Advice on how to sell my Jeep

Apparently you don't know the TJ market. If you did you wouldn't have paid $7000 for a 2.5 with issues and a rebuilt/salvage title. You got whacked on an impulse buy and now you need someone just like you to come along and do the same thing you did so you can move on to another impulse buy.

A Wrangler is a niche vehicle and many first-time buyers are wowed by the looks and the quirkiness and the wave and the "it's-a-Jeep-thing" and whatever else they're wowed by. But the reality is what you're seeing now. You over-payed for that Jeepness and you found out you hate that Jeepness so much you'll do anything to be rid of it. To the point where, if I'm reading this thread right, you've even gone so far as to make some sort of deal with the Miata owner, which if it's a binding deal has placed your back squarely against the wall. Behind the eight ball is how us old guys might put it. No wonder you're edgy.

If I were you - actually I'm way old enough to be your father, so if you were my son I would advise you to cut your losses and take the first 5 grand that comes down the street. Either that or sit and wait for the next you.

You can tweak your ad all you want but the bottom line isn't going to change - you're trying to sell a $4500 car for $6600. You'll need a combination of patience and luck for that to happen. Welcome to the world of grown-ups my friend.
I got it for $4000 with payments with no interest. It was a good deal. Came with studded tires, a warrenty, etc. Totally worked out. Too bad I fell in love with another car

No. You only have to try and explain it to the poor schmuck you’re trying to got $7k out of.
It was well taken care of in it’s life time. I have all the paper work, I know all the info from the previous owner as well, I put a lot of care into it myself. I took time to re-do the dash, fixed a seal, etc. I’ve treated it well. It’s got a rebuilt title but it’s just a completely repaired blemish. You act as if this is oh so shocking but did you think that, hey, you haven’t driven it, you havent experienced it yourself, and it might just be a really fucking great 2.5? Because it is. I’m happy you’ve got your TJ, love it, etc, but I just don’t like your disrespect towards my TJ. You need to respect my TJ. Almost everyone on here hates the 2.5 and so with that in mind, I think you need to show some respect.

• Haha
Reactions: Fouledplugs and JMT
it can’t be both. You either paid $4k or $7k. Just because the guy is taking payments doesn’t mean you don’t count that.
I explain the context in a thousand replies. I don’t have to explain myself again. Dealerships in my area we’re charging for 190,000 mile 2.5L for $8,000+. Private owners in my area we’re charging for 4.0’s in the $8000-15,000 range. I’m 23, wanting a TJ, and it was a struggle to secure $3000. Here comes a lovely TJ which wasn’t exactly what I was looking for, but very well loved and cared for, for $4000 with studded snow tires, a warrenty, $200 a month payments, and no interest. Fuck yeah I did it. It was a great fucking decision. It was as if all the stress I had to deal with in trying to buy a TJ, something falls into my lap and it was almost perfect. You’re older, you have stronger finances, etc. But I’m 23 years old and I got my dream car, a TJ. So I don’t know who the fuck you are, you need to be more respectful. I shouldn’t have had to type out this whole story for you. I’m selling the jeep for the most maximum out of profit I can and however way I can and I’m going to accomplish my goal of getting the Miata and that’s that. Maybe you should consider being less cynical?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nickgsjeep
I could have my dream car, a TJ, at $4000. I needed a car. I had only $4k to spend. I didn’t want to go through a dealer and get fucked. I made the right call.
You made a rash impulse purchase from a private seller and got "fucked" as you put it in the end any way...
The whole reason you came to the forum was for advice. You listened on one vehicle then threw all of that advice out the window and purchased a worse vehicle.

We all know what it's like to want something badly... As a matter of fact I did that to myself about 12 years ago when I purchased a 2006 dodge diesel... I liked the color and the model so much I rushed right in and said.... "Gotta have it!!!"
Buyers remorse set in after owning it for about 6 months when all the little things that had been hidden by the PO started coming to light.. If I had taken my time and looked it over well enough I could have seen the problems for what they were. But I was SO IN LOVE with the truck, I ended up being about $6000 upside down on that truck 2 years later when I traded it in on a new Truck! We Live and Learn every day of our lives.

When I decided I wanted to get another Jeep I promised myself I was going to take my time and get something worth owning and building. It took a lot of patience not just jumping on the first Jeep that was close to the price I wanted to pay. I don't make a lot of money and I want to make sure I spend my money the best way I can.
I found my 2000 TJ Sahara a year ago listed for $4000.00 on FB Marketplace Drove across Idaho to look at it after talking with the PO. Once I looked it over test drove it I came back with an offer of $3500 he countered with $3800, done deal!!! Was it in pristine condition? No, but it has a 4.0l 5 spd, dana 44 rear end and 3.73 gears. The body has a few flaws but nothing body armor wont cover up.

