Airbag idiot light?

The clock spring is about $100 or so, 99.9% it’s the clock spring. If you want to be safe you can have it scanned but some places may charge you 1/2 hour labor which would probably be close to half the price of the clock spring. If you have a mechanic or a dealer you know well you could ask if they would read the codes for you. It literally takes two minutes.

I myself would throw a clock spring in it.

It’s not bad. You would need a steering wheel puller, you can usually rent it from most parts stores. Disconnect the battery, positive and negative, let it sit for 10 minutes to de energize the system. Turn the wheel straight ahead. Remove the bolts from the backside of the steering wheel airbag they are 8mm I think, could be 10, it’s been a while since I did one. Remove the bag and unplug it. Take the bolt out of the center of the wheel, use the puller to remove the wheel, the clock spring is snapped in, snap it out and unplug it. Plug your new one in, don’t turn it at all and snap it in place. Reverse the rest of the process. I can do it in 20 minutes.

Reactions: KCsTJ
It’s not bad. You would need a steering wheel puller, you can usually rent it from most parts stores. Disconnect the battery, positive and negative, let it sit for 10 minutes to de energize the system. Turn the wheel straight ahead. Remove the bolts from the backside of the steering wheel airbag they are 8mm I think, could be 10, it’s been a while since I did one. Remove the bag and unplug it. Take the bolt out of the center of the wheel, use the puller to remove the wheel, the clock spring is snapped in, snap it out and unplug it. Plug your new one in, don’t turn it at all and snap it in place. Reverse the rest of the process. I can do it in 20 minutes.
I need to do this to mine. Replace the clock spring and get rid of that annoying air bag light.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Alex01
actually there is another cause that will make the airbag light on your dash come on.

The light bulb that is down in the airbag switch by your gear shifter or stick shift. that is the light bulb that should come on when you use your key to turn the passenger airbag off.

If that light bulb burns out, and it does, it will tell the system there's a problem and it will cause your airbag light on the dash to come on.

I took my switch out and rather than buy a new switch I just remove the bulb and soldered in a new one I got off Amazon.

It fix the problem immediately. A new switche isn't that expensive either and it comes with a new light.

I would check that before doing the clock spring and all the other issues.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Are you missing any other functions that use the clock spring? Cruise control, horn, rough idle present?

Good catch, I forgot about that. My cruise nor horn was working when I got it and po had actually went thru the trouble to go in and hook up a separate horn button and mount on left heat vent instead of just changing clockspring. Once I swapped mine horn and cruise work as should now. Only thing I haven't messed with yet is light showing cruise is on. There is one I assume right? Haven't checked just thought of it actually while typing this.