Arizona Tow Pigging Daily Driver

Everyone that’s posts these wheels is asking way more than they should. Buying these refurbished online would cost me more than my beadlocks. It’s one of those things where everyone gets trucks new and then gets some silly aftermarket wheels and bumpers and toss out the stock stuff. Then 20 years later everyone is willing to pay up the ass for the long lost stock stuff lol. These were still more expensive than they should have been but considering they came with the tires I want with less than 1k miles on them I couldn’t pass it up. Imo wheels make or break a vehicle so I was willing to splurge on these.

yeah, this guy was asking like 1000 bucks and the tires were shit. Agree on wheels making or breaking a vehicle...its a very important decision.

Reactions: starkey480
yeah, this guy was asking like 1000 bucks and the tires were shit. Agree on wheels making or breaking a vehicle...its a very important decision.

Yup. I paid $1200 for these but with brand new tires that are mounted and balanced. It’s way too much but it is what it is and is still way cheaper than sourcing wheels and tires separate.

Can yall school me on tow hitch receivers? The receiver that came with the truck is a draw tite class 4 hitch with a 2” opening. Do most guys run a class 5 with 2.5” receiver for a crawler hauler? Or is class 4 alright?

So 2” hitch is good? 😂

To haul a jeep? Yep. There should be tongue and trailer weight ratings on that hitch. Your trucks doorjamb sticker will have combined weight ratings and the tires have ratings too.

Realistically your transmission is going to be the limit for your towing. Let off a bit when it shifts and stay out of overdrive.a temp gauge and badass cooler will help too

To haul a jeep? Yep. There should be tongue and trailer weight ratings on that hitch. Your trucks doorjamb sticker will have combined weight ratings and the tires have ratings too.

Realistically your transmission is going to be the limit for your towing. Let off a bit when it shifts and stay out of overdrive.a temp gauge and badass cooler will help too

The truck has a grill mounted trans cooler on it already. I’ll see how that goes first. I’ll get the temp gauge when I’m ready to haul. For a trailer, obviously electric brakes would be nice but would one expect the brakes on this rig to be adequate? Can find pretty cheap trailers without electric brakes on them.

The truck has a grill mounted trans cooler on it already. I’ll see how that goes first. I’ll get the temp gauge when I’m ready to haul. For a trailer, obviously electric brakes would be nice but would one expect the brakes on this rig to be adequate? Can find pretty cheap trailers without electric brakes on them.

Im going to answer my own question. Thinking back on my life’s experiences. There’s been a few times where I was like wow. If I didn’t have this big brake kit on my jeep in that emergency stop situation, I would have surely gotten in an accident. I bet same will apply to the electric brakes. A couple thousand up front is worth avoiding an accident.

Even if your truck has good brakes your load will push the ass end of you truck sideways and jackknife it.possibly roll over. Trailer brakes are a must on a trailer with a total weight of over 1k. They pull the load straight under heavy braking

I've come around corners to a tree in the road and locked up all 8 tires in a panic stop several times. I mostly haul much heavier stuff than my tj but I wouldn't have a trailer without very robust electric brakes and working controller

Last edited:

You need trailer brakes. Any trailer big enough for your jeep will probably also have brakes, unless you're buying someone's homebrew. I think Michigan is 1500 lbs weight limit on trailers without brakes. Total weight, not trailer. So, basically, anything bigger than a 5x8 utility trailer gets brakes.

Re: the 2" vs 2.5. You have a gasser, right? I'd stick with the 2". That should have a 5000 lb limit before you need Weight Distribution.

You need trailer brakes. Any trailer big enough for your jeep will probably also have brakes, unless you're buying someone's homebrew. I think Michigan is 1500 lbs weight limit on trailers without brakes. Total weight, not trailer. So, basically, anything bigger than a 5x8 utility trailer gets brakes.

Re: the 2" vs 2.5. You have a gasser, right? I'd stick with the 2". That should have a 5000 lb limit before you need Weight Distribution.

Looks like 6000 without weight distribution and 10,000 with one

Reactions: Mike_H
I’m guessing the Jeep and trailer will be around 6000 pounds (4500 Jeep + 1500 trailer) so I should be good to go with no weight distribution hitch.

Not necessarily. What does the tow pig weigh? Generally you should use a WDH when the load being towed is close to,or exceeds, the weight of the tow vehicle.

Reactions: Wildman

You should absolutely use a WDH with a 4500 pound tow vehicle pulling 6000 pounds. Many recommendations say to use one when the towed load exceeds 50% of the tow vehicle weight, All recommendations say to use one when the towed weight exceeds the tow vehicle weight. That seems to be you.

Equalizer is the brand of WDH that seems to get the most love. I use one wth my 2016 F150 crew cab towing a 5000 pound travel trailer. Highly recommend it.

You should absolutely use a WDH with a 4500 pound tow vehicle pulling 6000 pounds. Many recommendations say to use one when the towed load exceeds 50% of the tow vehicle weight, All recommendations say to use one when the towed weight exceeds the tow vehicle weight. That seems to be you.

Equalizer is the brand of WDH that seems to get the most love. I use one wth my 2016 F150 crew cab towing a 5000 pound travel trailer. Highly recommend it.

Thanks!

Reactions: Wildman
Im going to answer my own question. Thinking back on my life’s experiences. There’s been a few times where I was like wow. If I didn’t have this big brake kit on my jeep in that emergency stop situation, I would have surely gotten in an accident. I bet same will apply to the electric brakes. A couple thousand up front is worth avoiding an accident.

In AZ, anything towed over 3,000 lbs has to have brakes. Not only will a trailer + your TJ weight as much or more than the truck, it'll be way over the 3k requirement. If you were to be in an accident while towing, even not your fault, good chance your insurance would deny coverage if the setup weren't up to legal requirements.

I'd definitely look for a trailer with electric brakes rather than inertial and install a controller in the truck so you can set up the trailer brakes to modulate to your preference and driving conditions.

Last edited: