App Idea for Jeepers

CBJason

TJ Enthusiast
So, I've been looking at some Apps out there like Autosist and a few others for compiling info about your own jeep/mods/etc. and have an idea that kind of amalgamates everything together into a solid app where you can do a ton of stuff, including:
  • Date and time stamp each log entry
  • Scan receipts
  • Sync with your odometer reading via Bluetooth (or manually depending on your vehicle)
  • Prompts for before/after photos
  • Download/backup to PC
  • Download/copy to Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, etc. (cloud storage provider)
  • Share mod history with other users via email, txt message, or possibly an online forum?
  • Multiple vehicles (I'd make it so you could add by scanning the VIN)
  • Setting reminders
  • Ability to add custom notes
  • Save off-roads, trails visited
  • Add locations to visit, and map those routes (even cache offline)
  • Send trail maps, locations to friends (meet up functions...)
Couple questions:

1. Would an app like this be of interest to anyone?
  2. Any other features/functions others might have?
  3. Would $4.99 be a fair price for this (there would of course be a free version with fewer functions and is ad-supported)...?
  4. If not, what would you think is a reasonable price for an app that does all this?
Thanks in advance for any ideas/feedback on this... :)

Are you an app developer? I'm a web developer, and I have several friends who are app developers, so I know what goes into it.

What you're talking about developing is no easy feat, but if you're an app developer you already know that.

I think that $4.99 is a fair price. I would think there would need to be a Lite (free) version, and a paid version. The free version would get people interested enough to upgrade, that would be the goal.

The question with anything like this, is can you market it? I know app developers who will build something, but they can't market for shit, so they end up with this app that they have no idea how to get to the end user.

If you were to make something like this, I think the real important thing is that it would not just be for Jeep owners. By doing that you'd be limiting yourself to a portion of the marketshare, when you could have much more. I'd maybe develop it for 4x4 and off-road vehicle owners. So for instance, Jeep, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, etc. Basically anyone who wants to go off-roading.

So yeah, I think it could have potential. I just see the biggest hurdle (as it is with most things like this) being the marketing.

Another great idea for the end user would be for classic car people (sounds funny but you'd be surprised at the amount of people who have smart phones in this day and age), and for just regular car customization.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
Or you could make the same app just with a different "paint job" so to speak for different types of users.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

There'd be a base app that would have limited features for free, but if one were to buy the paid version, the floodgates open and you the whole shebang! :)

I would also consider, in the paid version of course, being able to download your vehicle stock specs. Meaning, a 2002 TJ sport came with: etc etc, and the torque for the rear UCAs is XX lbs. Factory plugs are blah blah. Yes you would have to compile a database for this, however, there is enough info out there to make it happen.

Reactions: CBJason
I would also consider, in the paid version of course, being able to download your vehicle stock specs. Meaning, a 2002 TJ sport came with: etc etc, and the torque for the rear UCAs is XX lbs. Factory plugs are blah blah. Yes you would have to compile a database for this, however, there is enough info out there to make it happen.

That's a great idea and easy enough to add because once it's compiled it's done - that'd be static info for archived vehicles.

Of course it'd have to be updated annually but once the archive is built I'd imagine adding stock specs for one years worth of production would be a lot easier (relatively speaking...LOL)