Colorado 4x4 trip

I'm waiting for that vehicle lift down south to get finished. It will save some time in the day not pulling the axle, especially if we need to do a full gear setup.

X2. I'm ready to toss this front axle. Both axle bushings are completely shot. Plus I want to use 5th again.

Spring Creek was definitely a fun trail. The long stretch of rock garden was challenging

Reactions: strumble8 and jjvw
So should we make at least Kelly Flats official? With the option of running Moody Hill on the way back?

Reactions: strumble8
@Cotril feel free to copy/paste this info in your original post.

Kelly Flats

June 22, 2019
Meet @ King Soopers Parking Lot @ 9am
1842 N College Ave, Fort Collins, CO 80524

I've never ran this trail and the info above is all from TrailsOffroad.com--Wheel at your own risk. Maybe someone can chime in on necessary requirements (lockers, armor, for example). From my experience a rating of 5 can be done by a stock rig.

Kelly Flats Trail Description (for those who may want to come along):

Rocky or undulated road surface. Rocks and less than 54" tall and/or vertical ledges less than 54" tall and/or near vertical ledges or waterfalls less than 10' foot. Tire placement not good. Can be steep and off-camber.

Kelly Flats 4x4 Road (5-7 rating) is a mixture of rock and dirt surfaces. The hill climbs on Heart Attack Hill and Aneurysm Hill are littered with large loose rocks and traction can be difficult. Heart Attack Hill can be difficult during ideal conditions and downright dangerous when wet. It is steep and lifting one tire off the ground on occasion can be expected. There have been roll-over crashes on Heart Attack Hill and extreme caution is advised. After reaching the top of the hill climbs, Kelly Flats 4x4 Road crosses through private property. Please respect the owner’s property rights by remaining on the road and driving at a reasonable speed.
Past the private property lies the short, but extreme obstacle known as The Chutes. This is a route for modified rigs and off-road driving experience. Vehicle damage is likely here. The rest of the trail is a mixture of dirt two-track and occasional rock. Keep a keen eye out for elk and moose while in the forested area as they are often spotted.

This is roughly a 3 hour + trail. Bring food, water, tools, etc...

Afterwards there is talk of also running Moody Hill. I think a stock rig can handle this as well. Moody Hill is roughly a 45 min out/back trail. Probably longer for those who are wanting to play in the quarry. The info below is copied from TrailsOffroad:

Moody Hill is an awesome rock crawling trail located 30 minutes west of Fort Collins, CO. It offers an exciting steep climb into the Roosevelt National Forest and ending at The Quarry, a rock crawling garden, that's not for the faint of heart. It is a popular area for local offroaders and it's common to see large groups here taking turns pushing the limits of their rigs. This trail is a must do for the locals and traveling rock crawlers alike, if in the area be sure to check it out.

I have seen many sock jeeps do Kelly flats . With out doing heart attack hill. There are bypasses and then there are bypasses for the bypass and anything you can't do we will gently pull you over.

Reactions: rasband
I might be interested in doing some trails when you guys do something farther south. Or west. Like redcone radical hill, spring creek, wheeler lake, chinamans etc

I would like to personally thank Tworley for the post about Kelly Flats and the time,date and location. Thank you for picking up the ball. I'll do better next time

Reactions: strumble8
I would like to personally thank Tworley for the post about Kelly Flats and the time,date and location. Thank you for picking up the ball. I'll do better next time

Sometimes I have nothing better to do at work 🙂

I might be interested in doing some trails when you guys do something farther south. Or west. Like redcone radical hill, spring creek, wheeler lake, chinamans etc

Red Cone, SC, and wheeler are all on my list. They are great trails

Reactions: Rescue6
Red Cone, SC, and wheeler are all on my list. They are great trails
Yeah I’m south east of Colorado Springs so Fort Collins is a long drive since I gotta go through Denver. If that traffic wasnt there I could make it in no time but sometimes it’s 2:45 min sometimes it’s 4.5 hour drive each way.

I
Yeah I’m south east of Colorado Springs so Fort Collins is a long drive since I gotta go through Denver. If that traffic wasnt there I could make it in no time but sometimes it’s 2:45 min sometimes it’s 4.5 hour drive each way.
don’t mind a long drive as I can throw it on my trailer but I can’t stand stop and go traffic

E470 is the only way I'll go through Denver. No stopping. Not bad traffic. But there is a $12.00 fee

I add a good 15 min on my drive up to Wheat Ridge every day by taking Hwy 8 and 93. Also helps that it is a much prettier drive. I avoid the west side of 470 as its usually parking lot due to people not merging quick enough. Traffic in Denver-metro sucks.

Reactions: rasband
Kelly is open as of today.

IMG_20190518_091350.jpg

IMG_20190518_091944.jpg