The point I am trying to make is the first step you need to take is to realize the situation you're in and come to terms with it...
There is a really good possibility you will not be able to sell your Jeep for the amount of money you are wanting to get out of it. SO you might need to settle for something better on gas, and insurance while you save up more money to be able to buy a vehicle that you want. I have seen people go out and spend $1000 or less on a not so old "beater mobile" and it runs great last's for ever, and they can then save money to buy their dream car!!

I know you fell in love with a Mazda Miata and need $5000 for it and still owe $2200, but being realistic, that means you need to sell the Jeep for $7200, and you admitted to only paying $4000 for it with payments and no interest. That tells me you already know it's only worth $4000 (and that's being generous) with a Salvaged/Rebuilt title. How can you honestly expect that any would buy something at what would be considered a high price for that Jeep if it had a clean title.
I got it for $4000 with payments with no interest. It was a good deal. Came with studded tires, a warrenty, etc. Totally worked out. Too bad I fell in love with another car

a Salvaged 4cyl will not bring the money a non salvaged 4 cyl will bring. A 4 cyl will not bring the money a 4 liter will bring.

Youre Asking damn good 4 cyl or beat 4 liter money for a salvaged 4 cyl. No hating. Just truth. The 4 cylinders just don’t command the same money as the bigger motors. I’ve wheeled with 4 cyl Jeeps and they are fine built right.

You made a rash impulse purchase from a private seller and got "fucked" as you put it in the end any way...
The whole reason you came to the forum was for advice. You listened on one vehicle then threw all of that advice out the window and purchased a worse vehicle.

We all know what it's like to want something badly... As a matter of fact I did that to myself about 12 years ago when I purchased a 2006 dodge diesel... I liked the color and the model so much I rushed right in and said.... "Gotta have it!!!"
Buyers remorse set in after owning it for about 6 months when all the little things that had been hidden by the PO started coming to light.. If I had taken my time and looked it over well enough I could have seen the problems for what they were. But I was SO IN LOVE with the truck, I ended up being about $6000 upside down on that truck 2 years later when I traded it in on a new Truck! We Live and Learn every day of our lives.

When I decided I wanted to get another Jeep I promised myself I was going to take my time and get something worth owning and building. It took a lot of patience not just jumping on the first Jeep that was close to the price I wanted to pay. I don't make a lot of money and I want to make sure I spend my money the best way I can.
I found my 2000 TJ Sahara a year ago listed for $4000.00 on FB Marketplace Drove across Idaho to look at it after talking with the PO. Once I looked it over test drove it I came back with an offer of $3500 he countered with $3800, done deal!!! Was it in pristine condition? No, but it has a 4.0l 5 spd, dana 44 rear end and 3.73 gears. The body has a few flaws but nothing body armor wont cover up.

The point I am trying to make is the first step you need to take is to realize the situation you're in and come to terms with it...
There is a really good possibility you will not be able to sell your Jeep for the amount of money you are wanting to get out of it. SO you might need to settle for something better on gas, and insurance while you save up more money to be able to buy a vehicle that you want. I have seen people go out and spend $1000 or less on a not so old "beater mobile" and it runs great last's for ever, and they can then save money to buy their dream car!!

I know you fell in love with a Mazda Miata and need $5000 for it and still owe $2200, but being realistic, that means you need to sell the Jeep for $7200, and you admitted to only paying $4000 for it with payments and no interest. That tells me you already know it's only worth $4000 (and that's being generous) with a Salvaged/Rebuilt title. How can you honestly expect that any would buy something at what would be considered a high price for that Jeep if it had a clean title.
What are you on about? The car is fine. I just fell in love with a different car. There is no deeper bullshit that’s literally only it. Why wouldn’t I just drive the TJ until I found the best offer for it and sell it? There’s no time crunch other than I was hopeful that I could sell it this month to get that one Miata. There is no reality of the situation other than me just sitting on my ass waiting for the best price that I get from a buyer.

What are you on about? The car is fine. I just fell in love with a different car. There is no deeper bullshit that’s literally only it.

