sets were tossed. Thought I would be ok because the backlash was within tolerance (.036") but I am sure glad I pulled it apart to clean it out. Here is one of them.

20220319_144129.jpg
As @mrblaine said there are a lot of parts that are specific to your individual transmission. Expect to pull your transmission apart before ordering things like thrust washers, bushings and steels. Here is what I have found so far that really matters when ordering these parts...

The thrust washers throughout the transmission can be different. There are several styles of output shaft washer. Mine was the 3 flanged one listed for a 42re. Make sure you look at the back of the front shaft to match the thrust washer.
20220313_101159.jpg
Thrust_Washer-1.PNGThrust_Washer-2.PNG

So you buy this kit and think you're covered just to find out there are different (thrust) washers for the planetary gearset. The smaller set of washers has either 3 or 4 tabs. Make sure you check yours first! Mine were the 4 tab listed for a 4 speed (I absolutely do not have a 4 speed)
InkedThrust_Washer_Kit-1_LI.jpg

Then there is the steels. The front set are standard but the rear ones are notched.
20220313_112921.jpg
The set I got from OPT did not have any notched steels so I notched them myself. You only need to notch opposite corners as the rear drum only has groves on 2 of the guides.
20220319_115023.jpg
Inked20220319_115131_LI.jpg

There are also 2 sized kickdown bands as well so make sure you order the 1.6" wide one.

(Got some stuff to take care of so I will update this more later)

20220409_161219.jpg

It's finally back together!! After a lot of time and part hunting I got the transmission all buttoned up and ready to be install. I would say for me, on a scale of 0-10 an engine rebuild is about a 5-7 depending on the size and MFG of the engine. This was about 4-5 only because you need to pay attention to the parts you buy. If I had all the parts needed to do this rebuild before I started it would have been a weekend job, taking my time. Don't be discouraged by this, it's pretty straightforward. I have a few more notes to add but I am beat after traveling last week.

Ok so here are a few more note that might be handy.
20220313_121250.jpg

There isn't much information on where these check-balls go so pay attention to the size and locations! I took a piece of cardboard and poked some holes in the approximate locations of the check-balls. Then carefully placed the balls on top of the holes in the cardboard and tapped the balls in place.

My aftermarket governor support did not have an arrow on it to designate the direction it should be installed but the stock one did. if you look at the support you will see a hole on the inside landing and a bump for an oil passage. this side faces the transmission pan.
govener support.jpg

20220409_131439.jpg

there are also 2 different styles of governor support, one with 4 mounting holes and one with six mounting holes. Mine had six holes but here is what a 4 hole looks like just in case yours is different.
4 bolt govener support.jpg

There was something they guy in the rebuild video said that made me pay attention to the front band a little closer when I ordered my new one. Many flex bands have little to no way to register the band to the adjustment screw. if you look at this band you will see there isn't much keeping the band in place on the adjustment screw.
20220409_122201.jpg

I ended up getting the Pro Series H.D. front band from Raybestos that has a much better way of locating the band to the adjustment screw.
20220409_122141.jpg

Other than the things I have noted, which have really all just been paying close attention to the part you order, this rebuild was done following the manuals I listed here. I will be installing the trans into the Jeep this weekend and will let you all know how it goes.

She's back!!! After a lot of part hunting and a shitload of cussing I got her back together and on the road! The deep aluminum pan I put on took a LOT of mods to make it work with my tummy tuck, but man was it worth it. She drives fantastic!! You can definitely feel the difference in the way the transmission behaves. Again I am beat after a day of wrestling with the beast. I will post some more updates after I get some rest.
20220416_190020.jpg
20220416_110336.jpg

That's Awesome and the Jeep looks good back on the road.

Looks like you had to trim your skid about the same way I had to mine to clear the larger trans pan. Great Job and I'm sure it feels good to have it finished.

Reactions: U8MYDZT