Amp install frustration

Stretch

TJ Enthusiast
Upgraded the stereo and speakers last year so thought I’d give a go to the “hidden amp” install under the steering column. Had my friend help who is better at wiring than me. Got everything from crutchfield again.
I’m not gonna sugar coat it … getting that board mounted under the steering column is not easy. You need hands the size of a small child. We ended up attaching the board on its on own eventually then drilling the amp to the board. (Also a pain)
Anyways … so once the amp was on and everything connected … went to fire it up. Nothing. Called tech support and they were great … walked us through a bunch of steps … nope … amp is dead from factory… and there goes 3 hours of my life. Took it all apart and desired it again so my system will work until they send out a new amp.
Lesson learned… test the equipment before you spend hours trying to install it.

8202A791-39F5-4C32-856D-49CF20E03B74.jpeg

C0C79B6E-3764-4417-A1BD-D3DF7778528B.jpeg

8035D76F-EEFD-4340-A455-31075286A013.jpeg

Just 2 power wires? Ground and hot? Most amps also require a third switched "trigger" power wire to actually turn the amplifier on. The trigger wire comes from the head unit so the amplifier is turned on when the head unit is turned on. Just a light gauge of wire is needed for that.

Reactions: Stretch
Just 2 power wires? Ground and hot? Most amps also require a third switched "trigger" power wire to actually turn the amplifier on.
Ya … added the switch wire after … tried the remote location and steering … nothing triggered … amp kept showing red light for protect … never got the green power …

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I wish I was there with a volt meter to actually test how it's wired in, I'm always a bit skeptical when a new amplifier doesn't turn on and always suspect an installation error of some kind.
Ya ditto... We tested power along the way... Multi metre said we had 12 at the power source but still ... I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we messed something up. I like doing a lot of work on my jeep... But the wiring stuff I barely understand. This forum has helped me with a tonne so far.

Agreed on the PITA install of the amp under the steering column - I lost hours of my life and made up some new languages cursing. I typically test gear before install, but did not this go around - fortunately got lucky and it fired right up.

Agreed on the PITA install of the amp under the steering column - I lost hours of my life and made up some new languages cursing. I typically test gear before install, but did not this go around - fortunately got lucky and it fired right up.
I’d like to see a guide simply on how to install under the steering column … how to do it without dropping bolts, busting open knuckles or inventing colourful new language.

Ya ditto... We tested power along the way... Multi metre said we had 12 at the power source but still ... I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we messed something up. I like doing a lot of work on my jeep... But the wiring stuff I barely understand. This forum has helped me with a tonne so far.
The blue wire coming off of your head unit is the remote turn on for your amp.

Have you tried disconnecting the speaker outputs (speaker wires) from the amp to see if it comes out of protect mode.

Reactions: Stretch
The blue wire coming off of your head unit is the remote turn on for your amp.

Have you tried disconnecting the speaker outputs (speaker wires) from the amp to see if it comes out of protect mode.
Ya... That was the first step... One speaker wire set at a time ... See if that was causing the short... Then tried the RCA... Same... Ugh...

I have the same amp, mounted the same way and have been through three under warranty. I had them swap me for a Sound Stream this time. Sound Ordinance is their house brand and they are garbage.

Ya... That was the first step... One speaker wire set at a time ... See if that was causing the short... Then tried the RCA... Same... Ugh...
Being that you got it from Crutchfield, I would exchange it for a better brand. It looks like Sound Ordnance gets less than stellar reviews.

I'm not sure which HU or speakers you are running but take a look at Soundstream amps. They are about the same price point as your current amp. They get some decent reviews.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530ST410KD/Soundstream-Stealth-ST4-1000D.html?tp=35782
Plus it's a smaller foot print, so it will be much easier to mount under the dash.

Good to know! I just thought that if it was theirs it would be ok. Should have read the reviews… I’m running a JVC head into from them. I’ll see if they are willing to let me pay for another alpine/sound stream or something other.