No the Jeep is not fine!!! You yourself have done nothing but complain about the water leaks. And you also admitted that if it didn't have those water leaks you'd probably be happy with it... You keep changing your story.
Once again I wish you luck in selling it, but I don't hold your breath for what you're asking for it...

un tonto nacido todos los días

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney
No the Jeep is not fine!!! You yourself have done nothing but complain about the water leaks. And you also admitted that if it didn't have those water leaks you'd probably be happy with it... You keep changing your story.
Once again I wish you luck in selling it, but I don't hold your breath for what you're asking for it...

un tonto nacido todos los días
I think I will successfully sell the jeep for a price I’m comfortable with and get a Miata. I’ll be fine. I don’t keep changing my story I’m replying to many different people. As for other things, I don’t agree but hey I’ll bite: Okay I have this awful Jeep omg. I wasted so much money and it’s got a leak. I gotta get rid of it because I HATE IT. IT’S THE WORST THING IVE EVER DONE. I was so wrong to think I could buy my dream car for a decentan okay price. It runs absolutely fine but obviously it doesnt because it has a REBUILT TITLE. IT’S A 2.5! 2.5’s ARE MADE BY SATAN.

Last edited:
I just fell in love with a different car.
I think you have a different definition of "love" than most. I think that word is trending or something on this forum due to how many times you've used it in this thread. You need to calm down and breath. Ya, a few on here might be poking the bear, but your hate and retorts are fueling the fire.

And for the record, you asked for input on buying a salvaged TJ that we all said was too high priced. So you went out and bought another TJ, priced HIGHER and with the same flaws as the first you claimed to be "in love with". So then no, you didn't listen to anyone's advice on your original post about buying a TJ with a salvaged title. To me the 2.5 isn't even part of all of this. I own(ed) a 2.5 and the honeymoon was fun while it lasted. I'm not saying buying at dealerships is the way to go, and I'd say probably a majority on this forum went with private party sales.

You were warned about buying salvaged titles, and the other down falls of TJ's. Now you're in a pickle because you claim "everyone wants a TJ" but have had yours posted for at least 2 weeks and not a single person has come to even look at it. You asked us for input to sell it. I threw in my $0.02, a few others did too (most saying a 2.5 salvaged wasn't worth what you were asking), you kept avoiding saying what all caused it to be totaled, and now you're bent out of shape, throwing around profanities because yet again what you came looking for and wanting us to say isn't what you wanted. Many of us have still wished you best of luck on your sale.

I just ask one final thing of you. Bookmark this thread and in about 10 years come back and read it all again. Read how you responded, what advice we gave you, and I think you'll understand better. Now I hope for everyone's sake this thread goes dormant...

I think you have a different definition of "love" than most. I think that word is trending or something on this forum due to how many times you've used it in this thread. You need to calm down and breath. Ya, a few on here might be poking the bear, but your hate and retorts are fueling the fire.

And for the record, you asked for input on buying a salvaged TJ that we all said was too high priced. So you went out and bought another TJ, priced HIGHER and with the same flaws as the first you claimed to be "in love with". So then no, you didn't listen to anyone's advice on your original post about buying a TJ with a salvaged title. To me the 2.5 isn't even part of all of this. I own(ed) a 2.5 and the honeymoon was fun while it lasted. I'm not saying buying at dealerships is the way to go, and I'd say probably a majority on this forum went with private party sales.

You were warned about buying salvaged titles, and the other down falls of TJ's. Now you're in a pickle because you claim "everyone wants a TJ" but have had yours posted for at least 2 weeks and not a single person has come to even look at it. You asked us for input to sell it. I threw in my $0.02, a few others did too (most saying a 2.5 salvaged wasn't worth what you were asking), you kept avoiding saying what all caused it to be totaled, and now you're bent out of shape, throwing around profanities because yet again what you came looking for and wanting us to say isn't what you wanted. Many of us have still wished you best of luck on your sale.

I just ask one final thing of you. Bookmark this thread and in about 10 years come back and read it all again. Read how you responded, what advice we gave you, and I think you'll understand better. Now I hope for everyone's sake this thread goes dormant...
Thanks yeah I know I think it’ll work out for sure. I’ll find the right buyer. I bought my dream car for a price I could afford at the time and I’m happy about it. It didn’t turn out to be the one but hey that’s life. When you’re dealing with private sales that’s just things that happen. I’m happy I got a 2.5 because it’s cheaper and the engine of this car has been wonderful. The lake totally blows but it has to do with the aftermarket window. It’s a rebuilt title but that doesn’t bother me because of it’s condition otherwise. I would be happy to buy a rebuilt Miata for the right price. You act as if you guys had all these warnings for me but I accomplish what I was trying to accomplish and I am simply moving on to better things. I want two seat sports car not a jeep that’s just the way it is. It’s only been two weeks and hey if it takes fuckin’ six months that’s okay because I know that I’m going to get a Miata

This thread is like a merry-go-round, just going 'round and 'round.

