A lesson learned—keep it light and nimble!

The front shocks required the use of my press to get the bushings and bar pins installed. It could be done without a press, but it would be a PIA to do. Like the rear, all the measurements paid off. The front will give me 4.25 inches up and 5.25 inches down. I know 50/50 is desired, but I tend to bias more on down, so I'm happy with the numbers for now.

20210529_153625.jpg

20210529_153726.jpg

Caveat here. I don't have my final driveshafts yet, but bolted up a spare 1330 rear shaft and took it for a quick spin. I couldn't go far, or fast, so I'll have to defer to @MountaineerTom for his feedback.

My initial impression is favorable for my light setup. The twin tube shocks are definitely soft riding compared to monotubes I’ve had, like Bilstein 5100s. The best way I can describe the Black Max shocks is soft and compliant. There is no harsh feedback or stiffness. If you like a firm shock, these are not the shocks for you. For a daily driver, I'm expecting them to be exactly what I wanted. Time will tell though!

Out of curiosity why do you prefer to bias towards down travel?
Where I wheel has a lot of holes and terrain that causes tires to carry. Maybe doesn't make sense for some, but I like the wheels to drop more, so there's a better chance they'll stay in contact with the ground.

Reactions: starkey480
Where I wheel has a lot of holes and terrain that causes tires to carry. Maybe doesn't make sense for some, but I like the wheels to drop more, so there's a better chance they'll stay in contact with the ground.
Nice! Out here it feels like uptravel is king on a lot of the bouldery stuff

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
Caveat here. I don't have my final driveshafts yet, but bolted up a spare 1330 rear shaft and took it for a quick spin. I couldn't go far, or fast, so I'll have to defer to @MountaineerTom for his feedback.

My initial impression is favorable for my light setup. The twin tube shocks are definitely soft riding compared to monotubes I’ve had, like Bilstein 5100s. The best way I can describe the Black Max shocks is soft and compliant. There is no harsh feedback or stiffness. If you like a firm shock, these are not the shocks for you. For a daily driver, I'm expecting them to be exactly what I wanted. Time will tell though!
I like what I'm hearing so far since mine is a DD.

Because I was stupid, I had to order one of these from Advance Auto. Thankfully it was not expensive and they do same day local delivery. Note to self, don't lean against a small plastic part! 🤬

20210529_171508.jpg

I’m planning on putting my shocks on tomorrow.

—-

I thought I was in the other shock thread. Didn’t want to clutter up you’re build thread so I moved the other 2 posts over there. 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: TJim and Irun
Experimenting with inside locations for the locker pumps. This one works with an automatic, but I wouldn't like it with a manual. Looking at other options now.

20210530_160447.jpg

Last edited:
What about putting the pump(s) in the steering column (where folks like to mount their amps)?
Mind reader! ;) I pulled the panel off below the column and started looking at that location. It looks like there's a bolt I could use to bolt a bracket to. My column is a non-tilt, but I have a tilt column I'm looking to add. I'll need to factor that in.

Reactions: zebra12
Do you have ABS? I mounted mine to the abs tray and it works out pretty well. I don't think I'd want those little pumps in the cabin. They aren't particularly loud, but they do make noise.

Do you have ABS? I mounted mine to the abs tray and it works out pretty well. I don't think I'd want those little pumps in the cabin. They aren't particularly loud, but they do make noise.
I have the set in my LJ mounted there, blue mount, and have done a couple others that way. I'm considering putting a VIAIR or ARB compressor in this one, so I'm looking for alternate locations. Preferably out of the heat and elements. Since the compressors for the lockers would only be used when wheeling, I'm not worried about the noise. I do plan on testing that assumption first though!

LiAwC5Q.jpg

xmTKXo2.jpg

Reactions: JMT and Mike_H
2 "L" brackets, a piece of plywood or mounting plate of your choice, and mount them to the 2 column mount studs. That's where I mounted my amp. Actually, it would be comforting to hear the pumps working when your wheeling, IMO.

I made a couple pigtails and wired up the rear locker, with the pump on the bracket attached to the door strap holder. With the vehicle running you can hear the pump when you first turn it on. After that the one second cycling of the compressor is barely noticeable, when listening for it. Offroad my concentration will be elsewhere and I'm guessing I won't even hear it.

Of course nothing can go smoothly. The rear locker isn't fully engaging. I tested the pump output and lines. Everything is good there, so the issue is internal. :cautious:

20210531_152153.jpg

20210531_152212.jpg

I made a couple pigtails and wired up the rear locker, with the pump on the bracket attached to the door strap holder. With the vehicle running you can hear the pump when you first turn it on. After that the one second cycling of the compressor is barely noticeable, when listening for it. Offroad my concentration will be elsewhere and I'm guessing I won't even hear it.

Of course nothing can go smoothly. The rear locker isn't fully engaging. I tested the pump output and lines. Everything is good there, so the issue is internal. :cautious:

View attachment 256173

View attachment 256174
Like the install but ruh roh. Do you mean it's internal to the diff?

Reactions: Irun
Like the install but ruh roh. Do you mean it's internal to the diff?
I think so. I cleaned it, but never tried it, until now. If I have to pull it apart, it will result in a regear. I'm hoping that isn't necessary.