8.8 swap questions

Duckhnter

Okay I’ve got a few questions maybe some of you can answer. I bought a 97 tj with a bent Dana 35 so I figured I will just do the 8.8 swap. The jeep is stock. I plan on lifting it a little bit and getting 33’s. Now should I lift it before I do the swap for pinion angle reasons? I would imagine so but would still like some input.

Also, am I going to need an sye and dual cardan shaft if I got with a 2.5” lift or a 3.25” lift?

Thank you In advance!

Are you commited to the 8.8?

A Dana 44 is imo, a better axle. Or just find a junk yard 35 and swap it more easily.

Never too early to do an SYE, you’ll need to do your axle swap and then order your ds after measuring.

You can set your pinion angle with double or single adjustable rear control arms.

Done right, double adjustables are good for 33’s. Plus the aftermarket arms add some strength conpared to the factory arms.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Yeah I already have the axle. Wouldn’t I want to set the pinion angle before welding on the truss kit? Rather than just using the control arms?

I ran an 8.8 in my old TJ with no problems. The pumpkin is offset to the passenger side? if I remember correctly. A cv driveshaft and a ssye will definitely help with the compound angles.
I had a JB Conversions ssye and a Woods shaft. I also had a Super8.8 kit with a locker.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Running an 8.8, my biggest issue was the pumpkin hit the gas tank skid with a solid diff cover. I never tried another diff cover so I don't know if a different brand wont hit, I just went with a stretch tank from genright.

I saw a post of a guy selling a truss kit for the 8.8 tj swap for $150 on here but it won’t let me contact him or comment on his post for some reason. Too bad.

Yes lift it before you weld the truss/ brackets and yes 100% set pinion angle before you weld everything. I also recommend adjustable control arms and track bar so you can fine tune it once installed. If you set your bump stops and control arms accordingly you shouldn’t have issues with diff cover hitting the tank. I personally run an 8.8 with solid cover and have no issues.

Yes lift it before you weld the truss/ brackets and yes 100% set pinion angle before you weld everything. I also recommend adjustable control arms and track bar so you can fine tune it once installed. If you set your bump stops and control arms accordingly you shouldn’t have issues with diff cover hitting the tank. I personally run an 8.8 with solid cover and have no issues.
With an assumed stock tank, I'm guessing you shortened your wheelbase by an inch or two so it would clear the tank on uptravel..

• Wow
Reactions: SvtLdr
So I’ve got another question, when getting the pinion angle how do I set the axle under the rig at ride hieght without any of the mounts on???

So I’ve got another question, when getting the pinion angle how do I set the axle under the rig at ride hieght without any of the mounts on???
You don’t, set it on some stands (not under the Jeep) with a floor jack under the pinion so you can fine tune the angle.

Did you measure the angle of the 35 (assuming it’s not drastically bent) before taking it out?

You don’t, set it on some stands (not under the Jeep) with a floor jack under the pinion so you can fine tune the angle.

Did you measure the angle of the 35 (assuming it’s not drastically bent) before taking it out?
How do you point it at your transfer case output shaft with and sye if it’s not under the jeep?

How do you point it at your transfer case output shaft with and sye if it’s not under the jeep?
You don’t…. Use an angle gauge and measure the pinion angle on the 35 that’s hopefully still under the Jeep. Now with the 8.8 sitting on some kind of stand setup use that same angle gauge and set the pinion angle to the same degree then tack your mounts into place.

Yeah I understand that concept, but I don’t have an sye yet or a lift. I will be doing all of this at once, axle swap sye and lift. So I don’t want to base my pinion angle off the 35 if it’s going to be different when I have the 8.8 in

Yeah I understand that concept, but I don’t have an sye yet or a lift. I will be doing all of this at once, axle swap sye and lift. So I don’t want to base my pinion angle off the 35 if it’s going to be different when I have the 8.8 in
My apologies we were tracking on different pages. Wait until sye and lift are done for the easiest route.

measure to the center of your wheel, this will give you what's called a rolling radius which is 1/2 your wheel diameter under weight of the vehicle. support the rig from the frame rails at ride height and use that measurement to set the axle under the rig on stands at that height.