35s with 4.56 gears

this is the reason i'm running taller gears than most recommend in my dd.. i cruise between 80-90 regularly on the 405 and the high rpms were just too much for my liking with how i was geared for 33's. switched to 35's and kept the same gears and it's money on the highway. few extra shifts here and there don't bother me city driving and being in 4th gear at city cruising speeds is fun, not gonna lie.

too bad they don't make 4.72 gears, they would be perfect

Don't get me wrong, I like low gears. I just know 5.13 with the 6 speed would be a tad bit much. Only by a small amount.

Reactions: Ocho
When I got my 06, it had the 6 speed and 4.56 on 35's. It wasn't bad, especially with the manual. I would think if your gearing isn't quite ideal, you're in better shape with the manual.

I eventually went to 5.13, then swapped to the 42RLE with 35's. Much better combo. Though now that I have 37's and aftermarket axles, I went with 5.38. Hopefully I'm done with regearing lol.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: RINC and JMT
The 5.13 gearing I have never seems too low under any circumstances I've encountered and that includes elevations from sea level to 13,000 feet above sea level. If anything, I might prefer 5.38 at times on pavement when I have to shift down to 5th to maintain 75 or so up some grades.

I just can't imagine 4.88 being preferable under any circumstances with 35s and the NSG370 if you drive on roads with interstate speed limits.

I can set my cruise control to 80+ (actual speed) and it maintains pretty well on the interstate. I often have to downshift on climbs but it's not a bad compromise. A lighter Jeep would perform better but not enough to warrant higher gearing (eg 4.88) IMO.

YMMV

Having driven mine all around the Midwest, I haven't figured out why the steeper gearing would have been preferable. We still aren't regearing as low as the early TJ with the auto was from the factory.

I’m debating on moving up to 35s from 33s I have 4.56 with nv3550, I’m 80% pavement and was wondering if I would be ok running 35s with 4.56?

The proper ratio is 5.13 for the 5-speed and 35’s. 4.88 would barely cut it, and you’d be hunting some gears at highway speeds with elevation changes.

• Love
Reactions: RINC
Man… I just pulled the trigger on Revolution 4.88’s which the fronts are literally being delivered today and rears by end of week. I messed up and got regular pinion for the front so I need to send them back anyways. Then I come here and am wondering if I made the right choice. Just bought the jeep in fall. Came with 33’s and as far as I know 3.73’s. I did get lucky, it being a Sahara has a 44 rear. I plan on 35’s… 36 iroks to be exact. Not a big rock guy though Drummond does happen. Mostly trails and hills and around town. It’s not my daily. Is there that big of difference between 4.88 and 5.13? Mine being 4.0/NV3550? The difference that big between the NV and NSG?

Man… I just pulled the trigger on Revolution 4.88’s which the fronts are literally being delivered today and rears by end of week. I messed up and got regular pinion for the front so I need to send them back anyways. Then I come here and am wondering if I made the right choice. Just bought the jeep in fall. Came with 33’s and as far as I know 3.73’s. I did get lucky, it being a Sahara has a 44 rear. I plan on 35’s… 36 iroks to be exact. Not a big rock guy though Drummond does happen. Mostly trails and hills and around town. It’s not my daily. Is there that big of difference between 4.88 and 5.13? Mine being 4.0/NV3550? The difference that big between the NV and NSG?

4.88 will be fine. 5.13 would have been better. The meaningful difference between the NV and NSG is the over drive gear. NV being 0.73 and NSG 0.84. this generally means that the NSG can be a step steeper.

Not everyone gets a 4.88 recommendation, not everyone gets a 5.13 recommendation. :)

I have the 42RLE in my unlimited on 33" tires. I may decide to go up to 35's when I need new ones, so I decided on 5.13 gears for my regear. I also decided to run ARB lockers while the gears are being replaced. I figure do as much inside the differential as I can while it's torn apart.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have the 42RLE in my unlimited on 33" tires. I may decide to go up to 35's when I need new ones, so I decided on 5.13 gears for my regear. I also decided to run ARB lockers while the gears are being replaced. I figure do as much inside the differential as I can while it's torn apart.

Also my plan, just stockpiling parts for now as it’s in the garage for winter. Still undecided on ARB or Eaton. I understand ARB requires air and to my understanding can develop air leaks. This makes makes me lean toward Eaton which we’re kind of troublesome in the beginning but have become better with improved design from what I read??? I know most of the time u never hear about the good, only the bad so I take it with a grain of salt but having no experience with either I try to make an informed decision from what I read. I plan to lunchbox the front for now.

Also my plan, just stockpiling parts for now as it’s in the garage for winter. Still undecided on ARB or Eaton. I understand ARB requires air and to my understanding can develop air leaks. This makes makes me lean toward Eaton which we’re kind of troublesome in the beginning but have become better with improved design from what I read??? I know most of the time u never hear about the good, only the bad so I take it with a grain of salt but having no experience with either I try to make an informed decision from what I read. I plan to lunchbox the front for now.

Other than the actuation tabs breaking from being mishandled during shipping due to poor packaging by Eaton, I have heard nothing but good things about Eaton. I have heard plenty of good and bad for ARB, mostly the bad being leaky seals. Some chalk it all up to install but it seems like even with a perfect install they are sometimes still finicky and leaky. I'd go Eaton.

Reactions: BIGMike

I have the Eaton Dana 44 Rear and lunchbox up front. Only good reviews from me. Just have to watch your braking when turning in the snow so you don't slide the front.

Reactions: BIGMike

I'm very new to this whole thing. I had the same concerns you mentioned about the air. I just figured for what I do, I'm not likely to break an air line anymore than a wire. I like the idea of being able to use the compressor on the trail or after for tools or to inflate tires.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I'm very new to this whole thing. I had the same concerns you mentioned about the air. I just figured for what I do, I'm not likely to break an air line anymore than a wire. I like the idea of being able to use the compressor on the trail or after for tools or to inflate tires.
My vote is for the E-Locker but you're right, properly run air lines are no more likely to be snagged and broken on the trail any more than brake or fuel lines are.

Thank you so much, I'll go with the 4.88 do you have someone you recommend for the regearing, I'm from Ocala

Good decision. I sure don't know of anyone here in Florida to do the regearing, I just got here from California in May.

Jerry, I messed up, I said Im on 35s and didn't realize I'm only on 33s. I went and regeared to 4.88. Should I have done 3.55?