Armor / Skid Plating

mgroeger

TJ Enthusiast
The trails we run have some great rocky parts and flat out rock climbing and we love going on them. I'm lifted with no tummy tuck but also am able to keep the transfer case plate bolted to the frame, so no TC plate spacers.
I ordered a Skid Row tranny/oil pan skid and it actually covers part of the exhaust. It's on back order so I figured I'd ask what other areas are at risk and prone to take hits on the trail? Is the steering box that vulnerable?

Steering box, rock sliders, and gas tank. All of mine have taken some hits. Last year I bent part of my body mount, they make skids for them but I haven't seen much on them.

D698D100-E760-4761-A0E5-8A2102E8070F.jpeg
8124461D-6BF3-47B8-9532-5D3180785673.jpeg

Reactions: derekmac
Thanks guys. Definitely getting the steering box one next. I already have LOD sliders and those suckers wrap 6" under the body. I have a massive front diff cover that I need to go back to stock on because of TC collision (whole other thread) but I plan on getting a skid for the lower half.

I think I've dragged just about everything at least once. A tummy tuck makes a tremendous difference. Priority for me is an engine skid.

The front lower control arm mounts should get Currie mini skids welded on.

The earlier steering boxes might be a little more vulnerable than the later Mercedes boxes, but I still intend to get one for mine.

The later gas tank skids are tougher and can also be cut and raised an inch if there is a body lift. Otherwise, Savvy is light, high and tight.

For sliders, I'm torn between Savvy and Genright Mini Boatsides.

An upcoming project for me is to raise the side body mounts and eventually lift the rear bumper.

If/when I do corner armor, I would keep the flares flexible.

I think I've dragged just about everything at least once. A tummy tuck makes a tremendous difference. Priority for me is an engine skid.

The front lower control arm mounts should get Currie mini skids welded on.

The earlier steering boxes might be a little more vulnerable than the later Mercedes boxes, but I still intend to get one for mine.

The later gas tank skids are tougher and can also be cut and raised an inch if there is a body lift. Otherwise, Savvy is light, high and tight.

For sliders, I'm torn between Savvy and Genright Mini Boatsides.

An upcoming project for me is to raise the side body mounts and eventually lift the rear bumper.

If/when I do corner armor, I would keep the flares flexible.

Could you please be more specific? :) Just kidding. Thanks for the info, I do have a body lift so it sounds like that will help down the road.

Reactions: jjvw