Are there any seat covers that hold up?

@overthehill just got Caltrend seat covers and judging by his photo it looks like an excellent fit. They're very inexpensive too: $75 for most of their offerings in different materials, compared to $300 for Bartacts (front seat set for either). I've looked around and seen general positive reviews for these for various vehicles. I do think a choice like this however needs to be specific to a Jeep considering most are looking for seats that can withstand quite a bit more than a closed off, on the road vehicle normally sees.

For $75 though it's a pretty minimal expense to check them out. I like the way they look, probably going to give them a shot soon myself considering my driver's seat is torn in a few places along the side.

Installed Caltrend custom front seat covers, fit like a glove.
Also Weathertech floor liners and a padded steering wheel cover from Amazon.
Have more adds, I'll update as soon as I get more pics View attachment 75287😉
https://www.carid.com/2004-jeep-wra...end-sportstex-custom-seat-covers-1930843.html

View attachment 75288

I had some Wet Okole seat covers years ago. They worked reasonably well but I would not characterize them as "great." I don't think I ever put them in the washing machine; all that was usually necessary was to vacuum them and wipe them off, sometimes a light scrup with upholstery shampoo was needed. The fabric side panels did fade over time (as does almost anything with black dye that sits in the sun), but a detailing trick of quickly misting the side panels with black aerosol fabric dye every few months was all that was needed. They did not acquire or retain any odors and were less prone to creating "swamp ass" than the vinyl seats they covered (perhaps my experience would have been different if they covered fabric seats).

I have used Cover King seat covers as well. I like them better than Wet Okole in general, but the "tactical" fabric does not fit nearly as well as Cover King's "Neosupreme" or full Neoprene seat covers. Prices are generally less than Wet Okole for covers made from the company's premium fabrics and significantly less for the standard grade fabrics.

I am currently considering seat covers as a preventative measure to protect the factory fabric irom becoming worn. If I go that route I will purchase Bartact covers. However, the cost of reupholstery is about the same as Bartact covers and the seats would remain original in appearance. Reupholstery is certainly an option worth considering when one gets to the price point of Bartact covers.

___
P.S.

I have used both of these fabric paints/dyes with success:

81GW1TersKL._SL1500_.jpg

51fgHs9FzwL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Hey OP - for what it's worth, I was on a budget and so I opted for the full front/back set of Rough Country's neoprene (gasp!) seat covers. I can't speak to their longevity (i.e. prolonged sun exposure, years of wear and tear) yet but I can tell you the following:

1) For what you get at that price, I'm relatively happy with the purchase - they fit well and pretty snug. They feel fairly substantial. They smell and look good (save for the big RC branding on the headrest)

2) They hold up well with dogs - I've got 2 beagles who don't like their nails clipped. So far, they have not managed to tear through or damage the rear bench cover.

3) I would call them water "resistant" rather than waterproof but they don't sponge up water either - you can brush them off if need be. That goes for food, hair, etc...

I'm sure the more pricey options from like Carhart or something would last longer and be more durable but if you aren't trying to spend that money, I have had a good experience with my RC covers so far. My main priority is just to preserve the original seats in mine though as they are in good shape and I'm anal about clean interiors, car or Jeep.

Like your seat covers !
Have you considered installing some solid armrest/door pulls ? . . . . eg. Misch (was my best interior purchase)
Thanks, I've seen those armrests. Was wondering how well they worked. They look pretty good.

I have tried several different ones on several vehicles. Even with my coverkings (lifetime warranty), I am still on my third drivers side, due to poor stitching, within 2-1/2 years, on my Yukon. And it only has 10k miles in that 2-1/2 years. I went with tecstyle. Not cheapies but not seriously expensive. At this point, I just figure that I'm replacing seat covers every few years.

BTW, the fit on those is quite good.

@overthehill just got Caltrend seat covers and judging by his photo it looks like an excellent fit. They're very inexpensive too: $75 for most of their offerings in different materials, compared to $300 for Bartacts (front seat set for either). I've looked around and seen general positive reviews for these for various vehicles. I do think a choice like this however needs to be specific to a Jeep considering most are looking for seats that can withstand quite a bit more than a closed off, on the road vehicle normally sees.

For $75 though it's a pretty minimal expense to check them out. I like the way they look, probably going to give them a shot soon myself considering my driver's seat is torn in a few places along the side.
I've had the tweed version of these covers in my Toyota for two years and 45
k miles. They still look like new.

Reactions: danof76