Are chromoly axles enough?

Be sure to check the axles for twisting. "Lincoln" lockers, spools, can be hard on axles when street driven. Especially if the dude was running those 40's on it.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Be sure to check the axles for twisting. "Lincoln" lockers, spools, can be hard on axles when street driven. Especially if the dude was running those 40's on it.
I twisted my OE Dana 44 axle shafts with nothing but 35" tires, a locker, and my 4.0L engine. The below photo isn't of mine but shaft's twisted splines looked exactly like this.

twisted splines.jpg

Reactions: KCsTJ
Good call. Just remove the hub bolts (14mm), and pull them, if I recall.

The four retainer bracket bolts have a 1/2" head.
Thanks, I will carry a 1/2" along and pull the shafts, easy 5 minute job...I'm having to drive about 95 miles for the axle. Fortunately, it's on my way to another destination, just right off the main road I'll be driving. The guy and I have been texting every night. He's 22 and been into wheelin his whole life because of his father. He showed me several pics of XJ's and other TJ's they had built up over the years. His ideas are right in line with the best ideas on our forum, which is encouraging to me that he knows how to do it right. He's even done several regears himself and offered to help me do a regear if I wanted, and walk me through the process. He sent me several pics of gears he had set up.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Thanks, I will carry a 1/2" along and pull the shafts, easy 5 minute job...I'm having to drive about 95 miles for the axle. Fortunately, it's on my way to another destination, just right off the main road I'll be driving. The guy and I have been texting every night. He's 22 and been into wheelin his whole life because of his father. He showed me several pics of XJ's and other TJ's they had built up over the years. His ideas are right in line with the best ideas on our forum, which is encouraging to me that he knows how to do it right. He's even done several regears himself and offered to help me do a regear if I wanted, and walk me through the process. He sent me several pics of gears he had set up.
Use a 3/8" drive ratchet, you will also need a short extension between the 1/2" socket and ratchet to reach the nuts.

Reactions: JMT
Update, so the guy is going to sell me the axle with the carrier that has the tact welded spider gears AND he’s going to give me the LSD carrier. He says the inner seals are good, didn’t leak, came off a Sport, 3.73 gears for those catching up. It’s mine on Friday!
Lincoln Locked. A cheap and DIY way to lock a differential. Resulting in a full spool style differential.

Not tack welded by the way. The welder lays a bead not a tack.
610569F8-FC62-4D28-8DA7-F426EA78BF44.jpeg

Hi everybody, I was looking for upgraded 30 splines axles for my Dana S35 to be (and a locker) and here in Italy I found few dealers selling Alloy 30spl for c-clips axles kit (ALLOY 12134 item) at resonable price.

Took a look on Alloy's website and other sellers and that's what they say:
"High tensile strength 4140 Chromoly is heat-treated, tempered and induction hardened to produce these heavy-duty axles that are up to 35% stronger than stock 1040 axles. Alloy USA uses the latest splining technology, to produce splines that are stronger than traditional cut splines. Our shafts are covered by an exclusive 10-year warranty"

Now, since I was looking only for 1541H axles due to the surface heat treatment, I'm wondering if these chromoly with surface treatment too will fit good, I mean in the long run without burning bearings !

Any experience?
I see that couple brands removed 4140/4340 axles for the c-clip Dana 35 from their production after many failures, so why Alloy still sell these all around the world?
(Just opened a ticket on Alloy's website to ask them this btw)

Waiting for your feedbacks men, buonasera a tutti from Italy ! ;)

Stick strictly with 1541H (a carbon steel) axle shafts for your Dana 35.

This is why you don't want chromoly like 4140 or 4340 axles in a Dana 35. They don't have the proper type of surface hardening for the raceless outer bearings used in Dana 35 axles.

Dana 35 bearing worn shaft.png