42RLE rebuild

Weasellee

Jeep idiot
Supporting Member
LJ is at the local reputable tranny rebuild shop. Great guys. While there anything specific that should be done while rebuilding the tranny. That have the whole jeep. Is there a specific shift “kit” or torque converter spec other than stock?
Any advice is appreciated. @Jerry Bransford @mrblaine

I should add I lost reverse. All forward gears are working.

🇺🇸

Last edited:
Reactions: John Cooper
LJ is at the local reputable tranny rebuild shop. Great guys. While there anything specific that should be done while rebuilding the tranny. That have the whole jeep. Is there a specific shift “kit” or torque converter spec other than stock?
Any advice is appreciated. @Jerry Bransford @mrblaine

I should add I lost reverse. All forward gears are working.

🇺🇸

No idea. I hand the trans to the guy I trust, he gives it back how it should be.

Not that I can specifically recommend and certainly I would not go for a different spec torque converter.

I installed a Transgo SK 604 shift into my 42RLE while fixing a big problem with its shifting that was also causing it to go into limp mode but I wouldn't look at the shift kit as any kind of a definitive fix. It was just an afterthought while believing the real fix was just a new solenoid pack. I can't say the Transgo kit did anything noticeable though Transgo does claim it fixes some known 42RLE issues which I can't say if it did or not lol. I likely wouldn't ask the shop to install a shift kit but if they think it'd be a good ideal, the SK 604 is the one I'd ask them to install. Mainly because it didn't create hard shifts or really do anything negative. All I know is I installed a new solenoid pack, new check valve balls inside the valve body, and a Transgo shift kit and my 42RLE has been problem-free since completing the job in 2018. It still shifts the same as it did before the problems started while on an offroad trip in the desert. AAA had to take it 180 miles to my house on a flat-bed tow truck. Good thing I had that kind of tow insurance lol.

Reactions: Weasellee
What does the gauge say you should do?
As in ATF/transmission temperature gauge you add which is strongly recommended.

Like this one from B&M...
20170827_123947_resized.jpg

With the drain plug as the sender will the engine skid still have clearance is what I’m looking to discover.

Which engine skid? Mine has a Dorman pan with a drain plug and a temp sensor. It barely fits inside the Savvy engine skid, but that would be true of the stock pan, too.

With the drain plug as the sender will the engine skid still have clearance is what I’m looking to discover.

With all these smart folks in here, I'm not sure how it escapes anyone that I have brazed in at least 30 temp sender bungs into the heavier than OEM Dorman trans pans. In fact, thinking about it some, I've ordered and used about a 100 sender bungs doing that for folks.

With all these smart folks in here, I'm not sure how it escapes anyone that I have brazed in at least 30 temp sender bungs into the heavier than OEM Dorman trans pans. In fact, thinking about it some, I've ordered and used about a 100 sender bungs doing that for folks.

So how do i get my hands on a heavier than dorman pan with welded bung? Is there a link i can attach some funds to and whala it appears in my mailbox? I’m willing to pay…

I looked twice but didn’t see a “welded bung” option on the BMB site. 😁 I’ve always wanted a cloning machine that I could walk through whenever I need qualified help. 🧐