You're saying you made a good purchase and are adamant about that.

- Use the advise people have given you to fluff up the add for a salvage title, 4 cylinder Jeep.
- Ask whatever price you think you want to get out of it.
- Don't hide the fact it's salvage to a potential seller, show them that paperwork you can get.
- Wait for it to sell.

You'll either get what you want out of it, or after a while of it not selling, you'll lower your price. Don't expect it to sell quickly. The only way you're going to sell it ASAP is if you really put a low price, which you don't want to do.

Problem solved.

Close this thread.

- Use the advise people have given you to fluff up the add for a salvage title, 4 cylinder Jeep.
- Don't hide the fact it's salvage to a potential seller, show them that paperwork you can get.
- Wait for it to sell.

You'll either get what you want out of it, or after a while of it not selling, you'll lower your price. Don't expect it to sell quickly. The only way you're going to sell it ASAP is if you really put a low price, which you don't want to do.

Problem solved.

Close this thread.
Good post.

Its hard to admit we didn't make the best choices , or wear our wives' clothes when they are out of town , but we all do the same silly stuff.

I have around $30,000 in a 2003 Rubicon , so dont feel too upside down . I started in too high for its condition and spent my way to being happy. Money can buy happiness , and unhappiness , its all where you shop.

I'm going to say one more thing we all can do occasionally to help ourselves....slow down .

Keep putting it out there , and eventually you will come to terms with what you need to do.

I will add one more thing ...as a whole , buying cars is generally bad financially ....they are a depreciating asset , but you can eventually out earn the system and drive what you want if you get up early , say yes sir and yes mam,smile and take some crap , and work like you know you should .

On the other hand , i know a guy who has had 34 Jeeps ..and he has never lost money on one. Its not that they are golden , but they are desirable , fun , sellable vehicles ..if you avoid 4 cylinders . I try hard to be respectful to our 4 cylinder forum owners , but at the end of the day , they do not have good resell value and worse, sellability.

A lot of guys on here have them and enjoy them . They do get you in a jeep at a low cost and have killer build potential ...and a good build starts with not paying too much to begin with.

Lol, this thread is such a trainwreck, I just can't look away!
Falling in love with a Miata. Lol. That's awesome!
Thank you so much. And yeah it is😂 I love all my fellow TJ peeps. Sorry everyone you know I love you. We’re just a family that’s fighting right now haha

- Wait for it to sell.

Problem solved.

Close this thread.
Agreed🙌 I would never lie about the title. That would be really really wrong. Amen🙌🙌❤️

Zedd I feel for you buddy, it’s a nice looking TJ & should be in the hands of someone that really wants to take the effort to correct the few issues it has. I happen to like the color too, it’s unique & I think would really come into its own with a well thought out build.

I’ve got a 23 year old son, he can be a little impulsive & hard headed too, often the curse of youth, & it’s tough when you’re young to learn these lessons because it seems like it costs you everything & in your particular case that includes something else you really want. Regardless of how this turns out it’s a good thing to go through, odds are you’ll take a beating but even if you get your price I think it’ll make you more discerning in future purchases & not just for cars but houses & other major expenditures. So chin up, it’s all good.

Reactions: Jamison C and Zedd
Zedd I feel for you buddy, it’s a nice looking TJ & should be in the hands of someone that really wants to take the effort to correct the few issues it has. I happen to like the color too, it’s unique & I think would really come into its own with a well thought out build.

I’ve got a 23 year old son, he can be a little impulsive & hard headed too, often the curse of youth, & it’s tough when you’re young to learn these lessons because it seems like it costs you everything & in your particular case that includes something else you really want. Regardless of how this turns out it’s a good thing to go through, odds are you’ll take a beating but even if you get your price I think it’ll make you more discerning in future purchases & not just for cars but houses & other major expenditures. So chin up, it’s all good.
That’s incredibly exactly true. My mother wanted a jeep TJ as well and Orange is her fav color. I told her if she can get me $4k and help pay out the rest of the payments she could have it. I’ve been crunching the numbers and if I successfully sell to my mother for 4000 and keep the title in my name or sell it for 6,300 I’ll be able to secure a Miata. I think I got this; I think I’ll be okay. It’s a reassuring feeling but with what you said, now I feel that I don’t wanna ever buy a used car ever again.
A9511754-ABC0-4A51-AF64-846B86933269.png

This just came from British Columbia and has not had a single owner. It’s like buying a new Miata🙌. It would financially fuck me so there’s no way I’m going to do it but buying a new old car would be amazing omg