Aluminum vs Steel Bumpers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have been a pissy bitch but if your info had come at the beginning my assumptions wouldn’t have been based on opinions, they would have been based on facts that would have changed my entire position. That said if a person is relying on what a manufacturer states as being fact then all things would have been equal and my argument valid because there would have been much less of a differentiation between the product. Yes I should be able to trust YOUR expertise but We also shouldn’t have to SECOND guess a company such as GenRight’s integrity.
Your position was you bought the "same" thing and it weighed less. There was no critical thought applied to the weight thing. Look at the two bumpers, they fit in the same place, they are the same thickness, they are both aluminum, they are both within inches of being the same size. Using your logic, Savvy's integrity is lacking because they have the weight wrong on their site.

Ya'll need to hop into the selling business and then you would figure out that the guy who designs the part, the concept guy, the marketing guy, the fabricator guy, the website guy and the owner of the company are very rarely the same individual.

It is like the old game of "telephone". By the time the owner gets the marketing guy to get the description over to the web guy and get the damn thing up on the site and priced out so they can start recovering several thousand dollars in development costs, shit gets lost in translation.

Would we like for their info to be gospel? Sure, but that doesn't mean it is and it rarely is. It is generally accurate and generally good enough.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That is the biggest pile of bullshit I’ve seen. If I’m buying something advertised as 6061-T6 then it better be fucking 6061-T6. I’ve bought a expensive 7075-T6 for a project, and if the company said “you just need to know it’s aluminum” then they wouldn’t see a penny more of my money. I am now positive their bumper is 5052 or they wouldn’t be shy about telling you it really was 6061-T6 and not just “a secret”.
It may not be 5052, there are other highly formable alloys. All we know for certain is what it isn't.

I think my issue with all this is it seems that GenRight is purposely deceiving the customer just so they can try to keep things a secret. It would be one thing if it truly was a typo, but it seems it is not and that they actually are trying to fool people who simply wouldn’t know any better.

I think my issue with all this is it seems that GenRight is purposely deceiving the customer just so they can try to keep things a secret. It would be one thing if it truly was a typo, but it seems it is not and that they actually are trying to fool people who simply wouldn’t know any better.

What if there is a part of that bumper that is 6061t6?

• Wow
Reactions: DrDmoney
I hope this does not reignite anything untoward, but as promised I am sharing the reply I received from GenRight...

"Hi [UKTJ],
Thanks for the email.
Funny people are debating the grade of aluminum.
We purposely don’t disclose what we really use to throw off our competitors.
In reality all the public needs to know is that it is aluminum.
Everyone needs to stop trying to puff their chest and relax. We know what we are doing.
😉"

As usual my first and only language just isn't working. Are we funny or is our debate funny? Maybe someone funny wrote that. Whichever is funny it's still sad to not be sure of what you've bought.

Either way, I wonder how long it took them to find this thread. There's no way they didn't immediately look online for it.

Reactions: reddvltj
As usual my first and only language just isn't working. Are we funny or is our debate funny? Maybe someone funny wrote that. Whichever is funny it's still sad to not be sure of what you've bought.

Either way, I wonder how long it took them to find this thread. There's no way they didn't immediately look online for it.
My thought is they may or may not believe customers would understand (or care) the properties of different alloys. Thus, “Aluminum” is good enough since it’s just to save weight and look cool

I work in the aerospace industry and with aluminum and I just want to point out a few things, none of these have to do with any particular bumper on the market. Just want to try and add to the "education" part of this thread.

-You can bend alloys {steel, aluminum, titanium, etc....) tighter than recommended without them cracking (to a point, too tight and they will crack). However, it will induce residual stresses and also failures in the grain structure. This will lead to premature cracking due to fatigue. So if a part is going to see any type of cyclic stress you would not want to bend it tighter than recommended, because the (residual stress + normal stress} * stress riser at the grain defect = crack in very near future. However, if it is just cosmetic and it won't see any working stress then bend it as tight as you can without inducing cracking.

-The tensile and shear strength of 6061 is higher than 5052 (or other 5000 series) and it is harder; however, 5052 has a higher modulus of elasticity and fatigue stress (which allows it to be bent tighter), it will also allow it to be bent further without cracking in an application; however, it will suffer permanent deformation much quicker than 6061.

-If you purchase an alloy in the "O" condition, you cannot heat treat it to T6, just T62. T62 is very close to T6 but it does have slightly lower properties than T6.

-The density of 5000 series is slightly less than 6061 and thus will be slightly lighter.

-Established OEMs will not only utilize regulated design requirements, but also established industry standards and experience when picking a material and designing a part/assy. Thus, experience may show that for production reasons or for part reliability that it is best to increase minimum design standards (like minimum bend radius, material thickness, etc...) to ensure a quality product. This is sometimes also to account for unknowns. It is very difficult to balance lightweight, usability, regulations, and overall reliability without experience. It is especially difficult when you throw in the bean counters and marketing department.

Following is my opinion as related to bumpers or any part for your TJ:
Most aftermarket parts are designed for "looks" or "functionality" with a slight cross-over. I believe it is best to use your vehicle how it is going to be used and then make your purchase decisions based on that use and your check book. I have also found that as you grow or expand in it's use, your requirements will change. So a part that is perfect today, may need to be modified or scrapped and replaced with another part in the future because your use of the vehicle has changed OR you learned something new OR you now have the funds available that you didn't before. Also, hindsight is 20/20, but the only way to be able to look back is to go through the experience and learn, that will allow you to look back and go "oh, now I get it" or "damn, I need to do this before this happens".

This is also my opinion:
Forums - great resource, but use with caution, they are in fact full of opinions and from perceptions that differ. Diverse opinions and perceptions are great, but need to be understood before allowing them to sway your opinion or perception.
Good write up. Thanks for sharing. I know enough about aluminum to get in trouble.

I have literally learned stuff about aluminum I did not know in this thread though.

Cool stuff actually to know. I'll probably never make it to JV with my Jeep. Or even abuse my UCF to any extreme. But, reading about how they can and can't form certain aluminum is cool.

OK, one thing to add. I did not share the name of the person who replied to my email as I did not think it would be fair to name somebody if they were relatively junior and maybe not 'across' all aspects of this. However, I was just looking to see what GenRight said about what some of their other parts are made of, I wondered if they specified a particular alloy or just said aluminium.

I ended up on the page about the company and have just seen the email account that responded belongs to the President and Founder of the company, Tony Pellegrino. So great that the top guy is dealing with emails coming in, but more likely he knows exactly what is going on.

My thought is they may or may not believe customers would understand (or care) the properties of different alloys. Thus, “Aluminum” is good enough since it’s just to save weight and look cool
Indeed, but they do not just say "Aluminium", they make a point of referencing "Super lightweight 6061-T6 Aluminium".

Out of curiosity, in terms of road safety, how will something like the 6061-T6 perform in an accident compared to the other aluminium bumpers mention or even a stock steel one?

Out of curiosity, in terms of road safety, how will something like the 6061-T6 perform in an accident compared to the other aluminium bumpers mention or even a stock steel one?
We are less likely to get an answer to that than we are a tow rating on an aftermarket rear bumper.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Status
Not open for further replies.