inkedrose

washed up superhero
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Been a thread recently about "is my cage good enough". Came way too close to testing mine yesterday. Landed rubber side down. Won't let me post video for some reason but a series of bad decisions got me here lol. Sometimes need to push the line to know where exactly it is

IMG_6581.jpg

Been a thread recently about "is my cage good enough". Came way too close to testing mine yesterday. Landed rubber side down. Won't let me post video for some reason but a series of bad decisions got me here lol. Sometimes need to push the line to know where exactly it is

View attachment 478599

I'd like to see that video. I think you're pretty limited on file size, but if you can post a link to it from wherever you upload it to i.e. YouTube, Google photos etc, that usually works.

Reactions: inkedrose
I'd like to see that video. I think you're pretty limited on file size, but if you can post a link to it from wherever you upload it to i.e. YouTube, Google photos etc, that usually works.

Have a bunch of stuff I'm going to upload to YouTube later. I'll post when I go through the rest. Been focused on this one and what I could have done better. Hell of a ride! Could feel myself on the wrong side of tipping point. Luckily it as slow, had time to hit the clutch then reversed to get the nose back down

yep, been in that position before.

1. was your rear passenger tire in a hole with plentiful traction? Picture the rear axle being driven but tires are stationary and Jeep is rotating around the tires.

2. The front driveshaft is connected to the chassis at the transfer case, so with torque applies it wants to spin the front axle. (that whole equal and opposite reaction thing)...pushes passenger front tire down, which lifts the driver front. Mostly noticed when the passenger is on higher ground than the driver.

I try to be extra careful on obstacles where the passenger side climbs faster than driver and either rear tire has an opportunity to wedge and grab.

I've found that using front locker and NOT a rear locker helps in this situation, because the front axle can help pull you up, and having an open rear relieves the torque that's wanting to lift the front end by allowing wheelspin on the one with the least traction.

In your second photo, it looks like your spotter is dancing with glee (an Irish jig?) at your expense! :ROFLMAO:

Kidding aside, I'm glad you saved it. I can't imagine the heartache of flopping a rig that so much time is spent building...

Exhibit A - me doing same thing on Poughkeepsie gulch outside of Ouray. Rear passenger on a hole with locker engaged, open front axle, passenger front climbing faster than driver.

poughkeepsie1080.PNG

Exhibit B - my buddy Alex doing literally the exact same thing in the exact same spot 2 years later. He has a Detroit in the rear and a Truetrac in front.
1701457441662.png

If you catch the right instant in the video, his passenger front hopped up in the air for a bit as well.

His second attempt took a line a little bit to the right so he straddled the tire-grabbing hole and the front driver didn't lift.

Me, again, with Torq auto locker in front and having completely forgotten to engage my rear E-locker, taking a line similar to Alex's second attempt, and not even coming close to lifting. I'm sure 10" of extra wheelbase didn't hurt, either.

Last edited:
In your second photo, it looks like your spotter is dancing with glee (an Irish jig?) at your expense! :ROFLMAO:

Kidding aside, I'm glad you saved it. I can't imagine the heartache of flopping a rig that so much time is spent building...

He was more worried about getting a photo! Priorities lol

• Haha
Reactions: Rickyd